Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2016, 19:42   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,381
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
That's an artifact sling, and it's a little out of game character for the Pits of Angband.
The Sling of David (x4) (+17,+20)<+1,+2>
It increases your shooting power by 2
It increases your shooting speed by 1
It increases your dexterity and intelligence by 1.
It protects you from stunning.

Your current ammo will stun your foes with probability 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
How about an ego sling that has a good chance to stun, and gives rStun?
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016, 20:11   #12
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,917
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
How about an ego sling that has a good chance to stun, and gives rStun?
Monster stunning is a very powerful effect, as it robs the monster of turns outright. Having a sling that let you beat on uniques unopposed would probably be overpowered, so the stun chance would have to be small, which in turn makes it less interesting.

The general idea of a weapon that's likely to put debuffs on the enemy is interesting, though our selection of debuffs really needs an overhaul (as I've discussed in the past).
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016, 21:21   #13
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,650
Estie is on a distinguished road
In tome2, haftedmasters could get a chance to stun with every blow; I tried it once, found out that it did basically nothing to deep monsters and moved on.

The mage spell from book 6 (forget the name) feels about right regarding stunning chance; however, the fact that it also destroys potions means I hardly ever use it.

As usual, everything that gives a new effect in play is either useless (ring of the dog) or too powerfull (ring of reckless attack). Making an interesting new option that isnt better than the already existing ones is impossible.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016, 21:57   #14
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,917
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
As usual, everything that gives a new effect in play is either useless (ring of the dog) or too powerfull (ring of reckless attack). Making an interesting new option that isnt better than the already existing ones is impossible.
Or at least very hard, yes. It's an unfortunate side-effect of how swingy and simple Angband combat is. In order for some special effect to be a better option than just hitting the enemy with the biggest attack you have, it has to have a fairly significant impact, but then it's very easy for that impact to be too large, rendering the effect overpowering. Fixing this and giving us more room to "play" would almost certainly require a substantial overhaul of how combat works exactly -- I mean, look at Sil.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016, 09:14   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Monster stunning is a very powerful effect, as it robs the monster of turns outright.
Maybe monster stun should at first do lesser effects like causing them to lose ability to cast spells and miss you in melee more often before it does KO just like player stun does. Maybe slow them down or something like that for turn or two (if successful).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016, 15:46   #16
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,917
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Maybe monster stun should at first do lesser effects like causing them to lose ability to cast spells and miss you in melee more often before it does KO just like player stun does. Maybe slow them down or something like that for turn or two (if successful).
Ahem.

Stupid post length requirement...
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016, 21:01   #17
NotMorgoth
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
Wrestling and some weapons in Sangband can rob the monster of energy. I'm not exactly sure how this works or how effective it is, but I'm guessing it is something like stunning if it sometimes causes a monster to miss its turn.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016, 21:36   #18
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,917
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
Wrestling and some weapons in Sangband can rob the monster of energy. I'm not exactly sure how this works or how effective it is, but I'm guessing it is something like stunning if it sometimes causes a monster to miss its turn.
Assuming it means what I think it means, it should directly delay the monster's next turn.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016, 09:03   #19
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ahem.

Stupid post length requirement...
Great minds...
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slings, bows and ammo fizzix Vanilla 25 December 1, 2009 07:18


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.