AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 8, 2008, 00:44   #11
Orillian
Scout

Orillian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
1. I would like to see some of the temporary status flags moved up to the top left.

The bottom line should, in my view, be kept for 'passive' flags like Searching, but key ones like Blind, Confused, Afraid, which alter what the character can do (particularly in combat), in my view belong up there with or even above the cuts and stuns. This would mean one less place to have to keep checking during large combats (ok, I may be an idiot, but I can't be the only one ever to have died due to not realising my character was Afraid and so wasn't actually hitting the monster just in front of me). I feel that the character would 'know' these things, so from a usability/ergonomics point of view, they should be more obvious to the player.
I would have to agree with this one. there is a LOT of screen space to work with and it would be nice to see the bottom line used for less important stuff. I've been playing Band's for a long time and even now I've come close a couple times to loosing a character due to becoming hungry. For some reason I always miss the notice down at the bottom! I'd love to see status items up higher even along the side bar. Hunger, Poison, Paralized and stuff like that.

Quote:
2. When activating something from the floor using -, if there's only one item on the floor that is possibly usable in that way, there shouldn't be a further prompt where you have to respond with a.

At the least, could I have a user option to do this?
This would be a nice simple interface improvement as well. This same idea could be used for things like eating, instead of prompting you when you only have one type of food. or shooting if you only have one set of arrows etc.

Quote:
6. Monster drops

I had a Swordsman drop a Mace. Not very flavourful. I suspect this would require considerable work for not much noticeable result, but it would be good if drops from armed monsters (humans, orcs, goblins, etc.) would be weighted towards being in flavour. This particularly applies when I'm running short of arrows and I wish I could go knock some of those Black orcs around the corner on the head to scavenge their quivers!)
I also would like to see changes made to monster inventories. It would be great if the creatures had a tendency to drop items in flavor with what they are. Regarding the mention in a post above about this having balance issues, I'd have to disagree. You can't really scum creatures for items, because you simple do not know what creatures are going to appear.Yes I know you can guess that a creature your looking for can show at a particular depth but that does not mean when you get to that level they will be there, and even if the creature you want a drop from IS there it may not drop the item you want anyways. if it's arrows you want that archer can still drop gold or food or some other item instead. Maybe flavor items should be mainly along the lines of weapons and armor, make the chances of non flavor items of these types dropping lower and the flavor drop of these items higher. items like gold and food can still drop without bonus or penalty. Some creatures like jellies would not have flavor drops since a jelly could have any number of items digested from other fallen heroes.

Quote:
9. Level feelings

Now we're on to some bigger things. I find level feelings illogical from a flavour point of view - whys should the length of time you spend on a level govern your hunch about the next level you go to? I understand the gameplay rationale, but I;d prefer flavour to win. How about looking at having a hunch about a level once you've arrived on it, but after an variable length of time based on character level, class, and wisdom, and what the feeling is. So landing on a superb level you'd know much sooner (something in the air...), but a low level character (or someone with no common sense) would have to wait longer than a veteran explorer. Rogues thieves and rangers would probably have an advantage. If you wanted to get complicated about it, perhaps warriors would be particularly sensitive to weapons, while mages would pick up earlier on powerful amulets, rings, etc..

Perhaps it would be possible to get revised - and more accurate - feelings the longer you were on a level.

If you wanted to do this, how about also having scrolls or potions (or staves) that gave you level feelings - a Scroll/Staff of Intuition?

If the idea of moving some status flags up to the top left (see above) was adopted, some of the bottom line could then be given over permanently to the level feeling.
I really like the idea of level feeling happening once you've been on a level for a while, this would greatly reduce the scumming that occurs based on level feeling. And it would lend a bit more realism. Maybe also use the percentage of the level explored as part of the equations to provide a level feeling.

O.
Orillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 02:24   #12
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orillian View Post
This would be a nice simple interface improvement as well. This same idea could be used for things like eating, instead of prompting you when you only have one type of food. or shooting if you only have one set of arrows etc.
While I understand the appeal of interface simplification, there's something to be said for making it harder for you to do things you don't intend. For example, suppose that for a while the only food I carry are Rations, and so I happily press 'E' and eat them without a prompt. But when I switch to Scrolls of Satisfy Hunger, and then start carrying around Mushrooms of Cure something-or-other, I press 'E' out of habit, and now I'm out a useful mushroom.

Other cases could be more serious - for instance, the only scroll I have on me is Word of Recall, and forgetting that I just ran out of ?Identify, I press 'r'. Oops - no vault treasure for me.

Quote:
I also would like to see changes made to monster inventories. It would be great if the creatures had a tendency to drop items in flavor with what they are. Regarding the mention in a post above about this having balance issues, I'd have to disagree. You can't really scum creatures for items, because you simple do not know what creatures are going to appear.Yes I know you can guess that a creature your looking for can show at a particular depth but that does not mean when you get to that level they will be there, and even if the creature you want a drop from IS there it may not drop the item you want anyways. if it's arrows you want that archer can still drop gold or food or some other item instead. Maybe flavor items should be mainly along the lines of weapons and armor, make the chances of non flavor items of these types dropping lower and the flavor drop of these items higher. items like gold and food can still drop without bonus or penalty. Some creatures like jellies would not have flavor drops since a jelly could have any number of items digested from other fallen heroes.

I really like the idea of level feeling happening once you've been on a level for a while, this would greatly reduce the scumming that occurs based on level feeling. And it would lend a bit more realism. Maybe also use the percentage of the level explored as part of the equations to provide a level feeling.

O.
I do agree with both of these, however
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2008, 01:53   #13
Orillian
Scout

Orillian is on a distinguished road
maybe make the single button press option only work if you've inscribed the item with auto or something like that. That way you still have to inscribe a stack of food to work with this quick option.

Mainly I'd like to see a much quicker way to fire arrows or bolts or use a sling etc. I can see needing to take time to pick an item to throw but shooting a ranged weapon should happen just as easily as swinging your sword. I don't know, maybe adding a quiver with the ability to hold arrows would help with this. arrows in quiver fire automatically, you want to fire a branded arrow swap to quiver. not sure, but sometimes the need to press buttons gets in the way of enjoying the game.....but only sometimes. :P

O.
Orillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2008, 10:34   #14
slashme
Rookie

slashme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
maybe adding a quiver with the ability to hold arrows would help with this. arrows in quiver fire automatically, you want to fire a branded arrow swap to quiver. not sure, but sometimes the need to press buttons gets in the way of enjoying the game.....but only sometimes. :P

O.
TomeNet already does this, and it's actually pretty cool, IMHO:

*More realistic: Who would dig through a backpack to find arrows in a fight? (OK, same goes for potions and scrolls, but realism has its limits ;-)
*Makes cursed arrows more of an issue
*Makes selection of ammo more of a serious decision
*As you say, makes the firing easier.
Old February 15, 2008, 00:16   #15
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=takkaria;5222]
Quote:
Everything "of Free Action" -> "of Resist Paralysis" (to be consistent with every other kind of resistance)[/quite]

Free action sounds better.
Also, Free Action covers Slow spells as well as paralysis. Not a major effect in comparison but Free Action is not exactly equivalent to Resist Paralysis.
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2008, 06:19   #16
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Daniel Fishman;5573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post

Also, Free Action covers Slow spells as well as paralysis. Not a major effect in comparison but Free Action is not exactly equivalent to Resist Paralysis.
How about Resist Slowing? With Paralysis being the Ultimate in Slowness
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008, 14:17   #17
slashme
Rookie

slashme is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Rizwan;5580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishman View Post

How about Resist Slowing? With Paralysis being the Ultimate in Slowness
Actually, "free action" is not just "resist slowing": As has been pointed out, gloves of FA are nice for mages, but also, FA doesn't stop you being slowed by certain types of attack (think Gravity Z...)
Old March 18, 2008, 13:48   #18
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
4. Object knowledge order

When displaying rings, potions, etc., could we have it in some sensible order? Personally I prefer to have cursed items first, and then good items in ascending order (I had hacked some files in 3.0.6 to do this), but alphabetical would do as well. At the moment they're in no order at all, due to just being taken in order from the item file, and that has evolved and grown over time.
Actually, this is not the case. Currently, items are sorted by: aware status, tried status, and then if they aren't aware, they are sorted by flavour name, and if they are then by cost.

Changed, anyway, so things are sorted alphabetically.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008, 16:06   #19
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
Thanks Andrew, and sorry I wasn't clearer - I meant that the identified items were unsorted. I'm pretty certain that when I looked at this back in 3.0.6, the order of display was the N: order from objects.txt, but I could be wrong.
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008, 18:25   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The current sort is by gold value, then depth, then N: or name. The benefit of this is that all worthless magic items get sorted first, utility potions second, and valuable potions last.
I don't think sorting entirely alphabetically will improve things.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote