AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 26, 2010, 16:03   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
A couple of things...

The ranger spell 'slow poison' doesn't seem to do anything and it doesn't provide the "you are less poisoned" message.

Should re-animating undead leave a corpse behind (and possibly a way to destroy the corpse). Then the corpse could either regenerate or decay (disappear) after xx turns.
Old June 26, 2010, 17:39   #12
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
The ranger's slow poison spell should work properly, the code is exactly the same as the priest's slow poison. There never was any message for slow poison, is that something added in new V? I noticed they added several extra messages ("you don't find anything", "you don't sense any traps", etc). I can see that they are to let the player know that the spell worked, but the message for searching "you don't find anything" is just annoying.

It has always been assumed that corpses are uninteresting and not worth showing as an item, but that assumption doesn't work when we have monsters that return from the dead. Then again, I really don't feel like adding corpses, especially when all you'd have to do to destroy it is press ^d. I don't think it's nessesary.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010, 06:43   #13
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
The ranger's slow poison spell should work properly, the code is exactly the same as the priest's slow poison. There never was any message for slow poison, is that something added in new V? I noticed they added several extra messages ("you don't find anything", "you don't sense any traps", etc). I can see that they are to let the player know that the spell worked, but the message for searching "you don't find anything" is just annoying.
I'm half with you that "nothing detected" messages are annoying. However, just as annoying is wondering if I hit the wrong key stroke sequence. In a game where on screen actions happen faster than the blink of an eye, I wouldn't discount the usefulness of possibly annoying notifications.

Casting slow poison and then *nothing* makes you wonder is anything at all happened, since you're still poisoned. In my case, I must have been quite heavily poisoned, as it persisted for a long time even after the spell had been cast. I'm assuming it's a 50% reduction as in V. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
It has always been assumed that corpses are uninteresting and not worth showing as an item, but that assumption doesn't work when we have monsters that return from the dead. Then again, I really don't feel like adding corpses, especially when all you'd have to do to destroy it is press ^d. I don't think it's necessary.
I was only suggesting corpses for things that have a chance of coming back to life, else you're kind of cheating the player. Destroying it needn't be so absolutely trivial. Just my 2 cents.

This is just my first impression upon coming across reanimation such as this. Maybe I'll be less offended by it once I get more used to it (as is so much in Angband).
Old June 27, 2010, 17:08   #14
buzzkill
Prophet

... and as long as I'm nit-picking DaJ let me add that the rangers blink spell seems to come a too low of a mana cost. I'm hopping around (almost) like a freaking mage. As long as I'm using my mana primarily for blink, it regenerates almost as fast as I spend it (at CL25).
Old June 28, 2010, 01:27   #15
buzzkill
Prophet

I received the message "The trapper wakes up." which made it very easy to locate. I was otherwise unaware and would have walked right into it. Perhaps trappers should be always awake, or otherwise shielded from revealing themselves.
Old June 28, 2010, 06:57   #16
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I received the message "The trapper wakes up." which made it very easy to locate. I was otherwise unaware and would have walked right into it. Perhaps trappers should be always awake, or otherwise shielded from revealing themselves.
That's a bug. I'll try to fix it before next release (which won't be until at least September).

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote