Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on no_selling?
I enjoy not having to think about money. 29 67.44%
I'm divided -- I play a little bit of both. 5 11.63%
I like to lug loot to town and sell it the way it has always been. 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2020, 21:12   #21
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
A couple thoughts:

- It occurs to me that it might be possible to add a new element to the game that either complements selling or replaces it. For whatever reason, I've always had the idea that artifacts, even if useless to me, should be returned to town. (I mean, I've rediscovered a legendary item! It just seems wrong to leave it in the dungeon.) So, one way to add another element of interest to the game would be to create a ninth building in town, the museum. They only buy and never sell, but it would give you a place to take artifacts you don't need. (I realize this may not appeal to many — you can always see a list of all the artifacts you've found using "display artifact knowledge" — but I thought I'd throw it out there.)
ToME 2 had the Mathom House where you could donate artifacts.

I'm pretty happy with how the game is now. Someone who wants to clear every level and haul back loot to sell can do so. Someone who wants to dive and not worry about loot can do so. I used to really enjoy the former but now when I play it's usually the latter. I think the no-sell makes sense as the default but I wouldn't object to an alert at character creation to make this more clear.

It might be fun to think about a hybrid system where you could start with selling then switch to no-sell (and maybe no money/free consumables) later.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2020, 03:36   #22
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
All this argument would vanish if birth options and all other options were read from a text file. Sort of annoying to me that I can give Morgoth 50 HP but I have to go through all the options every time I start a new character, and remember to change the birth options before I start.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2020, 06:15   #23
Raerick
Rookie

Raerick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
All this argument would vanish if birth options and all other options were read from a text file. Sort of annoying to me that I can give Morgoth 50 HP but I have to go through all the options every time I start a new character, and remember to change the birth options before I start.
I think a solution would be for birth options should come up automatically prior to selecting race.
Raerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2020, 03:31   #24
godshatter
Rookie

godshatter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I like no selling; but having it on by default is frequently very confusing to new players (and to returning old players used to having selling on).
I play with selling on, because that's the game I've been trying to beat for years. But I like having the option. If i can ever defeat the big guy, I'll probably try a run without it.

However, the problem I see with having no selling as the default is that players that encounter it for the first time get confused because you have shops, they have a sell option, and being able to buy without being able to sell seems odd, so they think the game is broken rather than immediately understanding that it's a different way to play.

I'm not sure what to do about it, it seems to break the idea of a shop if you're not allowed to sell, even if that's what normal life is like for most shops in RL. I wonder if just getting rid of shops with that option turned on is better. Have recharging stations, ID stations, and whatnot and maybe places you can upgrade your equipment for a price. Maybe a kiosk for consumables. Things that don't intrinsically assume a buying/selling arrangement. I doubt that would be fun in practice, though.
godshatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 03:42   #25
Angdrim
Rookie

Angdrim is on a distinguished road
I like selling for two reasons:

- It makes the game harder. If there isn't lots of cash lying around (I assume if selling is on the amount of money on the floor drops), you need to use inventory space to haul your goodies around. And inventory space is one of the primary limitations in Angband. Anything that uses up inventory space is going to make the game harder, which I like.

- It preserves the last bits of role playing in the game. (This was especially true when half-trolls had to worry about low charisma and racist shop keepers.) Angband has never been a role playing-heavy role playing game, but when you go into a shop and get asked if you want to give away your Longsword of Gondolin it's a really sharp reminder that you're playing a puzzle game and not really a role playing game.
Angdrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 04:03   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ang--
Not really.
1.. You will *always* drop expensive junk in favor of actually useful items.
2. The nominal value of expensive junk increases way faster than gold drops, after the first 10-ish dungeon levels.
3. You are unlikely to fill your inventory with useful items until well into the game, when you're carrying swaps, resistant potions, multiple spellbooks, etc.
4. No selling may end up with more gold at the end, but it takes a looong time to get there: early in the game, sellers get more gold, and the reason gold drops wiin in the end is because few people bother to sell after some few hundred K gold.

What selling DOES do is encourage you to recall more often.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 05:06   #27
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
For role playing, I would like to be able to interact with shopkeepers by other means than just buying/selling/browsing. After all, both Luthien and Rincewind are shopkeepers in Angband
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote