AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 11, 2020, 04:03   #1
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
lag in 4.2.1

so, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wr7a1RJ8Y8

not the best example, but, look at the mana regenerating. This is me doing a R&[enter]

what is normally a flash, now takes several seconds.

I have plenty of time to cast light, read the message "you are surrounded by light or whatever" and then a couple seconds go by, THEN the room lights up.
Old June 12, 2020, 04:05   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
The lag is pretty severe. Just lost a quite promising @ on angband.live due to the lag. Extra keypress. Damnit! Quite frustrating.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2020, 06:16   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
The lag is pretty severe. Just lost a quite promising @ on angband.live due to the lag. Extra keypress. Damnit! Quite frustrating.
Do you have any idea whether this was game lag, or internet lag? The first I have some control over (and will look into), the second not so much.
Old June 12, 2020, 07:18   #4
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
it's offline lag. mine is on my own pc, not on .live
Old June 12, 2020, 07:24   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Do you have any idea whether this was game lag, or internet lag? The first I have some control over (and will look into), the second not so much.
I'm pretty sure it is game lag. It appears indicative only to 4.2.1.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2020, 13:24   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Well, I've filed it as an issue. Any sense of whether it's been in the nightlies for a while, or is recent?
Old June 12, 2020, 14:01   #7
Cuboideb
Scout

Cuboideb is on a distinguished road
I've noticed the thing with 'R'est for a while, never give it importance until now.
Cuboideb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 01:47   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Preliminary investigations lead me to the following conclusions:
  • A lot of the real-world time passing during resting is because of the game updating noise and scent, which doesn't actually need updating while the player is not resting. Fixing this speeds things up a bit.
  • Shockbolt tiles are a huge overhead, apparently largely due to having to allow for double-height tiles. I timed resting for 3000 turns, with these results:
    • Ascii - 4 seconds
    • Gervais tiles - 4 seconds
    • Shockbolt tiles - 26 seconds
    This is rough, and in fact the time depends on other things - I tested again with less monsters in view, and Shockbolt came down to about 10 seconds. This was all done with the noise update fix in place; without that, it was about 50% longer.
  • I was unable to detect any lack of responsiveness to commands, except for when I had the delay factor set high so that things like room-lighting were slow.
Old June 13, 2020, 03:23   #9
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[/LIST][*]I was unable to detect any lack of responsiveness to commands, except for when I had the delay factor set high so that things like room-lighting were slow.[/LIST]
So I tried a bit online & I dropped the delay factor from the default 40 down to 3. It's better, particularly when running down a corridor but I still get a fair bit of lag if I enter a large room with monsters in it. The whole 4.x series is noticeably laggier online then older versions, I haven't played much of 4.2.1 so I'm unsure whether its getting better or worse.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 04:43   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
So I tried a bit online & I dropped the delay factor from the default 40 down to 3. It's better, particularly when running down a corridor but I still get a fair bit of lag if I enter a large room with monsters in it. The whole 4.x series is noticeably laggier online then older versions, I haven't played much of 4.2.1 so I'm unsure whether its getting better or worse.
Yes, this is unsurprising. I think there are three main things that account for it, which were deliberate design decisions on my part:
  1. More frequent screen updates, so that the player can see monsters moving while they are running or resting;
  2. More detailed monster AI, or more precisely less shortcuts in monster AI;
  3. Sacrifice of efficiency for readability of code.
All these I deemed to be reasonable on the grounds of improving the game (and its maintainability) at the expense of efficiencies which were no longer required because of increase in computer speeds since Angband was first written.

None of this is to say that efficiencies can't be made (and the noise update one I mentioned is an example), but at a certain point it becomes a trade-off between efficiency and other game features. And I'm a bit reluctant to cut features which improve the quality and immersion of the game for the sake of those who are choosing to use massively inefficient graphical tiles or transmit all their keystrokes halfway around the planet before they have an effect