Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2014, 22:10   #371
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,371
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadok View Post
Why are Easterling Warriors so damn tough? What are their stats?
The stat you are probably having trouble with is their protection, which I think is 3d4. They're one of the earliest enemies who matter that have this much protection.

You want a lot of criticals (finesse + high melee, low weapon weight) or, more realistically just a big-dice weapon (battle-axe, bastard sword) possibly wielded 2-handed to punch through it.

I think a heavier longbow with high strength could probably make short work of them as well.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 15:58   #372
Zadok
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Zadok is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
The stat you are probably having trouble with is their protection, which I think is 3d4. They're one of the earliest enemies who matter that have this much protection.

You want a lot of criticals (finesse + high melee, low weapon weight) or, more realistically just a big-dice weapon (battle-axe, bastard sword) possibly wielded 2-handed to punch through it.

I think a heavier longbow with high strength could probably make short work of them as well.
Thank you very much! Hope my next encounter turns out better.
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014, 11:43   #373
Patashu
Knight
 
Patashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 526
Patashu is on a distinguished road
So when is marvinpa-sil getting merged into sil
__________________
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014, 21:08   #374
locus
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 165
locus is on a distinguished road
I hope Sil continues to cherrypick the best ideas from MarvinPA-Sil while leaving the highly-rationalized stuff to those who want that sort of thing enough to seek out a variant. I would hate to see Sil go down the road Crawl is currently going down.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014, 11:26   #375
taptap
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 710
taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by locus View Post
I hope Sil continues to cherrypick the best ideas from MarvinPA-Sil while leaving the highly-rationalized stuff to those who want that sort of thing enough to seek out a variant. I would hate to see Sil go down the road Crawl is currently going down.
Can you elaborate?
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014, 21:16   #376
locus
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 165
locus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Can you elaborate?
Well, I don't want to get too heavy into other-roguelike politics, but there have been a lot of controversial changes to Crawl recently that have cut core gameplay mechanics in the name of streamlining (carry weight limits, item destruction, butchering corpses for food, etc). I come down on the "Crawl is ruined, thank God I can just play Sil instead" side of the controversy, so I really don't want to see Sil follow in Crawl's footsteps.

MarvinPA is one of the people on the Crawl devteam, which is why it's relevant. I'm not just taking this opportunity to whine as a non-sequitur.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014, 17:27   #377
Infinitum
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 240
Infinitum is on a distinguished road
They removed the incessant chunk-gobbling from Crawl? Good riddance.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014, 17:34   #378
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,371
debo is on a distinguished road
Hi http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I think the obvious next step for Sil to take is to turn it into Sil X Street Fighter
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2014, 00:46   #379
Patashu
Knight
 
Patashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 526
Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Hi http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I think the obvious next step for Sil to take is to turn it into Sil X Street Fighter
Is there really no roguelike based on Street Fighter yet? Given Metroid and Megaman and so on have been covered, this seems a large oversight.
__________________
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2014, 10:47   #380
half
Knight
 
half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 904
half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
They removed the incessant chunk-gobbling from Crawl? Good riddance.
Yes, the need to constantly hit some combination of keys to butcher and eat things was one of my worst memories of Crawl. Those major streamlining changes to Crawl sound interesting. I can see good reasons behind them, but am not sure whether it would feel right after them -- I'd need to play it to be sure. Perhaps forking it and seeing which one people preferred would have been a good way to do it.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.