AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 13, 2013, 22:06   #231
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
e: NPR is National Public Radio, i.e about the closest thing we have to real news over here...
Hey, we also get the BBC!

Why these guys are interested in the LP audience, I have no idea. And anyway I get the impression that LPs on YouTube are of rather variable quality. Mostly I just read/watch some of the stuff that shows up on LP Archive.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2013, 15:59   #232
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
New episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEGaN0jJm0
Old December 19, 2013, 14:55   #233
debo
Veteran

Next episode in the clouded edain hador series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2daXUtnrWk
Old December 21, 2013, 20:19   #234
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
LP audience
Maybe they want to do something similar to LP by themselves, and want to ask, how to do it better.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014, 20:23   #235
debo
Veteran

Hi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2pbZ6yEJVw
Old September 30, 2014, 13:18   #236
debo
Veteran

Basil donated a sneaky / singer pacifist ttyrec about a billion years ago, and I just got around to casting it now. Here's part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9vKsXeN78
Old September 30, 2014, 13:43   #237
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Basil donated a sneaky / singer pacifist ttyrec about a billion years ago, and I just got around to casting it now. Here's part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9vKsXeN78
Am I missing some major information, how is the permanent silence singing going to help? I thought it only reduces noise (traps, bashing, digging, alarm, songs).
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014, 14:08   #238
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Am I missing some major information, how is the permanent silence singing going to help? I thought it only reduces noise (traps, bashing, digging, alarm, songs).
iirc, you make a base amount of noise when you walk. You also make a base amount of smell

If you enter debug mode (Ctrl-a, 'Gondolin'), then do Ctrl-a -> 'O' and pick 'display noise levels' or 'display scent levels', you can see how all this "works". I have no idea what effect it has directly on stealth or how monsters follow, but it Does Something.

Song of Silence doesn't seem to visibly change the flow, but it possibly affects directly how monsters "hear" you, so I dunno.

Edit: see 'void monster_perception(...)' in melee2.c -- it looks like song of silence directly affects the difficulty of being spotted due to your 'noise flow' and any noise you're making due to combat. This factors directly into the effective monster perception for your stealth check. Also, for some insane reason, this is where your concentration attacks are counted as well I remember looking for that once.

Last edited by debo; September 30, 2014 at 14:21.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014, 14:57   #239
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
iirc, you make a base amount of noise when you walk. You also make a base amount of smell

If you enter debug mode (Ctrl-a, 'Gondolin'), then do Ctrl-a -> 'O' and pick 'display noise levels' or 'display scent levels', you can see how all this "works". I have no idea what effect it has directly on stealth or how monsters follow, but it Does Something.

Song of Silence doesn't seem to visibly change the flow, but it possibly affects directly how monsters "hear" you, so I dunno.
Well silence is implemented as perception penalty (says so somewhere, probably easiest way so it affects your listening as well). It isn't all that clear from the in-game-description and the manual, however that noise is THE major component of stealth. I always imagined: you are running around in plain sight with light sources in a convincing disguise, so obviously you are disguised as an easterling! This makes it somewhat surprising to me if silence turns out to be a plain stealth bonus not a dampener for obvious noises. Not sure anymore, no wonder ppl were using silence so much more than I did.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014, 15:13   #240
debo
Veteran

I think the obvious noises trigger a separate stealth check with a steep difficulty, which is where Silence obvious helps the most. The silence bonus counts against noise, but if there's only 2 noise to counteract and you have a silence bonus of 20, I don't think it's going to do more than help you by 2.

This is largely conjecture, I didn't have time to backtrace all the different monster_perception calls to see how they were setting their base difficulty.