Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old March 14, 2015, 19:45   #1
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
I made a roguelike - Into the Darkness

The gameplay is based around playing cards to battle enemies, that once used return to the pack to be replaced by new ones. This means each battle is different than the last and by combining cards you can form new strategies.

It was done in seven days for the 7DRL competition and can be played online in a browser here:

http://tjs.itch.io/into-the-darkness

If anyone could give it a go and let me know what they think it would be ace.

TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015, 22:38   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
That's fun. The only problem I found was that the card descriptions go off the edge of the frame.
Old March 14, 2015, 23:22   #3
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That's fun. The only problem I found was that the card descriptions go off the edge of the frame.
Cool thanks for playing, any ideas for improving it at all?

I've made the game window a bit narrower now so hopefully this problem is fixed (although it depends how far off the screen it was going).
Old March 15, 2015, 00:16   #4
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Hey quick question... Am I looking for stairs down to the next level, or do I need to kill everything on the level to advance. Only played a little so far but am having fun. I like the concept of cards... that's a pretty neat idea! Also, is it possible to have multiple copies of one card in your hand at a time? I've yet to see it in my 3, or 4 games.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 00:24   #5
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Hey quick question... Am I looking for stairs down to the next level, or do I need to kill everything on the level to advance. Only played a little so far but am having fun. I like the concept of cards... that's a pretty neat idea! Also, is it possible to have multiple copies of one card in your hand at a time? I've yet to see it in my 3, or 4 games.
Hey there, no you can go down the stairs as soon as you get to them, although there should be a boss that spawns on them that you probably will have to deal with first.

No you have a pack of different cards (one of each) and when you use one it goes to the back and you get another one dealt out so you can't get the same card in your hand twice (or at least that is how it should work, it was all done in a bit of a hurry).

Anyway glad you're liking the game and if you have any suggestions for ideas or improvements then let me know!
Old March 15, 2015, 01:22   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Cool thanks for playing, any ideas for improving it at all?

I've made the game window a bit narrower now so hopefully this problem is fixed (although it depends how far off the screen it was going).
So far (and I've only played a couple of games, carelessly) it seems great. Very inventive idea.

The descriptions are still going off a little, but only the last character now, I think.
Old March 15, 2015, 16:27   #7
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So far (and I've only played a couple of games, carelessly) it seems great. Very inventive idea.

The descriptions are still going off a little, but only the last character now, I think.
Hey I've moved the screen over slightly now so that issue should hopefully be completely fixed now.

Thanks for the praise! If the idea has got legs I might flesh it out a bit more and refine some of the mechanics (particularly in dealing with groups of monsters which is a bit weak at the moment).
Old March 15, 2015, 17:31   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Played a couple of games today, was fun. I just looped round the fire king instead of fighting him, I'm not sure if you intended for that to be possible.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 19:50   #9
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Played a couple of games today, was fun. I just looped round the fire king instead of fighting him, I'm not sure if you intended for that to be possible.
Ha yes I thought about that but didn't have time to prevent it. If you can get round him without dying then that is fair enough I think (plus you'll miss out on the extra cards you get from killing him).

Maybe I might get around to make him stay closer to the stairs (although that might introduce some different exploits where you lurk on the edge of his wandering radius).
Old March 15, 2015, 20:07   #10
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Fun game! I played a few more rounds today. I killed the level one boss twice.
I used a Reversal/self-sacrifice/poison, then walked backwards 2 steps to kill him. Pretty fun interactions you can create.

How many cards are there in total?

Oh, and I think I found a glitch in the black spaces between Current Cards and Discard Cards/Shuffle cards. If you hover over those spaces you can see what I guess I would call invisible cards. The game displays what they do and you can click them to use them. For example, at the start of the game there is a space between the last card and discard cards that you can hover over. But, you can actually just empty your entire hand then hover over the entire range and see the behavior.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote