Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 26, 2018, 17:16   #11
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Ignore what I said, it's totally wrong. Damage reduction from AC does max out at 240 but higher AC can still affect hit rates. (Pos-likes have different, lower caps.)
Old April 26, 2018, 17:34   #12
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
This.

I made a wretched mistake in my last deep-diver. Gave up on 302 AC for a bit more speed, a bit more stealth. It was not, in any way, a wise move. I panicked, forced descent, and was only at a 25-ish speed, wanted 30+ native. Should have kept armour as it was, relied on 302 and a rod of speed to get the job done.

Ironically, I think it was a concern over nether resistance that moved me out of the 302 into 250-ish, and the end result of @'s death? Nether.... a
AC only protects against melee damage. Mosters that do high melee damage are few and far between, combatting them for more than 1 round is a concious decision and so avoidable and even if you happen to take a large chunk in 1 round, it costs 1 ?phase at most to recover the situation.

If you die because your AC was 250 and not 300, you have bad habits.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 18:36   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
AC only protects against melee damage. Mosters that do high melee damage are few and far between, combatting them for more than 1 round is a concious decision and so avoidable and even if you happen to take a large chunk in 1 round, it costs 1 ?phase at most to recover the situation.

What's worse is that a lot of melee attacks deal full damage regardless of your AC. I think any attack that has a special effect (like burn, confuse, drain, etc.) listed on the monster memory, or that uses non-impactful verbs like touch, gaze, shriek, etc. does not have its damage mitigated by AC. In particular, titans all hit to confuse, which means that you're taking a full 12d12 (for greater titans, 9d9 for lesser, 13d13 for Atlas) from every blow that hits you.

The monster will still have more trouble actually hitting you if you have high AC. So it's not worthless.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018, 00:21   #14
jpers36
Rookie

jpers36 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I updated my character dump yesterday, and Sphara's already made some good recommendations!
jpers36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018, 02:10   #15
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post

The challenge I had was the forced descent/no recall, combined with the need to gear up for the last run. I was running into nasty nether-casters, and felt I needed a little *something* ti get a resist.

Forced D, I have found, puts a premium on making inventory decisions for the long term, with little room left for error. @, a warrior, had chewed up inventory, had little left, and was being chased all around LvL 92 (IIRC) by a couple of nasties, including a reaver, and the TO-and-run routine wasn't getting much traction. I had to make a decision: keep chewing up inventory running away, or try to make a fighting break to a stairway. Were it not for the FD, then a recall, or stair up, or Teleport Level would all been splendid options.

What I learn from that is not to discard teleport level just because of forced descent.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018, 14:49   #16
jpers36
Rookie

jpers36 is on a distinguished road
Updated my character on the ladder. Bringor is still going strong!

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21574
jpers36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018, 18:04   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Recommendations:
Going without acid AND poison resistance is pretty daring. Yeah, youncan get by without either one--they are the least dangerous of the 5 elements. But risks with them add up, especially with relatively high TO fail rate for warriors. Much safer to give up a point each of STR/CON and put on MHDSM or the equivalent elvenkind.

Keep best Damage ring you find
Ditto for speed ring
You'll never use strength ring again. CON ring, just possibly
You've got some pure garbage at home. Helm of seeing, etc should go. Calris is just better than Anduril (never mind the rest of them), and neither one is quite endgame in any case (though I certainly have killed M with Calris.)

Leave most of your heal, etc. at home. You will lose less to freezing that way. Especially *heal*/life, which you are pretty short on.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote