Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 23, 2010, 09:26   #11
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
I've used priest's earthquake spell a couple of times to block the path for nasties so they won't chase me, especially hounds. Sometimes it worked. I don't remember ever using _Earthquake, though.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010, 10:46   #12
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycombinator View Post
I've used priest's earthquake spell a couple of times to block the path for nasties so they won't chase me, especially hounds. Sometimes it worked. I don't remember ever using _Earthquake, though.
Earthquake can be used to gain access to vaults without means to dig, and they can be used as poor mans destruction for vaults that contain monsters you can't handle (monster embedded in stone is treated like monster deleted by *destruction*). I have used it against CGVs for both reasons.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010, 14:22   #13
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Maybe it is more the inventory management issue though, slots are so valuable that semi-valuable things like staves often get passed over.

I know at low/mid levels stuff like staves of sleep/slow could be really powerful. When I played my NPP druid, I actually carried staff of sleep for some time, for stronghold levels. Staves are imho powerful, just ... well ... so few inventory slots.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010, 14:23   #14
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Maybe it is more the inventory management issue though, slots are so valuable that semi-valuable things like staves often get passed over.

I know at low/mid levels stuff like staves of sleep/slow could be really powerful. When I played my NPP druid, I actually carried staff of sleep for some time, for stronghold levels. Staves are imho powerful, just ... well ... so few inventory slots.
Sleep/slow/confuse are incredibly underpowered in V. Even against monsters that are vulnerable (and there are few) they tend to wake up/get unconfused almost immediately. They are last ditch escapes, until I can afford a _teleport.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010, 14:40   #15
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Sleep/slow/confuse are incredibly underpowered in V. Even against monsters that are vulnerable (and there are few) they tend to wake up/get unconfused almost immediately. They are last ditch escapes, until I can afford a _teleport.
Stunning OTOH works pretty well, even against many uniques. Too bad there are no "sound wave" or similar staff. Or wand that when hit stuns the target.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010, 14:48   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
Stunning OTOH works pretty well, even against many uniques. Too bad there are no "sound wave" or similar staff. Or wand that when hit stuns the target.
IMO Sangband has a much better balance between devices and inventory space. With the exception of warriors, most V chars don't bother with most devices, and even warriors are better off with archery than with offensive devices. In Sang the offensive power of devices is far greater, making them viable for inv space a lot longer. (Plus archery is much less overpowered, of course.)

Cranking up the power of sleep/slow/confuse would be a good thing IMO.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2010, 19:42   #17
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Well, I've just used earthquake spell as a poor man's destruction. Great vault at dlvl 71 (spiral corridor with 1x1 cells) with a dozen of OoD uniques including Tarrasque, Kronos and Maeglin, and I haven't yet found a single destruction scroll or staff in the game. Repeatedly pressing 'p3f' is boring, but works well: eventually everyone except wall-eaters and pass-wall monsters (Maeglin, black reaver, archlich) was embedded in the rock. Spiral pattern is totally impenetrable by the path-finding algorithm, so they could be safely teleported away.
That kind of vault-cracking feels a bit like cheating... but whatever, 5d8 lance with *slay undead* justifies it all
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2010, 20:37   #18
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
What I would do is reduce the chance of producing a floor tile where there was previously rock so it won't usually open new paths. This would make it a pretty good group breaker. Turn a potentially deadly group of hounds into just a couple that can get to you and a bunch of other little pockets. This would introduce a bias that repeated castings would tend to create solid stone. Making it treat stone with only two adjacent stone ignoring diagonals as corridor would reduce the bias. So would leaving the chance of producing an open floor where previously was magma.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:04   #19
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
What I would do is reduce the chance of producing a floor tile where there was previously rock so it won't usually open new paths. This would make it a pretty good group breaker. Turn a potentially deadly group of hounds into just a couple that can get to you and a bunch of other little pockets. This would introduce a bias that repeated castings would tend to create solid stone. Making it treat stone with only two adjacent stone ignoring diagonals as corridor would reduce the bias. So would leaving the chance of producing an open floor where previously was magma.
How about it randomly places a bunch of rubble piles instead of doing any of the above suggestions. (along with removing its current activity)
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2010, 03:08   #20
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
apparently I'm crazy, but I often consider _earthquakes a critical inventory item until I have reliable escapes and/or _destruction start showing up.

They are not my first choice, but early in the game I can usually spare an inventory slot, and if I have the STR for it, it's always good to have one more last-ditch escape option. I often will use three or four charges in a row against hounds, orcs, etc to break up LOS and/or buy time until a panic ?recall kicks in.

Like I said, not optimal, but for aggressive (read: unlikely to win) gameplay, I find them useful.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote