Black knight
Death knight
Ighalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018, 11:59   #32
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
My current favourites are blackguard and marauder.
Old March 9, 2018, 13:32   #33
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
My current favourites are blackguard and marauder.
I still really like Corsair, as it is thematic with Tolkien.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018, 13:47   #34
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
I like Blackguard and Corsair.

So, the way I see the archetype, a comparison to paladins is due. Paladins get strong melee, second only to a warrior, and lots of powerful healing/evil smiting abilities besides. They pay for it with poor dungeoneering skills.

I would see the blackguard making the same tradeoff asthe paladin, except instead of combining strong melee with protection and healing, they combine it with debuff spells and damage spells good enough to be competitive with missile weapons.

Since healing and utility spells (detection/teleportation etc) probably help keep @ alive more than offensive power does, this setup should probably make the class more difficult to actually win with as a paladin, but hopefully with deceptive moments of glory when @ is facing down a horde of enemies.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018, 13:54   #35
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Corsair implies pirate. Somehow, that gave me the idea of giving the class very good mobility (shadowdancer type) as part of their gimmick. Spells that do AoE damage or debuff around you and phase you away, spells that enhance a melee attack and also move you to a selected monster, maybe a buff (or a transformation, I guess) that makes walking extremely cheap. Either that or some kind of way to heal by murdering folks.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018, 18:03   #36
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Corsair implies pirate.
As described in the lotr.wikia.com :

The Corsairs of Umbar are a race of Men, or specifically of corrupted Númenóreans, living in Middle-earth, known for their piracy of ships along the coasts of Gondor.

Umbar was an old Númenórean haven settled by the King's Men, a proud faction loyal to the King and opposed to the divine authority of the Valar.

After the downfall of Númenor, the Umbar settlers further descended into evil, and were called the Black Númenóreans. They took to pillaging and piracy along the coasts of Gondor, but in TA 933 Umbar was conquered by Gondor; however Umbar was besieged by the Black Númenóreans and Haradrim until TA 1050, when the siege was over after being defeated by King Hyarmendacil I of Gondor.

During the Kin-strife, the defeated rebels of Gondor fled to Umbar, being called Corsairs, most of them being Dúnedain. At this time Umbar became the hated enemy of Gondor, from TA 1448 to TA 1810. Over time these sailors drew to their number various outlaws and brigands from outlying settlements surrounding the Anduin, and they took to raiding along the southern coast of Gondor, intercepting merchant vessels and abducting women to bolster their dissident community. They were also slavers and would often seize a ship's crew along with her cargo; if any resisted, they would be thrown overboard.

In TA 1810 Gondor retook Umbar, but shortly after, in TA 1846, Umbar was lost to Haradrim and new Corsairs emerged. Since then and by the time of the War of the Ring, the Corsairs had mixed with the Southrons, becoming a mixed people where Númenórean blood was mostly gone.

During the War of the Ring at the time of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, a Corsair fleet on route to Harlond after overrunning Pelargir with intentions of further raids on Gondor and to aid the forces of Mordor in the battle. Aragorn, with the help of the Grey Company, Legolas, Gimli, and the Army of the Dead, drove the Corsairs off and captured their ships and rowed them to Minas Tirith to relieve the siege of the city. In that battle, the Dead fulfilled their oath to Isildur and were finally able to rest in peace.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018, 23:06   #37
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
So, the way I see the archetype, a comparison to paladins is due. Paladins get strong melee, second only to a warrior, and lots of powerful healing/evil smiting abilities besides. They pay for it with poor dungeoneering skills.

I would see the blackguard making the same tradeoff as the paladin, except instead of combining strong melee with protection and healing, they combine it with debuff spells and damage spells good enough to be competitive with missile weapons.

Since healing and utility spells (detection/teleportation etc) probably help keep @ alive more than offensive power does, this setup should probably make the class more difficult to actually win with as a paladin, but hopefully with deceptive moments of glory when @ is facing down a horde of enemies.
This is pretty close to how I'm thinking of it at the moment, especially the comparison with paladins.

So far my main idea for their magic is that they get to power up their melee a lot, but at a risk - costing HP, potential damage to stats, other side effects like aggravation. Aside from that they should get fear, stun, paralysis and disenchantment effects on monsters and some of the stuff Philip talks about like getting to a target monster quickly. I'd probably rather give buff spells for ranged combat rather than direct damage spells - maybe they should be good at hurling stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I still really like Corsair, as it is thematic with Tolkien.
I agree; my reservation is that it's more like a race, and is only one of a few possible sources (others including men of Carn Dum, etc).
Old March 10, 2018, 19:48   #38
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Evil aligned warrior possibilities:
Dunlending agent
blackguard
black knight
death knight
Dark Captain
Dark Lord
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 20:00   #39
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
For adjective Knight type names I'd like to offer Dread Knight.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 20:11   #40
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I suggest we just call them Bad Guys.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote