Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 22, 2016, 06:12   #1
bertoid
Rookie

bertoid is on a distinguished road
A Plain Gold Ring, redux

Is it even worth it to wield the One Ring after beating Morgoth? I'm asking for a friend. He found it on level 101. He already has the main immunities (Nenya, Thorin, and Eöl), so that's not a problem. Eöl also aggravates, so nothing new there.

At this point it seems almost worthless, especially with the XP drain.

For what it's worth, he has no interest in retiring yet.
bertoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 07:14   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
If found, I never not wear it. Given it's rarity, why pass up the chance! But, then again, I'm not one of the advocates of @ being "good". He, he, he, he, @ chuckles, twisting his mustache.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 07:26   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@bertroid--the exp drain is simply not an issue when you are that deep, especially if you have hold life (which Nenya has). He won't notice the difference on that. Just don't activate it. It's a shame not to use it on those few times it shows up.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 09:27   #4
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoid View Post
Is it even worth it to wield the One Ring after
Eöl also aggravates, so nothing new there.
At this point it seems almost worthless, especially with the XP drain.
XP drain is not an issue. Even clvl 1 char can manage that (I tested it). Since he is already wearing item with aggravation that too is not an issue. I would wear it.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 16:41   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Experience drain has changed in the last few years, guys. I think it's percentage-based now or something. Definitely not the "lose 1 point of EXP every few turns" thing it used to be.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 17:32   #6
bertoid
Rookie

Yeah, I think that the 'hold life' also doesn't counteract the XP drain that comes with the One Ring. At least, that's been my experience. Before it was drained, of course. But Nenya has restore, so that's a moot point.

Anyway, I guess my point of this whole exercise is that any gains from the One Ring are pretty much superseded by my other artifacts (and a nifty +17 speed ring), so that the only net gain of the One Ring is the XP drain. And after beating Morgoth, it seems less compelling to wear it. But that's just me.

Also, any notion of 'good' goes right out the vault door when you don Morgoth's mighty iron crown.
Old February 22, 2016, 17:42   #7
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yeah, i think that the 'hold life' also doesn't counteract the xp drain that comes with the one ring. At least, that's been my experience.
8/10 <3 <3 <3
Old February 22, 2016, 18:00   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, any notion of 'good' goes right out the vault door when you don Morgoth's mighty iron crown.
Regarding the "alignment" of the Massive Iron Crown of Morgoth, as I learned from Derakon and Nick in a related thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Morgoth is described as eternally tormented by the light of the Silmarils; they burn him, but he can't bring himself to stop displaying his trophy. So it's not at all clear that they've become corrupted. So far as I'm aware (not that I'm a Tolkein lore sage), the Silmaril that Beren stole was still perfectly normal, for a Silmaril anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
...Beren's silmaril was passed down his family, then finally carried by Earendil, with no ill effects apart from attracting the sons of Feanor (who had sworn an oath to recover the silmarils from anyone else). Once the remaining two silmarils were recaptured, and Maedhros and Maglor (the two remaining sons of Feanor) stole them, they were unable to hold them because they (M+M) had forfeited their right by their misdeeds. So the silmarils (which had been hallowed by the Valar) would hurt the already corrupt, rather than corrupt the good - which is probably bad news for a murderer on the scale of a winning Angband character
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016, 18:07   #9
bertoid
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Regarding the "alignment" of the Massive Iron Crown of Morgoth, as I learned from Derakon and Nick in a related thread:
Very interesting point, and maybe illuminates (pun intended) an inconsistency: the Necklace of the Dwarves contains the Silmaril of Fëanor, yet it has no ill effect on the wearer (good or bad).
Old February 23, 2016, 13:13   #10
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Experience drain has changed in the last few years, guys. I think it's percentage-based now or something. Definitely not the "lose 1 point of EXP every few turns" thing it used to be.
XP drain is also temporary now, so it can be cured with a RLL potion. And as post-victory character, you don't really care about max experience, so you can play with drained XP all the time.