AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 29, 2016, 20:42   #91
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Some of the names are fairly weak. I prefer "Winter's chill" from Sil, to "chilled to the bone", and "Of Burning" for the other. Perhaps the former should grant RES_COLD[2], so temp cold resist gives temporary immunity? Or give off an aura like in some variants?

In any case, this is a whole lot of junk. I'd rather see fewer basic ego types, and more that combine different features. Further, IMPAIR_HP is already available on a ring. I don't see the point of putting it on some boring ego item. And I'm not sure of the point of the ones with obvious penalties like "boots of slowness", which are IDed immediately on use, or even on pickup, then discarded. Without a stick curse, things like this are just zero-risk junk. Even the ones with fire vulnerability are pretty dull. If you want to make something scary, make it a subtle thing that may only be discovered too late, like RES_NETHER[-1].

The death drake breathes nether. -more- You learn something new about your armor. -more- You die.
I kind of agree with this, although I haven't played the RuneID version enough to know how the mid-game would play out in this way. There's something to be said for having a surplus of both positive flags and curses, and for each game to take an unknown sample of these (important ones common to every game, and others showing up less frequently).

A few ideas- I don't know how to fully implement these but it seemed in particular lights and launchers weren't well represented

name:easy mark
type:amulet
type:ring
effect:SUMMON:THIEF
dice:1
time:1d100
msg:A thief steps out of the shadows
descccasionally summons a thief

#don’t know how to implement this
#maybe easier to have it as a timed effect
nameoverty
type:soft armor
type:hard armor
type:shield
effect: #lose gold on hit
msg:the hit jostles your purse
desc:each point of damage causes loss of 1 gold

name:crooked
type:bow
# doubles chance of ammo breakage
# halves range
desc: your launcher twists in your hands

name:famine
type:light
#hunger clock x100
#light radius + 1 more than typical
desc:the light is brighter, and uses your energy as fuel

name:fireflash
effect:TIMED_INC:FIRE
dice:1+1d4
time:1d1000
msg:your light scorches you
desc:burns you and the contents of your pack

name:darkshroud
effect:TIMED_INC:#light radius = 0
dice:10+1d10
time:1d50
msg:your light dims to an ember
desc:light periodically flickers to nothing

name:tarnished
type:ring
type:amulet
#hit with disenchantment every 1d1000
msg:a wave of evil magic passes over you
desc:chance to disenchant other equipped items

name:fractured
type:bow
type:digger
type:hafted
typeolearm
type:sword
type:boots
type:gloves
type:helm
type:crown
type:shield
type:cloak
type:soft armor
type:hard armor
type:dragon armor
#item has a chance to break
msg: crumbles!
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016, 20:44   #92
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yeah, those are good. Sil has a nasty one, where potentially out-of-depth undead appear more frequently. Not summoned in any obvious way, just often present.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016, 21:20   #93
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, those are good. Sil has a nasty one, where potentially out-of-depth undead appear more frequently. Not summoned in any obvious way, just often present.
Really like things like this, especially on otherwise-great items.

E.g. Mormegil should probably just be something like this. Super powerful sword, super powerful dragons, good luck and god speed!
Old July 29, 2016, 21:41   #94
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Now I'm thinking about Nuclear Throne, which is an action roguelike with Crowns which bestow mixed-blessing effects on you. Off the top of my head, here's some adaptations for Angband:

* Blood: when equipped the spawn rate for new enemies on the level is vastly higher (initial level population remains the same)
* Curses: high chance of spawning out-of-depth equipment items, but they always are cursed
* Haste: items drop in larger stacks, but vanish after a few turns if not picked up
* Life: high chance that dropped items are replaced by (weak) healing potions
* Risk: deal extra damage when below 50% health
* Hatred: +10% experience from kills, but take (mlvl) damage per kill.
* Luck: increased chance of critical hits; enemy attacks always deal max damage
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016, 23:47   #95
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
All right, a few points to make here:
  1. Looks like everyone here is better at designing curses than me, which is wonderful. New object/monster properties can be created if necessary to implement any of these, so don't be bound by what appears currently possible. If I can't see how to implement something, I'll let you know.
  2. I based a lot of mine on the old cursed egos, and I'm thinking that was OK as a starting point, but most of them should probably be just ditched.
  3. More generally, the whole curse system can be regarded as a starting point. If any aspect of it isn't working or could be done better, we can just change it.
  4. Do we think there is an optimal number of curses? Is more always better?

Also, glad to see curses being given the PowerWyrm treatment. Help certainly hasn't caught up, nor has object power (which along with monster power needs some work). I've fixed the bad free in development, and have to think a bit deeper about the issue you highlighted with the enveloping curse, and the item tester.
Old July 29, 2016, 23:55   #96
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The trouble with the old ego items as a base is they just are boring without sticky curse. You equip one, immediately find it is bad then take it off. For non-sticky curses to work, they either need to be an obvious malus on an otherwise great item (like Doomcaller, Calris, Deathwreaker) or they need to be in some way subtle. Otherwise they are just junk.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 00:37   #97
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
The trouble with the old ego items as a base is they just are boring without sticky curse. You equip one, immediately find it is bad then take it off. For non-sticky curses to work, they either need to be an obvious malus on an otherwise great item (like Doomcaller, Calris, Deathwreaker) or they need to be in some way subtle. Otherwise they are just junk.
The first of these was the aim - items generated with a curse have their generation level increased. I think this mechanic needs some work, though.
Old July 30, 2016, 00:47   #98
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
My subjective experience is that a lot of curses show up as runes and are sometimes quite hard to ID, which ends up being more annoying than the actual curse in some cases.

I'm not sure if separating runes and curses makes sense, but it might make the ID-by-use story a little easier.
Old July 30, 2016, 00:58   #99
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
My subjective experience is that a lot of curses show up as runes and are sometimes quite hard to ID, which ends up being more annoying than the actual curse in some cases.

I'm not sure if separating runes and curses makes sense, but it might make the ID-by-use story a little easier.
I'd be inclined to say that curses should be runes, but they should also be attached to powerful-enough abilities that you're tempted to keep the item anyway. So then if you ID a curse rune, you either a) know why this item is otherwise so powerful, or b) are left wondering what the cool power the item has to compensate for the curse.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 01:26   #100
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post

Yeah, that might make sense - certainly there are currently some curses (like impair mana) which pretty much coincide, so you would learn both at once.

How do you think it should work?