Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 4, 2020, 18:28   #11
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Yeah, it is a bit strict considering that the first paralyzing opponent is usually an Illusionist (appears somewhere around DL 10). Moaning Spirit can wreck a character good without SInv but otherwise the early game doesn't have any dangerous invisible monsters.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020, 11:51   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
bleagh. double post. double post.

Last edited by wobbly; January 5, 2020 at 14:16.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020, 11:59   #13
wobbly
Veteran

FA is a funny one. You certainly want it, but once you reach dlvl 26 where ghouls are native you're arguably safer going deeper where they'll be less common then sticking around. See invisible I don't care much about as long as I have detects. This is easier if you're familiar with the monster list. If you aren't you'll probably want it.

The Butcher moved dreads deeper in 4.2, I think that's a shame. That depth lost a certain atmosphere (though the new stuff there is certainly solid) & by the time they appear they are non scary. No-one dreads the dread anymore. Personally I find that .... dreadful.
Old January 5, 2020, 13:30   #14
VeritasAequitas
Rookie

VeritasAequitas is on a distinguished road
Alright thanks all.
Starting another game, High-Elf warrior, see how it goes, wish me luck
VeritasAequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020, 17:27   #15
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I used to adhere fairly strictly to checkpoints but the more I play Angband the less I do. That's more out of impatience and not really caring if I die than anything else. If I die I'll just play again. I like the early game anyway. It's also fun to see how far you can make it with gaping holes.

I'm still limping my healthy H/T Warrior deeper into the dungeon. It's one harrowingly narrow scrape after another. Did find two wands of TO and of course one of them got destroyed (but no other metal objects I am carrying). Been whacking around with Eorlingas for awhile now. Bought telepathy helm from a store and am very quickly appreciating just how useful Thengel was being. New Angband seems to confuse player more than before. I've been teleporting around levels like a pinball machine. It's pretty much fire/frying pan routine all day long here. Yet, I'm still alive. I take 40 !CLW each dungeon visit and return often. I've got decent launching capabilities (150 damage with some seeker bolts), nevertheless so many things at DL53 I need to avoid.

I'll either die soon or find something powerful soon. Can't imagine I'll last much longer without one of those two things occurring. Just found <+5> speed sandals in the BM that I can't afford. Too busy spending all my money on _Teleportation.

I'm surprised anyone thinks new Angband isn't much harder than the previous version. It's night and day for me. I've won the old version in like 27k turns. Now just winning is a feat. And certainly winning in under 50k is very difficult.

Last edited by Grotug; January 5, 2020 at 18:24.
Grotug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020, 20:34   #16
DavidMedley
Swordsman

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Use a digging wand to cut corners to minimize turns in hearing range.
Cut corners?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020, 21:33   #17
VeritasAequitas
Rookie

current progress:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23119

just picked up this sweet sweet weapon, and a ring of speed in a minor vault. the first =speed was actually cursed ring that i removed a dozen curses from. lack of poison resist bothers me at the moment, but looking to move to dlvl40 soon i think?
Thoughts?
Old January 7, 2020, 07:18   #18
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'm currently on DL64 and still haven't found rPois (well, found it on a ring as a swap, but I only wear it to take down ancient green dragons). Did get my speed up to +7 overweight, though, and found Telepathy not too long ago. I hate sacrificing a ring spot for rPois. :-/

I see you are wearing Gorlim which aggravates. I would not wear this if you don't have rPois or other weaknesses that make you vulnerable to instadeaths. Or only use it as a swap for tough fights when you know there is nothing super dangerous nearby.

I'm uploading another video of my precarious play of @ on DL59 trying to get into a vault. Will post it shortly.

EDIT: Oh, I also picked up a ring of the mouse on DL57 as a swap. Been very handy seeing how many things I can't fight and don't want to waste TO charges on.

Last edited by Grotug; January 7, 2020 at 07:23.
Grotug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2020, 17:46   #19
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Cut corners?
As in take shortcuts.

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=4672

Not the most exciting screenshot but it'll do. The quickest way to reach those red astrixes to the NW is to dig with a wand of digging NW & if there's something to the south asleep you don't risk moving closer. Or possibly 2nd quickest as phase door is almost guaranteed to take you closer. Not 100% guaranteed, but if you land in the corridor to the north you are closer, if you land in the corridor SW you are closer, its only if you land E that you are further away, but that also takes you away from anything to the south you are avoiding.
Old January 7, 2020, 19:46   #20
VeritasAequitas
Rookie

I... didnt even realise gorlim aggrevates, nice catch
Currently sitting at +17 speed with this character, feels nice. Would like to find some TO rods and some more stat potions though, and ofc, still resist poison...