AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old July 2, 2014, 13:10   #251
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I noticed something with violet molds the other day which I'm not sure is intended. If you sneak into them in stealth mode they double hit you & can end up draining 2 con if your unlucky. I don't think I'll be playing many stealth characters without keen senses or high will in the future.
That's the risk of stealth mode; you're slow and will be at least double-moved by most things if you stumble into them. It also chews through your light at double the speed, IIRC. (I don't think it affects your clock, though.)

If you're worried about being spotted, you can get similar bonuses by sneaking along the walls, and an even bigger one just by passing a turn. These bonuses are cumulative (so passing a turn in a corner gives a pretty big boost to your spot check.)

I typically use stealth mode for 5-10 turns at a time, and only then when I have clear vision of what I'm sneaking into. It's not really safe to use all the time.

Edit: With sprinting or permaspeed, it can be easier/safer to use.
Old July 2, 2014, 13:59   #252
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I noticed something with violet molds the other day which I'm not sure is intended. If you sneak into them in stealth mode they double hit you & can end up draining 2 con if your unlucky. I don't think I'll be playing many stealth characters without keen senses or high will in the future.
Likely a bug due to spore attack not counting as proper attack. Luckily you do not really need constitution on a stealth char.

Keen senses + listen are kind of mandatory picks with stealth anyway, imo. I can do without song, but how are you going to dodge quick opponents without listen?
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014, 14:09   #253
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Likely a bug due to spore attack not counting as proper attack. Luckily you do not really need constitution on a stealth char.
I really don't think this is a bug. I've had characters die when trying to assassinate a D in stealth mode, failing, and then getting bitten and breathed on before I could react -- and those count as 'real attacks'
Old July 2, 2014, 18:18   #254
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
I agree that there's something odd here. I'm not sure there's a natural solution. Perhaps stealth (or perception?) should help you to move carefully and not throw up spores?
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014, 18:31   #255
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
I agree that there's something odd here. I'm not sure there's a natural solution. Perhaps stealth (or perception?) should help you to move carefully and not throw up spores?
Wasn't there some talk of removing stealth mode entirely at a certain point? It seems sort of weird.
Old July 3, 2014, 14:45   #256
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
What happen's if you pick up a chest & carry it to the next level? Is the difficulty/contents dependent on the level it's found? or opened? My current dwarfs easily strong enough to carry it round but can't easily open it till I get song of freedom which probably wont be for a 200', so it might be interesting.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014, 14:58   #257
debo
Veteran

Quote:
What happen's if you pick up a chest & carry it to the next level? Is the difficulty/contents dependent on the level it's found? or opened? My current dwarfs easily strong enough to carry it round but can't easily open it till I get song of freedom which probably wont be for a 200', so it might be interesting.
The chest remembers where you found it, and generates items as if you were at that depth iirc
Old July 3, 2014, 18:55   #258
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
The chest remembers where you found it, and generates items as if you were at that depth iirc
Is chest content really that sensitive? After all the different chests have different native depth already. 5 / 10 / 12 / 17 / 19 / 24 wooden small/large, steel small / large, jewelled small / large.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:03   #259
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if the bonus from rauko-bane also counts towards spotting sulrakuo? or resisting the hallucination attack one of them has?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014, 09:39   #260
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Anyone know if the bonus from rauko-bane also counts towards spotting sulrakuo? or resisting the hallucination attack one of them has?
It should and it definitly counts towards spotting Sulrauko.