AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 6, 2014, 14:36   #291
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by huiren View Post
Anyway, do you have any tips for low strength characters? I've tried a ton of different starts, but they all either have low damage output, low defense or both.
Make a glaive at the first forge and only change to a light weapon / spear when you have the skill and abilities to get criticals. Don't run into spider webs. My best attempt with 0 strength melee: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14927 (sadly, you can not make 0.8 lb shortswords anymore).
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 15:12   #292
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When I got to 750', I was sitting on 10k experience because I didn't know what to spend it on and wasn't sure if going for artifice right then would kill me.
This is basically the Essence of Smithing. It sounds like your strategy was sound; you just need to remember that literally everything can kill you

I didn't realize that Crowns of Command gave Song of Mastery -- I thought it was Majesty. If you have Song of Mastery working well for you, you can do almost anything with impunity. Things will definitely get harder at 900'+ until your gear kicks in, though, as I believe most of the dudes down there are strong-willed. (Rs, dragons, vampires, maybe even Greater Cs -- I'm not sure.)
Old October 6, 2014, 16:37   #293
huiren
Rookie

huiren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Make a glaive at the first forge and only change to a light weapon / spear when you have the skill and abilities to get criticals. Don't run into spider webs. My best attempt with 0 strength melee: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14927 (sadly, you can not make 0.8 lb shortswords anymore).
Yeah, on the ones who have tried to avoid smithing beyond what's necessary to make a super light spear I started with a glaive. I think I must have seen you recommend that on this forum before. It definitely makes the early game much more doable.

I saw you made a sharp short sword with danger fairly early on that character. How bad is danger? And do multiple sources of danger stack? I wonder if I could make my gear much sooner if I settled on just making one or two artifacts with danger on them rather than building myself up to a super-high level of smithing. Of course, then the issue would be that I couldn't cheat myself out of taking weaponsmith and masterpiece.

I have another question about Song of Slaying. How does it interact with Woven Themes? If I sing Slaying, then switch to another song and add Slaying as a minor theme, will my slaying bonus suddenly drop or just start to decay more quickly / grow more slowly?
huiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 16:47   #294
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, on the ones who have tried to avoid smithing beyond what's necessary to make a super light spear I started with a glaive. I think I must have seen you recommend that on this forum before. It definitely makes the early game much more doable.

I saw you made a sharp short sword with danger fairly early on that character. How bad is danger? And do multiple sources of danger stack? I wonder if I could make my gear much sooner if I settled on just making one or two artifacts with danger on them rather than building myself up to a super-high level of smithing. Of course, then the issue would be that I couldn't cheat myself out of taking weaponsmith and masterpiece.

I have another question about Song of Slaying. How does it interact with Woven Themes? If I sing Slaying, then switch to another song and add Slaying as a minor theme, will my slaying bonus suddenly drop or just start to decay more quickly / grow more slowly?
I think your minor theme always works as if it being sung at (song - 5) -- so, your slaying bonus would start to decay more quickly, but it shouldn't plummet the turn right after you switch themes.
Old October 6, 2014, 19:36   #295
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I think your minor theme always works as if it being sung at (song - 5) -- so, your slaying bonus would start to decay more quickly, but it shouldn't plummet the turn right after you switch themes.
This has changed, it is now song / 2.

Quote:
I saw you made a sharp short sword with danger fairly early on that character. How bad is danger?
Very bad, I just found the one forge of forges in that game and could not resist. (There are +1 dexterity/grace swords w/ danger in the game and many ppl tend to leave them behind - that's how bad danger is.) And afaik it stacks.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 20:28   #296
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Slaying has an internal counter which accumulates linearly with kills and decays exponentially. This is entirely independent of your Song (though it only accumulates when singing and I think decays faster if you're not singing).

This counter is then multiplied by your Song and we take the ceiling to give your attack bonus. So switching it to the minor theme will immediately halve the bonus.

I think it's calibrated so that if you kill one enemy each turn for a while, the bonus will stabilise at your Song. If you kill one every 4 turns it will stabilise at Song/2, one every 9 turns will stabilise at Song/3 and so on. But there may have been a balance tweak since that was true.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014, 07:05   #297
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I saw you made a sharp short sword with danger fairly early on that character. How bad is danger? And do multiple sources of danger stack?
My understanding of danger is each level of danger is an extra 50' for enemy generation, so if you're diving you can just dive 50' less and if you don't like to dive you'll probably hate it. I've taken it a few times and usually regret it. You're probably coming out behind (as you could just play 50' deeper and find better gear). Also walking in to the throne room with danger seems to generate multiple nasty uniques.

I make an exception for +1 grace objects on smiths and the crown with loremaster (as you can dump it after identifying a lot of gear)
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014, 08:58   #298
wobbly
Veteran

Is there a way to step on something you've thrown with out picking it up. I just threw a lesser jewel next to shadow mold, for the extra light and of course as soon as I moved on to it I of course picked it back up. I've had a related issue where picking up ammo made me burdened and I lost a good character to it.
Old October 7, 2014, 10:38   #299
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Danger means enemies are generated as if it were one dungeon level deeper. In practice, if you choose which level to hang out on based on the difficulty of the monsters, this means that treasure is effectively generated one level shallower. I agree that this makes Danger a really big draw back.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2014, 08:15   #300
wobbly
Veteran

Does regeneration stack? I'm contemplating seeing how much regen I can get on a fingolfin. Start with 6 con & mind over body and build a regen amulet. Vampiric weapons are common enough that I can probably find 1. Aim for jeweller artifact & regen/sust on both rings and the amulet. So triple regen + vampiric weapon.