AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 17, 2010, 12:22   #1
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Bug in nightlies

Hello.

I'm no longer able to pick up or drop items in my home while in home. Every command seems to come in delay, so that I pick them up only after I leave home. That is more than annoying.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010, 12:25   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Hello.

I'm no longer able to pick up or drop items in my home while in home. Every command seems to come in delay, so that I pick them up only after I leave home. That is more than annoying.
OK, this is unplayable. Does anybody know which version has shops working properly and how to get it?
Old October 17, 2010, 12:35   #3
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
r2041 definitely doesn't have this bug.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010, 12:47   #4
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
I haven't touched the ones after menu refactoring started, I think r2041 is the one yep.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010, 13:18   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
I haven't touched the ones after menu refactoring started, I think r2041 is the one yep.
Thanks to both of you. That one works fine. If you could you should add a warning about this bug in http://rephial.org/nightlies/ relevant version.
Old October 17, 2010, 16:42   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Thanks to both of you. That one works fine. If you could you should add a warning about this bug in http://rephial.org/nightlies/ relevant version.
Noticed that monster color scheme had been reversed back to that very confusing "Ancalagon the Violet, Ar-Pharazon the Violet, Lesser Balrog the Nalfeshnee-impersonator" -scheme. I thought I had already fixed that.

How do I get that fixed color scheme in official release?
Old October 19, 2010, 09:38   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Noticed pretty soon after starting the game that I get good and excellent feelings for no apparent reason. I think it might have something to do with rods of curing even that they are useless. Spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to find what caused those feelings.

Current dungeon generation is broken. It produces way too many boring levels. My best level this far has been one that was "looks like any other level" (got boring level and dived immediately). It had *acquirement* and acquirement and three uniques.

I want autoscum back. Playing current vanilla tends to be boring. Too few vaults, pits and interesting rooms. Not enough floor items.

There is also something wrong with generation of rods of detect doors and stairs. Have found only one and I'm at 2550' feet currently.

Currently best item finding place is Black Market. Way better than dungeon. More items, better quality. Which is wrong.
Old October 19, 2010, 12:51   #8
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Regarding autoscum, I wasnt playing (actively, have played pre and post of course =P) when it was removed so don't know why it was removed, but I myself have been of the mind that autoscum was awesomesauce ever since have not had it as an option ...
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2010, 17:06   #9
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Current dungeon generation is broken. It produces way too many boring levels. My best level this far has been one that was "looks like any other level" (got boring level and dived immediately). It had *acquirement* and acquirement and three uniques.
What do you think the solution should be?

IMO one solution should be that OoD or artifacts should contribute about 10 times as much to level feelings as they currently do. OoD monsters in pits should not contribute at all, rather the pit should have a specific value. Jelly pits are not interesting, and should not be treated as interesting in any case. Uniques should count as monsters 1.5 * Level. Acq scrolls should count as a 5 level OoD object on every level. Artifacts should count as objects 2x their min level. All these numbers are guesses.

In the later levels of the dungeon, the only things that should be contributing to level feelings are vaults, artifacts, acq, dragon/demon/undead pits, high Uniques.

A second solution would be to raise the drop rates (and variability) of rods,staves and wands. Keep potions, rings, amulets and weapons the same. Make most scrolls drop in stacks (excepting banish, mass banish, rune, acq and *acq*). If you find a stack of 10 ?dispel undead scrolls, maybe they'd actually be useful.

Finding an OoD rod, staff or wand should be a lot more common. I -fire bolts on dlevel 10 should produce a superb feeling and somethign like that should happen once every 10 or so times on that level.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2010, 17:54   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Fizzix: it's not so much that the level feelings aren't useful as that the game isn't trying to generate interesting levels currently. One way to solve this would be to bring back the autoscummer; probably a more elegant way would be to simply ensure that boring levels aren't generated in the first place.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote