AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 27, 2014, 08:23   #1
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Gervais Tiles

Is anyone working on getting the Gervais tile set to display properly? I just discovered today that, contrary to the on screen warning, graphics tiles do work. They just don't always match up with the images one would expect.

I've figured out how object.txt, monster.txt and graf-dvg.prf work and have fixed a few of the 50' items. I'd be glad to finish the job if no one else is already working on it. I'm proposing to just change the graf-dvg.prf and possibly flvr-dvg.prf and xtra-dvg.prf, so if the devs are planning to change monster and object.txt to fix the graphics tiles I'd appreciate a warning.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2014, 11:27   #2
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
Is anyone working on getting the Gervais tile set to display properly? I just discovered today that, contrary to the on screen warning, graphics tiles do work. They just don't always match up with the images one would expect.

I've figured out how object.txt, monster.txt and graf-dvg.prf work and have fixed a few of the 50' items. I'd be glad to finish the job if no one else is already working on it. I'm proposing to just change the graf-dvg.prf and possibly flvr-dvg.prf and xtra-dvg.prf, so if the devs are planning to change monster and object.txt to fix the graphics tiles I'd appreciate a warning.
Very timely! The goal for Sil 1.3 is graphics support. In particular, the fabulous Shockbolt tiles. We'd noticed that the pre-shockbolt tiles work in the windows version (though aren't always mapped well). However, Scatha and I have quite a strong preference for ASCII over these older tilesets. Combined with the fact that we have plans to add shockbolt tiles and that the older tiles didn't work with the Mac port, we hadn't done any work on them.

On the weekend, I achieved two milestones towards 1.3. I got the older tiles working (still with bad mapping) on the Mac Carbon port, which turned out to only take a one line change to the Makefile. I also managed to start getting the Mac Cocoa port working. This Cocoa port will be the future of Sil on the Mac, and I believe it will help with getting the shockbolt tiles working.

So in summary, we don't like the older tiles much, but if you are willing to do the tile-mapping in the .prf files, then be our guest (and please post your new files to this forum). We aren't planning to change object.txt or monster.txt.

In the future, we hope to see the shockbolt tiles working with Sil, but this will require combining some of the source code from V 3.5 (the windows and mac main files and presumably some other graphics handling files) with the Sil 1.2.1 source code. This is underway, but is tricky and we'll probably require some help.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2014, 19:08   #3
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Could you explain how the debug command to generate monsters works? I'm relying on an old command list from the Zangband site and it appears that your command set isn't the same. I looked at the code in wizard.c and it looks like the "n" command wants a name rather than a command count but I can't figure out how to get the name entered.
Old January 27, 2014, 22:08   #4
half
Knight

Quote:
Could you explain how the debug command to generate monsters works? I'm relying on an old command list from the Zangband site and it appears that your command set isn't the same. I looked at the code in wizard.c and it looks like the "n" command wants a name rather than a command count but I can't figure out how to get the name entered.
Hit 'R' then type in the index number of the monster from monster.txt then hit '^a' then 'n'. This is indeed a crazy and unintuitive interface, but it is what I inherited from Vanilla...
Old January 28, 2014, 03:30   #5
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
@ Bill, are you aware of UT32, The 32x32 Universal Tileset. It's an attempt by me primarily, but with the cooperation of the oook community, to create a Universal Tileset (along with a set of mappings, prf files) that will serve all variants that support 32x32 tiles.

UT32 is based heavily upon the classic Gervias tileset. Many mappings will be identical, or just slightly different. There is a link in my signature to to UT32 if you would like to give it a look.

It may be of interest to you for one reason primarily. It contains a great many more tiles than the standard Vanilla tileset which will allow you to have more choices in selecting tiles with zero additional effort.

If you choose to base your changes upon UT32 I will then assimilate your work into UT32, even if it's incomplete, which will insure that it won't be 'lost' if not directly adopted by the maintainers.

I've been looking for a reason to play Sil and resurrect UT32, this might just do the trick.
Old January 28, 2014, 08:17   #6
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

@buzzkill, thanks for the tip, I'll switch to your tiles immediately. I can already see a couple of tiles that will fill holes, birds and a lot more choices for uniques.
Old January 28, 2014, 10:44   #7
half
Knight

The U32 tile set does sound like a good idea in general, but I think it might require coding changes for Sil in order to read the new pref file format and to even accept a .png file with a different name to normal. So it might make this task a bit bigger for you. That said, I like the basic idea.
Old January 28, 2014, 14:31   #8
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
The U32 tile set does sound like a good idea in general, but I think it might require coding changes for Sil in order to read the new pref file format and to even accept a .png file with a different name to normal. So it might make this task a bit bigger for you. That said, I like the basic idea.
UT32 use a standard prf format (each variant has it's own prf) and I'd be happy to customize a bmp or png, apart from UT32, for inclusion with your distro once the work is finalized.

@ Bill, glad to hear it. Please prepare the prf changes only. Any changes to the tileset itself will need to be made by me.
Old January 28, 2014, 14:45   #9
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@buzzkill, thanks for the tip, I'll switch to your tiles immediately. I can already see a couple of tiles that will fill holes, birds and a lot more choices for uniques.
Please make sure that shadow spiders and morgoth share a tile
Old January 28, 2014, 15:10   #10
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
UT32 use a standard prf format (each variant has it's own prf) and I'd be happy to customize a bmp or png, apart from UT32, for inclusion with your distro once the work is finalized.
I was referring to the fact that in post 9 of the thread you linked to, it was said:

Quote:
The format of the graf-xxx.prf files changed a bit since 3.2.
And then there are a lot of details. The Sil prf files date back from before 3.2, so they presumably won't be compatible with the V 3.5 ones or with the current UT32 ones. I didn't read through the rest of the thread, but I presume there are other issues like this. I'm not sure how large they will be (particularly as I might want to adopt some of the changes to get Shockbolt tiles working with Sil 1.3), but wanted to flag that it presumably won't be as plug and play as it would be with the Gervais tiles alone (which already work). If Bill were to get a version of the UT32 tiles working with Sil 1.2.1 (even with bad mapping between monsters and images), then that would sort out these issues. I suggest he tries that first.