Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 2, 2010, 22:18   #11
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Well a priest (clairvoyance and no need for potions of healing really anyways) ...

I agree that ammo is a tad too common. Unlike armor/weapons, it was in general sense left untouched, so yes it got more common. Guess will have to learn that svn thingy so can post changes for the guys with change-rights.

Played my 2nd kobold warrior to finalfinal endgame, this time 1 rod of detection, erm. I think we ought to move it a tad deeper and up it's allowance slightly. As for rods of speed and healing, well how many do we intend people to have? I have found speed with 1 endgame and healing with 1 endgame, of course a single rod of healing is not very useful but the speed is nice. Playing only warriors so that the consumables issue is "the worst". Try farming at dlvl >95, considering they are as common as rods of id, I'm sure you can find rods of speed in a fair bit of farming.

This game I played most of the game with a couple of different ego DSM. Cool.

Also there are some balance issues regarding what is too much and what is enough consumables. This game I didn't really have that many healing potions, I didn't even use many by endgame, as I had a kickass weapon again (haha undeads got eaten by 270x6). And it wasn't a superfast game (well lack of speed for a long time does that too). So are we supposed to be able to use the healing pots before Sauron and Morgoth? IMHO tackling charge drainers with consumables before the end two should be allowed, this will use some consumables prior the final fights too.

Personally I like the statswap potions now. Before it was so that I almost never saw more than 1-2 of them before statgain. Lets face it, there are tons of items where their range of use is limited, and if they are rare in that range, they are in a sense pretty useless. For example mushrooms of emergency are now a semistable addition to my inventory before potions of healing start to show up more.

I really need to kick my ass to play smarter and win that stupid kobold warrior. I think I'll go standarts next game...
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2010, 23:24   #12
ewert
Knight

Just a FYI, I went through the object.txt file based on more games, and info from testers:

Ammo was brought down to normal. It was an oversight: armor/weapons were made more rare, but ammo was not, thus all good/great objects were heavily in favor of ammo (I think). They should be more in line with the other stuff now.

Some tweaking of stuff, like -Detection would be a deeper item but more common, so that warriors can graduate from (bunch-o-rods) to (some-rods). And get monster detection too... We'll see if this is too much...

A lil decrease of healing potions and some staves. Anyways, farming at dlvl>95 should still be insanely better than what it was before, as lots of junk is removed by that level from the tables, so last two fight consumables should come easier at dlvl>95 atleast if you are still missing some when you get there (if you have fought your way there).

Submitting the file to (whoever can put it in). Made from newest nightly. And I learned SVN! It is a .diff file zipped up...

PS. Erm not sure if private messages went through, so Magnate / d_m please take a peek.
Attached Files
File Type: zip object_txt.zip (1.9 KB, 64 views)
Old August 3, 2010, 09:59   #13
bebo
Adept

bebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
They are out of hand, though I have no idea how Bebo managed to find all those potions. I must not be chasing the right monsters.
this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Well a priest (clairvoyance and no need for potions of healing really anyways) ...
Actually I think clairvoyance is a bit too powerful atm, we should probably increase the mana cost.

Quote:
Personally I like the statswap potions now. Before it was so that I almost never saw more than 1-2 of them before statgain. Lets face it, there are tons of items where their range of use is limited, and if they are rare in that range, they are in a sense pretty useless. For example mushrooms of emergency are now a semistable addition to my inventory before potions of healing start to show up more.
I agree with you here, it's just that at least in my game those potions were a bit too common. Regarding mushrooms the only ones I actually use are second sight and vigor, the other ones should probably be improved a bit.

Quote:
Some tweaking of stuff, like -Detection would be a deeper item but more common, so that warriors can graduate from (bunch-o-rods) to (some-rods). And get monster detection too... We'll see if this is too much...

A lil decrease of healing potions and some staves. Anyways, farming at dlvl>95 should still be insanely better than what it was before, as lots of junk is removed by that level from the tables, so last two fight consumables should come easier at dlvl>95 atleast if you are still missing some when you get there (if you have fought your way there).
Good idea. You should also take a look at -mapping (i found 1-2 in my whole game) and -speed (found none, but at the end I wasn't even botherind to id unidentified rods, so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullfame View Post
OTOH you have 0% fail on teleport other, 37 !rMana, and 20 ?destruction so I'd say this is not such a big problem. I wonder how many rods of teleport other you found along the way. 20 ?destruction, 14 ?banishment and 4 ?massBanishment is plenty to deal with summons.
yeah, you are probably right, I was speaking from an abstract perspective. Re. -TelOther I think I found only 3 before starting to scum dlvls95+ , at which point I realized I necer even used them having 0% fail and just squelched them.

btw - I won!
bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010, 10:11   #14
ewert
Knight

Well you really only need 1-2 -mapping TBH, IMHO so sounds good to me ... I know one is enough for me mostly.
Old August 3, 2010, 14:50   #15
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
re: clairvoyance

How about it maps the entire level and detects traps for the entire level. I'd even be ok if it detected all monsters on the entire level, or better yet had a 1/5 chance of detecting monsters, so you'd know if there was a room full of time or gravity hounds, or what type of monster pit is on the other side of the level. However, it detects either no objects, or only objects in normal detection range.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010, 10:37   #16
ewert
Knight

Btw here is the ammunition (and bit other like -det, dsm galore reduced) fixed object.txt if someone wants it to play with.
Attached Files
File Type: zip object.zip (14.5 KB, 67 views)
Old August 8, 2010, 00:35   #17
fizzix
Prophet

I really think the +1/-1 potions should be less common, much less common. The useless potions should be increased in commonness to match the levels of the useful ones.
Old August 8, 2010, 01:52   #18
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Is the object.txt file the only thing that has changed (in the past month or so) in object distribution? If not, is there a summary of those changes that someone could link me to?

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2010, 19:13   #19
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Is the object.txt file the only thing that has changed (in the past month or so) in object distribution? If not, is there a summary of those changes that someone could link me to?
Since no one who knows is posting an answer, I'll chime in that I haven't noticed any related changes on trac other than to object.txt. I've missed things before, but I think that's it.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2010, 04:10   #20
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Since no one who knows is posting an answer, I'll chime in that I haven't noticed any related changes on trac other than to object.txt. I've missed things before, but I think that's it.
Didn't drops get switched to max(monster level, (monster level + dlevel)/2)