Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 10, 2010, 20:27   #71
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Still playing 3.1.2v2, so maybe some of this has been tweaked by now, but anyway...

I'd like to see context sensitive weight info when you examine a piece of armour (similar to the combat info you get with weapons) that tells you the max weight of armour you can wear and whether swapping this piece in will make you encumbered.

Similarly, I'd like it if the info screens for armour and weapons that are class-prohibited or too heavy told you exactly what the penalty is for wielding them, like a line saying, "Wielding this item causes a 10 point reduction in mana and -5% to your casting success rate," or whatever. It would be a useful reminder for newbies, plus help more experienced players make an informed choice whether to risk it.

It would also be handy if the combat details for weapons listed what slays you've found out a particular weapon DOESN'T have. Maybe the "does X damage against Monster Type, standard damage against others" line could be expanded so that instead of just saying "others" it's updated to "standard damage against animals, orcs, and others", etc. each time you attack a new monster type.

I'd also love it if each race and class was given its own quirky little ability like the dwarf treasure sense and gnomes ID-ing wands and staffs. Not necessarily anything very useful, just fun things that make it more interesting to mix and match different character combinations. Say if hobbits auto-ID mushrooms, Dunedan ID crowns, half-orcs can recognise when a weapon has Slay Orc... while at the same time, maybe mages auto-ID scrolls, rogues know all the details of artefacts as soon as they pick them up, rangers do the same with missile weapons, and so on. That way, each possible combo has its own unique traits to make it a different experience playing a hobbit rogue vs. a hobbit ranger vs. a Dunedan mage, etc.

And I'd like to see scrolls and especially spells of "Satisfy Hunger" removed, and the number and usefulness of mushrooms/food types with interesting effects beefed up. Have a wider variety of more common foods that replenish HP/Mana, cure effects, grant temporary resistances, restore stats, etc., and then it becomes an inventory management issue of what type is best to carry instead of just eating standard rations not to die.
I like all these - as far as thread necromancy goes, this was well worth it. Thanks.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 12:30   #72
Quendus
Scout

Quendus is on a distinguished road
The game needs a new disturbance option. disturb_move is unusable with telepathy because it prevents all resting and running when there's a monster in range, even if it has no path to the player. disturb_near is insufficient because of mishaps like this, who ran into a corridor, detected blue Zs halfway through, and only stopped when she walked straight into their line of sight. She only survived because 3 of them breathed, rather than 5.

What's needed is an intermediate option, something like "disturb whenever a monster is found", which would disturb when @ is aware of a monster that it wasn't last turn. This might even allow disturb_near to be turned off, so that running through town becomes less of a hassle (I only manage it with liberal application of my MM macro).
Quendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 15:28   #73
bebo
Adept

bebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
It would also be handy if the combat details for weapons listed what slays you've found out a particular weapon DOESN'T have. Maybe the "does X damage against Monster Type, standard damage against others" line could be expanded so that instead of just saying "others" it's updated to "standard damage against animals, orcs, and others", etc. each time you attack a new monster type.
Just found the link from trac.

Nice suggestions, but I feel like the one above would just increase clutter without adding any useful info / readability
bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 16:24   #74
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo View Post
Just found the link from trac.

Nice suggestions, but I feel like the one above would just increase clutter without adding any useful info / readability
It makes sense that we'd have something like this, to go with the suggestion that monster memory show all known resistances and susceptibilities, using that awesome memory grid instead of the existing "lump it into a giant paragraph" approach. Something similar would work nicely for item knowledge:
Code:
Long Sword of Westernesse (2d5) (+8, +12) (+2)
STR: 2   SPD: 0   FreeAct: [x]
INT: 0   STL: 0    SeeInv: [x]
WIS: 0   INF: 0   Telpath: [ ]
DEX: 2   TUN: 0   SlowDig: [ ]
CON: 2   SRC: 0   HoldLif: [ ]
CHA: 0   XXX: 0      etc.: [ ]
Damage:
Normal: 17
   Orc: 30
 Troll: 30
  Evil: 17
Undead: 17
etc.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 16:32   #75
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It makes sense that we'd have something like this, to go with the suggestion that monster memory show all known resistances and susceptibilities, using that awesome memory grid instead of the existing "lump it into a giant paragraph" approach.
I saw a screenshot of that for monster memory, I think - but can't remember where to borrow the code from - is it FA?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 18:16   #76
bebo
Adept

bebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
using that awesome memory grid instead of the existing "lump it into a giant paragraph" approach.
In this case i totally approve (btw i also remember seeing a pic of that proposed monster memory screen some time ago - it looked positively awesome).
bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010, 21:45   #77
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo View Post
Yeah, I do agree adding the other slays to the current layout is pretty cluttered; I was mostly thinking of that as a possible simple stopgap before the info screen gets a proper overhaul. I'd just like to have the information there somewhere because I enjoy doing ID by use but it's a pain to keep re-inscribing weapons to keep track of the slays that I've already tested for.

I'm definitely in favour of a table layout; I like the way you get question marks on the untested resistances when you're wielding un-ID equipment and I'd like to see that on the weapon and armour info screens too.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010, 08:56   #78
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
How about:

Slays: o,T,P,Natural,Evil
*Slays*: D,U,Undead
Brands: AECFP

Or:
x2: Evil,Natural
x3: o,T,P,A,E,C,F,P
x5: D,U,Undead
Edit:
This kind of thing should be a (non-default) option. Tabular or shorthand format for newbies is unbelievably user-unfriendly.

Last edited by Pete Mack; September 16, 2010 at 09:05.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010, 15:17   #79
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Given that this is only going to be shown when you're examining an item, there's no particular need to compress it down so heavily. It can take up as much space as the dungeon display normally does if it needs to.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010, 01:44   #80
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Slays: o,T,P,Natural,Evil
*Slays*: D,U,Undead
Brands: AECFP

Or:
x2: Evil,Natural
x3: o,T,P,A,E,C,F,P
x5: D,U,Undead
Good concept, bad design. That just looks awful (like playing with ASCII). I think that Derakon is on the right track.