Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 26, 2012, 18:29   #31
Atanvarno
Rookie

Atanvarno is on a distinguished road
Here are my impressions based on a few runs with the competition character (only one of which got far). Of course the sample size is small, the character is bad, and I played very fast.

- I think I like the feel of this version. Item quality is closer to the old days. Are decent egos now too rare? I would need to play more to answer.

- I don't like radius-1 lights.

- As a general comment about the early game, I think that the character is a bit too vulnerable before getting staff of teleportation, but maybe I should just change my playing style (this is not just about this character, or just about this version).

- Stat potions seemed to be too rare. Fuzzy item detection might be one reason for that.

- I never saw scrolls of teleport level or deep descent (except possibly in the black market when I couldn't yet afford them). Also scrolls of teleportation were too rare.

- Some other consumables, like healing potions and wands of teleport other, were dropping at a reasonable rate.

- I never saw a single armour or shield of resistance (but I saw several armours of elvenkind in the deeper levels).
Atanvarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012, 19:08   #32
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
I'd vote for 2.4.frog-knows, but Magnate's suggestion is probably more instructive.
That would be fun but unless everybody uses doxbox, not sure if everybody could play it unless you could, and i think that would be awsome if you could compile somehow for windows.

Also for 2.4 you would have to edit the character dump to be read by the ladder,ex:
[angband 2.4 frog-knows character dump]
Old June 26, 2012, 21:16   #33
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atanvarno View Post
Here are my impressions based on a few runs with the competition character (only one of which got far). Of course the sample size is small, the character is bad, and I played very fast.

- I think I like the feel of this version. Item quality is closer to the old days. Are decent egos now too rare? I would need to play more to answer.
Getting item drops closer to the old days was a goal.

Quote:
- I don't like radius-1 lights.
I don't like them either. They're ok provided you aren't playing human or dunadan because of infravision. But they make those characters very tough early. Perhaps if "infra were sold in the magic shop, everything would be fine.

It's also possible that we will reverse this decision at some point.

Quote:
- As a general comment about the early game, I think that the character is a bit too vulnerable before getting staff of teleportation, but maybe I should just change my playing style (this is not just about this character, or just about this version).
That's generally true. Removing needs of teleportation would require some fundamental changes (see the variant Sil for example).

Quote:
- Stat potions seemed to be too rare. Fuzzy item detection might be one reason for that.
They are rarer, and fuzzy detection certainly doesn't help. There's certainly some improvements that can be done to stat gain. If you can survive to the bottom they start dropping more often.

Quote:
- I never saw scrolls of teleport level or deep descent (except possibly in the black market when I couldn't yet afford them). Also scrolls of teleportation were too rare.
I tend to come across them in the dungeon. ?TL are the ultimate escape so they should be fairly rare. ?DD is a mixed-blessing item since it now drops you 5 levels after a delay. I'd be ok with selling ?teleport in town. It's something to consider for the future.

Quote:
- Some other consumables, like healing potions and wands of teleport other, were dropping at a reasonable rate.
Healing potions are indeed more common. You likely got lucky with teleport other though!

Quote:
- I never saw a single armour or shield of resistance (but I saw several armours of elvenkind in the deeper levels).
Chalk that up to RNG funkiness. AFAIK there were no changes to these allocations beyond the general ego lowering.

Thanks for the feedback!
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012, 22:28   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I don't like them either. They're ok provided you aren't playing human or dunadan because of infravision. But they make those characters very tough early. Perhaps if "infra were sold in the magic shop, everything would be fine.
Personally I really like that you pretty much have to start with a radius-1 light. It greatly increases that claustrophobic feeling in the early game, and makes your first lantern an exciting find.

Quote:
They are rarer, and fuzzy detection certainly doesn't help. There's certainly some improvements that can be done to stat gain. If you can survive to the bottom they start dropping more often.
By the time you get to the bottom, stat gain potions are glorified stat restore potions. Stat gain should be basically common by 2000'.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012, 23:54   #35
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

By the time you get to the bottom, stat gain potions are glorified stat restore potions. Stat gain should be basically common by 2000'.
Wow, now that *would* make the game easy
Old June 27, 2012, 00:05   #36
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Reiterating - or 'going on about' depending - that I would *like* to have the game harder, but will not be playing 3.4 with the current uncloseable-window-clutter interface.

Is there a reason for this? I would welcome explanation - grumble grumble :-/
Reported as ticket 1664. I don't think there's a reason, aside from the cocoa port is still fairly new.

If you can compile, you should be able to compile the carbon port, which should still be functional - just
Code:
make -f Makefile.crb dist
in the src directory.
Old June 27, 2012, 01:38   #37
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
Wow, now that *would* make the game easy
Well, it depends on what's meant by "common", doesn't it? I mean that you should find probably about one or two potions per level at that depth. At least, I think that's about right.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012, 02:41   #38
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Well, it depends on what's meant by "common", doesn't it? I mean that you should find probably about one or two potions per level at that depth. At least, I think that's about right.
LOL! nice save....actualy stat potions are common to find 1 or 2 per level from DL-30 to 40, normaly unless your really lucky or unlucky.
Old June 27, 2012, 02:46   #39
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

How about a good character but no artifacts? I'm playing one now and enjoying it.
Old June 27, 2012, 05:49   #40
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Reported as ticket 1664. I don't think there's a reason, aside from the cocoa port is still fairly new.
Indeed. I will see if I can get to that next week, if no one else beats me to it. It should be a fairly straightforward fix. You can definitely close the windows from the subwindow option menu (=, w, uncheck any flags associated with that subwindow, exit menu).
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote