Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 30, 2020, 01:25   #441
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
There's this new thing (I think) where you sort enemies by XP. What, then, is the default sort?
By monster depth.
Old May 30, 2020, 08:31   #442
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Recharging wands/staves in a shop is a bit confusing and not very obvious. Is there a way of seeing which wands/staves will be recharged before giving them to the shop? The in-game help currently only hints that "Some wands and staves will also be recharged". Why not all btw?
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020, 14:16   #443
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Is it worth the shop's time and resources to recharge a wand such as heal monster, haste monster, or clone monster? I think the wands with negative attributes are the ones that don't get recharged.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020, 14:48   #444
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Recharging wands/staves in a shop is a bit confusing and not very obvious. Is there a way of seeing which wands/staves will be recharged before giving them to the shop? The in-game help currently only hints that "Some wands and staves will also be recharged". Why not all btw?
It's the ones that the store sells. I guess the idea is that you're giving them some of their regular stock, so they know what to do with it, but these other weird devices they don't want to mess with, so they just sell them again as is.
Old May 30, 2020, 15:03   #445
spara
Adept

I see. And it's still not that obvious. My beginning character tried to recharge a staff of cure light wounds. Nothing negative in that staff, but maybe the shop does not sell that kind of staves or something.
Old May 30, 2020, 20:03   #446
spara
Adept

@ found the Cloak of "Colluin" and activated it and got 5 temporary resists activated and at the same time learned the runes for fire, cold, electricity and acid, since the cloak has the runes also. But not the poison rune even though the cloak has the resist poison rune.

Another thing. I have a vague memory that this has been brought up before, but anyway, I find it a bit glitchy that @ immediately recognizes the Ring of Teleportation as Ring of Teleportation even though the teleportation curse has not been learned yet.
Old May 30, 2020, 22:39   #447
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
By monster depth.
I like this idea, and this new sort is somewhat useful. Distance from @ comes to mind as an option for monsters and treasure.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020, 23:33   #448
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
What if racial flags were grouped with status effects rather than equipment flags? This would (mostly) make these racial effects more impactful into the mid and late game, as racial resist light, dark, and poison would stack with the equipment you often obtain mid-game. Some things still can't stack, like sustains and prot_blind. And there are choices to make about whether some things like hold life or regen should stack. But I think it would make the racial choice more interesting and definitely more impactful.

This may not make the imminent 4.2.1, but what do you think?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2020, 00:13   #449
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
@ found the Cloak of "Colluin" and activated it and got 5 temporary resists activated and at the same time learned the runes for fire, cold, electricity and acid, since the cloak has the runes also. But not the poison rune even though the cloak has the resist poison rune.
Looks like a bug, thanks.

Quote:
Another thing. I have a vague memory that this has been brought up before, but anyway, I find it a bit glitchy that @ immediately recognizes the Ring of Teleportation as Ring of Teleportation even though the teleportation curse has not been learned yet.
Yes, agreed, but that's currently the least worst way to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
What if racial flags were grouped with status effects rather than equipment flags? This would (mostly) make these racial effects more impactful into the mid and late game, as racial resist light, dark, and poison would stack with the equipment you often obtain mid-game. Some things still can't stack, like sustains and prot_blind. And there are choices to make about whether some things like hold life or regen should stack. But I think it would make the racial choice more interesting and definitely more impactful.

This may not make the imminent 4.2.1, but what do you think?
I think no. Racial resists are permanent, so should behave like other permanent resists (and racial RPois does stack with temporary RPois). So unless we're thinking of a big rethink of how resists work (and the same applies for things like regen stacking), I think it should stay as is.
Old May 31, 2020, 01:36   #450
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New builds are now up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source) with these changes:
  • Check of monster generation code to try and make sure dead uniques don't come back to life (#4245) - I think this is now fixed, probably because of something backwardsEric did a few weeks ago
  • Rework how targeting of Lightning Strike works - now requires monster target on a visited grid (#4245)
  • Light town correctly (most notably fixes part of #4232 for persistent levels)
  • No more artifact spoilers for persistent levels (the rest of #4232)
  • Updates to Shockbolt dark tiles to make doors and shops look right (thanks spara)
  • Fix to learning of RPois rune from temporary RPois (spara again)
  • Update of object info following the change to melee criticals (thanks David Medley)
  • New makefiles for compiling curses and SDL2 Windows versions (may still need some refinement - thanks Adriankhl)
  • Update to VC project file (thanks Kusunose)
  • Test to check that monster.txt is parsed correctly by the lore parser (Kusunose again)
This leaves no bugs remaining on current master (that's zero). I expect version 4.2.1 to be released some time in the next week.