Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 30, 2015, 06:07   #21
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Wanderlust is on a distinguished road
Well The Hobbit is a HUGE hit with my son. And this is the first time I've read a book to him without "dumbing down" the vocabulary to his level ... I just couldn't do that to Tolkein.

Even with that, he actually begs me to read just a bit more every night. The same long descriptive passages and detailed imagery that really challenged me to not get bored when I read this for the first time, are completely captivating to him. Plus of course the main character is small like a kid and the whole "steal the dragon's gold" quest is just classic.

Even better, he's loving Angband and he's actually doing quite well. Right now he's cruising DL20 with a level 15 hobbit rogue. He totally understands (and loves) stealth, and when he finds great items he jumps up with his hands in the air. He's still talking about how great it was to find Elvagil on DL12.

Of course, this is the first character we rolled just for him, with him making all the big decisions, and him manning the keyboard most of the time. So he hasn't died yet ... we'll see how that part goes ...

Last edited by Wanderlust; December 30, 2015 at 08:45.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015, 21:09   #22
tprice
Adept

tprice is on a distinguished road
Good news all around Wanderlust!
tprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015, 10:14   #23
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Well at this point I no longer have any doubt about the original question. Mark's first character died and he was not happy. But then he saw how the hall of fame works and saves all his character data so he can surpass it next time around. And right away he decided to start a new character, who he decided would be a half-troll mage. (He loves both magic and regeneration.)

Unfortunately Mark II died on DL2. He was swarmed by 5 low-level monsters plus Fang. After the death, Mark figured out exactly what had happened ... a shrieker mushroom several rooms earlier. Love it that he figured that out.

He started a new half-troll mage right away and we had one of the most exciting gaming sessions ever on DL2 as a pesky soldier chased him all around the level. He used up every phase door and CLW he had and escaped by the nick of his teeth with a kobold blocking the escape stairway by checking the monster memory to figure out that the kobold could kill him in 1 hit when he was down to 8 HP, but not when he had 9. That knowledge allowed him to plan precisely and with a little luck, he survived the encounter (even though 10 wolves were waiting on the other side of that staircase).

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18536

One of the "keys" to making the game enjoyable for him is setting up keymaps so he can use his spells, rest to full health + SP, and other common game actions. I have a laptop so it's really challenging to deal with the keys. Today I'm going shopping to buy a new keyboard with a nice row of function keys at the top

Last edited by Wanderlust; December 31, 2015 at 11:58.
Old December 31, 2015, 10:42   #24
Raccoon
Scout

Raccoon is on a distinguished road
I'm truly amazed by these stories. I've known kids that I try to read them stories, or show them how to play even simple games like Pokemon, and they get frustrated and angry because they don't want to deal with the challenge at all.

You either lucked out or are a hell of a parent to have a kid that wants to throw everything he has into learning and overcoming.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015, 21:02   #25
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Wanderlust, that's really cool and heartwarmingly sweet to envision as well. Good luck to...well, probably best not best to call him minilust...but good luck to your son and happy delving!

edit: oh, Mark. That's his actual name, not just his dude. I was thinking "Mk. 1" meaning first character. Okay, good luck to Mark, then.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016, 16:27   #26
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Really a great account and I look forward to reading more of Mark's adventures.

Half Troll-Mage isn't the easiest combination to learn with though. It takes them a very long time before magic is viable. Half Troll-Warrior is probably the go-to combination that should get Mark at least into the mid-game. High-elf-Mage, Dwarf-Priest, Dunadan-Ranger, Hobbit-Rogue, are a few other more standard combinations that should give good learning experience while still being robust for survival.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016, 09:28   #27
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Yes, half-troll warrior is proving to be amazing fun and also much better for learning.

Here's Mark's current character: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18540

To facilitate play, we've been taping icons to the keyboard to give single-key access to ranged combat and all magic. We make little icons from paper and tape them to the keyboard. Like this Mark has direct control and this seems to make his thinking process much more careful and deeper.

We're looking forward to trying all the other suggested starting combos too (not just Mark).

Last edited by Wanderlust; January 3, 2016 at 09:58.
Old January 6, 2016, 09:50   #28
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Mark and I have been playing a couple short (i.e., half-hourish) Angband sessions each day. This is actually the perfect game for allowing a kid to play, but keeping limits on it. Even 5 minutes can be enough for a satisfying session sometimes.

He had a phenomenal run with his first half-troll warrior: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18540

But this morning it happened ... 1550' deep in the dungeon, before kindergarten. A swarm of earth hounds with a couple ghasts and ghouls mixed in. He was out of arrows at the time so he was tending toward melee.

"Uh oh ... be careful of those things! They can paralyze you which means you might die instantly!"

"No, Daddy, just look! They're easy to kill!"

"Argh! That's dangerous. Run away!"

"But it's so much fun to kill them ..."

He didn't understand what had happened until I went into the messages log and showed him where the ghast paralyzed him. After that it looked like he got attacked a hundred times or more (we didn't count). When he saw that he understood everything.

He cried after ... but by the time he went to kindergarten he was already dreaming of how he'll get even deeper next time.

My next project is to try to make Angband more accessible for him. I have a keyboard on order that will hopefully arrive today. I intend to use autoinscriptions/keymaps extensively along with icons glued onto the keys to give him single-key, no-reading-required access to all the functions needed to play the game ... at least the tactical parts like eating, resting, fighting, quaffing potions, reading scrolls, using wands/rods/staves, etc. He'll still need my help for inventory management and to read monster and item descriptions, but he'll be in full control, which will help him learn.

Half-troll warrior was a blast for him to play because of the simplicity and the dramatic power curve. Regeneration is really fun too. But he watched me playing a half-elf mage the other day and he was amazed how different the play is. Wonder what class he'll choose next.
Old January 6, 2016, 10:09   #29
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Great he did so well going deeper. Death to lack of free action...can happen to everyone at some point or another. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17085 Died to a Gorgimera. The bad part was, my @ had a ring of Free Action, but just didn't wear it!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016, 02:16   #30
Bowman
Apprentice

Bowman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
The bad part was, my @ had a ring of Free Action, but just didn't wear it!
I've had that happen too, because I took off my ring of free action to recharge a ring of digging while I was sorting through treasure in (what I thought was) a cleared vault. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the trapper until it was too late

Great to hear about how well it's been going with your son! Getting to dl31 as quickly as he has is a good accomplishment.
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote