Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2016, 22:21   #11
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,023
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
when have you ever found your third piece of any set in D2 without twinking (&c)?
I had one time when I managed to assemble a particular low-level set ("Arctic Furs" or something?) before the end of Act 2. It gave the "cannot be frozen" ability and I was so psyched to fight Duriel and not have to deal with his stupid freezing aura.

Then I discovered that the freezing aura overcomes the "cannot be frozen" ability. What the hell, Blizzard.

But yeah, aside from that, I played D2 pretty much all through college and I don't think I ever found more than two pieces of a set when it was level-appropriate. But D2 had major drop rate issues; the game was not calibrated for singleplayer.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 23:18   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,736
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
So Radagast. I'm not really sure why he's in there (or why other "good" creatures are.) But as long as they are, there's an opportunity: if you kill one, you start taking double damage from enemy Orb of Draining. This either persists for the rest of the game, or at least until you kill one or more "evil" uniques.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 08:35   #13
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pisa / DL0
Posts: 894
fph is on a distinguished road
A big drawback of item sets is that they reduce a lot the endgame kit variability, so they make replaying the game more boring and repetitive. I's like the "everyone is using Thorin in the endgame" problem, but three times larger.
__________________
Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.
--
You read a scroll labeled 'lol gtfo' of Teleport Level.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 12:57   #14
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,372
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I had one time when I managed to assemble a particular low-level set ("Arctic Furs" or something?) before the end of Act 2. It gave the "cannot be frozen" ability and I was so psyched to fight Duriel and not have to deal with his stupid freezing aura.

Then I discovered that the freezing aura overcomes the "cannot be frozen" ability. What the hell, Blizzard.
Ah, yes. Classic WTF moment, right? I think their design team may have been optimizing for different things, but that was just one of those what-were-they-doing moments. "Aha! You've found a way to make $BOSS less dangerous. Well, F*** you, we'll just make him immune to that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
But yeah, aside from that, I played D2 pretty much all through college and I don't think I ever found more than two pieces of a set when it was level-appropriate. But D2 had major drop rate issues; the game was not calibrated for singleplayer.
That's true, but I tend to think that calibrating drop rates in the presence of sets gets... difficult.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 13:30   #15
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
I tend to think that calibrating drop rates in the presence of sets gets... difficult.
Risk/reward: Players have to kill dangerous uniques to get sets, but getting a full set might be worth it? After all, kill Morgoth get Grond and Crown.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 13:52   #16
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,689
Estie is on a distinguished road
There was an item combo in the game not so long ago: when elemental rings used to brand. I liked it very much and dont know why it got removed.

The issue in tome with the Thanc-set wasnt the triple wielding; you could posses a Marillith to get that. But using 3 Thancs had like a 99% chance for at least one of them picking up the dungeon-wrecking flag (or worse). The implementation was: go to great length to get&make use of a set, then have a 1% chance of it actually being useful, a 98% chance of it becoming useless, and a 1% chance of it destroying your career. I played a lot of tome, but naturally never used that set.

As for randart artifact sets:
The simplest way would be to determine a (random) number of sets at the start; then assign random powers that are granted when combinations of set items are equipped. While that isnt likely to be thematic in any way, shape or form, thats a different problem already present in current randarts. If ever those get a thematic upgrade, so would the sets.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 18:04   #17
Bowman
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 60
Bowman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But yeah, aside from that, I played D2 pretty much all through college and I don't think I ever found more than two pieces of a set when it was level-appropriate. But D2 had major drop rate issues; the game was not calibrated for singleplayer.
The other problem aside from rarity was that most of the D2 set items were pretty bad, with or without the set bonus effects. I think I only really used cleglaw's gloves (for ranged builds where the knockback+slow was useful) and tal rasha's mask (for life/mana leech + 15% resists). The full cleglaw's set was actually decent for its level, but as you said, good luck getting all of the parts while they're still relevant.

If there's a way to make it work with randarts, it'd be an interesting thing to try, but I think thing that AnonymousHero's idea about ego syngeries sounds more interesting, since it could give more opportunity for ego items (aside from MoD of extra attacks, lantern of true sight, amulet of trickery, boots of speed/elvenkind, robe of permanence, shield of preservation/elvenkind, and DSM of speed/elvenkin...probably missed a few others but you get the idea) to compete with artifacts for endgame gear.
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 19:00   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,736
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It was too powerful. Even with weak brand, Glaive of Pain became too powerful, as did big +2 attacks weapons. With Ring of Acid, you could take down Sauron much too easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
There was an item combo in the game not so long ago: when elemental rings used to brand. I liked it very much and dont know why it got removed.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2016, 11:19   #19
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,372
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The issue in tome with the Thanc-set wasnt the triple wielding; you could posses a Marillith to get that. But using 3 Thancs had like a 99% chance for at least [...]
AFAIUI it's even worse than that. AFAIR you don't actually get all 3 attacks. (You do get off-hand bonuses.)

There were patches in Furyband to fix this, but I don't think I ever incorporated them into "mainline" T2.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2016, 00:48   #20
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,689
Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It was too powerful. Even with weak brand, Glaive of Pain became too powerful, as did big +2 attacks weapons. With Ring of Acid, you could take down Sauron much too easily.
It seems to me that the game designer should pick the mechanic first and then balance around it; not judge ideas based on a given balance. The mechanics make or break a (single player) game, never the balance.

In the past years, Vanilla has undergone a rollercoaster ride through difficulties, vastly more impactful than the branding ring change. It is my impression that the difficulty had little effect on how enjoyable a given version was. And whether the Sauron fight takes 10 or 15 rounds has very little impact compared to some other things that got changed.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variant with diverse character combos and great item system? stabwound Variants 30 July 25, 2013 20:46
Challenging Race Class Combos Bombadil Vanilla 11 February 6, 2013 06:21
equipment help Gockel AAR 37 April 5, 2011 18:32
Equipment Questions celem Vanilla 44 January 24, 2011 12:52
Feature suggestion 'l'ook for inventory/equipment PaulBlay Development 5 March 1, 2009 08:03


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.