AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 8, 2014, 10:01   #41
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just because you can't count on a resist for anything better than ~15% damage reduction doesn't mean it won't often reduce damage a lot more -- you could get 85% reduction instead, for example. Your argument is kind of like saying that because a spell does 1d100 damage, it's useless because you can't count on it to deal more than 1 damage. Overly reductionist, in other words.
That's not quite the same thing. Player characters have low hitpoints and are threatened by burst damage. Monsters have massive hitpoint pools and not much healing, so we wear down monsters through avoiding damage, healing and having good average damage. Resists are good for a couple things, but mostly reducing maximum damage to a survivable level, avoiding side-effects and for nether, conserving healing supplies.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014, 00:09   #42
OOD Town drunk
Adept

OOD Town drunk is on a distinguished road
Perhaps monster knowledge could be acquired via esp. At least for intelligent monsters. That would likely help newer players without breaking the game.
OOD Town drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 06:00   #43
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Since full knowledge would mark @ as a cheat, I shamelessly savescummed through the new version a few times, Probing everything. Now, with a full-knowledge Savefile I play without savescuming. It was a pain, but if I win the character won't be marked as a cheat. Seems to me that the competition characters should always have full monster knowledge to level the playing field.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 06:20   #44
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
We should just have full monster knowledge all the time so you don't have to do these ridiculous things
Old March 15, 2014, 07:26   #45
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Since full knowledge would mark @ as a cheat, I shamelessly savescummed through the new version a few times, Probing everything. Now, with a full-knowledge Savefile I play without savescuming. It was a pain, but if I win the character won't be marked as a cheat. Seems to me that the competition characters should always have full monster knowledge to level the playing field.
You can get full monster memory using debug-mode. There is a command to acquire full monster memory: ^ar which writes monster memory to your savefile. If you then quit and start fresh using that same file you have full monster memory. You can do reverse with ^aW (wipe recall).

I was thinking reverse for competition. No monster memory whatsoever. It is people that compete each others, no need to level the playing field. Unless whoever comes up with competition char wants to. It's pretty arbitrary, and I feel that monster memory is not necessity in any way.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 08:54   #46
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Well, without any monster info, it is obvious that experienced players are in advantage because they know a lot about angband monsters.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 12:13   #47
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Well, without any monster info, it is obvious that experienced players are in advantage because they know a lot about angband monsters.
Obviously, but for competition I fail to see why that would be a bad thing.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 13:13   #48
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
It depends on whether you're interested in getting more (and therefore, usually meaning newer) players into the competitions. Heck, I'm a longtime player and I've only recently submitted to the general ladder, much less the competition ones. They're intimidating enough as-is.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 16:16   #49
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Presumably you endure this penance so you won't be marked at a cheat on the ladder. If so, wouldn't it be far easier just to edit the char dump (txt file), remove the bit about cheating, and maybe put in a note about having full monster knowledge.
Old March 15, 2014, 17:03   #50
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
You can get full monster memory using debug-mode. There is a command to acquire full monster memory: ^ar which writes monster memory to your savefile. If you then quit and start fresh using that same file you have full monster memory. You can do reverse with ^aW (wipe recall).

I was thinking reverse for competition. No monster memory whatsoever. It is people that compete each others, no need to level the playing field. Unless whoever comes up with competition char wants to. It's pretty arbitrary, and I feel that monster memory is not necessity in any way.
As much as I hate not having full recall in normal games and think it's utterly stupid, this could actually be a really fun idea for a competition!

HallucinationMushroom took it a step further in Sil, where I think he changed all monsters to have the same name and glyph, so that you never knew what you were fighting until it did stuff. That might also be a hilarious comp mode