Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2014, 10:01   #41
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 909
Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just because you can't count on a resist for anything better than ~15% damage reduction doesn't mean it won't often reduce damage a lot more -- you could get 85% reduction instead, for example. Your argument is kind of like saying that because a spell does 1d100 damage, it's useless because you can't count on it to deal more than 1 damage. Overly reductionist, in other words.
That's not quite the same thing. Player characters have low hitpoints and are threatened by burst damage. Monsters have massive hitpoint pools and not much healing, so we wear down monsters through avoiding damage, healing and having good average damage. Resists are good for a couple things, but mostly reducing maximum damage to a survivable level, avoiding side-effects and for nether, conserving healing supplies.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014, 00:09   #42
OOD Town drunk
Adept
 
OOD Town drunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington state
Age: 36
Posts: 171
OOD Town drunk is on a distinguished road
Perhaps monster knowledge could be acquired via esp. At least for intelligent monsters. That would likely help newer players without breaking the game.
OOD Town drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 06:00   #43
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,932
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Since full knowledge would mark @ as a cheat, I shamelessly savescummed through the new version a few times, Probing everything. Now, with a full-knowledge Savefile I play without savescuming. It was a pain, but if I win the character won't be marked as a cheat. Seems to me that the competition characters should always have full monster knowledge to level the playing field.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 06:20   #44
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,385
debo is on a distinguished road
We should just have full monster knowledge all the time so you don't have to do these ridiculous things
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 07:26   #45
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Since full knowledge would mark @ as a cheat, I shamelessly savescummed through the new version a few times, Probing everything. Now, with a full-knowledge Savefile I play without savescuming. It was a pain, but if I win the character won't be marked as a cheat. Seems to me that the competition characters should always have full monster knowledge to level the playing field.
You can get full monster memory using debug-mode. There is a command to acquire full monster memory: ^ar which writes monster memory to your savefile. If you then quit and start fresh using that same file you have full monster memory. You can do reverse with ^aW (wipe recall).

I was thinking reverse for competition. No monster memory whatsoever. It is people that compete each others, no need to level the playing field. Unless whoever comes up with competition char wants to. It's pretty arbitrary, and I feel that monster memory is not necessity in any way.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 08:54   #46
Mondkalb
Knight
 
Mondkalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Well, without any monster info, it is obvious that experienced players are in advantage because they know a lot about angband monsters.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 12:13   #47
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Well, without any monster info, it is obvious that experienced players are in advantage because they know a lot about angband monsters.
Obviously, but for competition I fail to see why that would be a bad thing.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 13:13   #48
krazyhades
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 428
krazyhades is on a distinguished road
It depends on whether you're interested in getting more (and therefore, usually meaning newer) players into the competitions. Heck, I'm a longtime player and I've only recently submitted to the general ladder, much less the competition ones. They're intimidating enough as-is.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 16:16   #49
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Since full knowledge would mark @ as a cheat, I shamelessly savescummed through the new version a few times, Probing everything. Now, with a full-knowledge Savefile I play without savescuming. It was a pain, but if I win the character won't be marked as a cheat. Seems to me that the competition characters should always have full monster knowledge to level the playing field.
Presumably you endure this penance so you won't be marked at a cheat on the ladder. If so, wouldn't it be far easier just to edit the char dump (txt file), remove the bit about cheating, and maybe put in a note about having full monster knowledge.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014, 17:03   #50
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,385
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
You can get full monster memory using debug-mode. There is a command to acquire full monster memory: ^ar which writes monster memory to your savefile. If you then quit and start fresh using that same file you have full monster memory. You can do reverse with ^aW (wipe recall).

I was thinking reverse for competition. No monster memory whatsoever. It is people that compete each others, no need to level the playing field. Unless whoever comes up with competition char wants to. It's pretty arbitrary, and I feel that monster memory is not necessity in any way.
As much as I hate not having full recall in normal games and think it's utterly stupid, this could actually be a really fun idea for a competition!

HallucinationMushroom took it a step further in Sil, where I think he changed all monsters to have the same name and glyph, so that you never knew what you were fighting until it did stuff. That might also be a hilarious comp mode
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Hobbit movie, part 2 Estie Idle chatter 4 January 27, 2014 10:00
New vision for Angband - Part 1 TJS Vanilla 77 October 25, 2013 08:31
Pyrel dev log, part 2 Derakon Variants 126 September 11, 2012 22:03
Play FAangband part II Fendell Orcbane AAR 6 November 29, 2010 20:53
Quill, Part II Sirridan AAR 9 June 25, 2009 03:51


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.