Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 12, 2009, 01:26   #31
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There IS a noon-band. It is called quickband, and it is utterly unforgiving yet the easiest of all 'bands to win. It teaches you:

- diving
- use of buffs
- evasion
- distance combat
- winning with weak gear
- class & race differences

In a very short time. You just have to plan on dying early and often.
It's the only band I've ever killed a baby dragon at cl 1. (yes it can be done. No it's not easy.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 01:37   #32
Hematite
Rookie

Hematite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One or two people here have advocated save-scumming as a "learning aid" for new players. I say thee NAY!
Oh, totally! I agree that permadeath is an important part of the game, but there was a long time where I didn't know enough about the game to have any meaningful game experience to risk losing. Save scumming let me see enough of the game to actually figure out how to play it, but I'd rather there was a better way to learn how to play effectively. I'm going to check out quickband as suggested.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 03:02   #33
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Save scumming used judiciously *is* a valuable learning tool. But not for boobs. A savefile at 2000' is invaluable for getting to RoSpeed depth without dying and wasting a lot of time getting back thru stat gain.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 03:36   #34
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't advocate save scumming to newbs.

What I think is important, is to stress is that you whole game can pivot on a single keystroke. Stick around the wrong monster just 1 turn too long, even if be only a lowly novice mage, and your character can trun from promising to nearly dead in an instant. This becomes more frequent as you progress through the game, and one must learn to deal with them, be it by death or hopefully survival. Save scumming glosses over these life and decisions that one must learn to recognize.

Maybe a one page basic strategy guide, for the newb, wouldn't hurt either.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 09:16   #35
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Maybe a one page basic strategy guide, for the newb, wouldn't hurt either.
I found the Angband Newbie Guide - http://www.thangorodrim.net/TANG/index.html - very useful when I started playing, though I now disagree with quite a lot of it.
In particular, the section on recommended depths promoted overly conservative strategy like completing statgain at very shallow depths, which I find boring, unnecessary and extremely time-consuming. Perhaps it is time for a new version. After all, it has been nearly ten years since it was last updated.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 09:25   #36
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
I found the Angband Newbie Guide - http://www.thangorodrim.net/TANG/index.html - very useful when I started playing, though I now disagree with quite a lot of it.
In particular, the section on recommended depths promoted overly conservative strategy like completing statgain at very shallow depths, which I find boring, unnecessary and extremely time-consuming. Perhaps it is time for a new version. After all, it has been nearly ten years since it was last updated.
It has been largely replaced by the User Manual now.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:07   #37
Dragonboneman
Adept

The User Manual does a great job of explaining the interface and how to actually play the game, but it doesn't contain many tips on how to stay alive.
What I'm talking about would be slightly more spoilery, with a few tips about common killers (Maggot's dogs, poison, paralysis) and general descriptions of things to look out for, like "from around 2,000' onwards, monsters with extremely powerful poison attacks, such as Ancient Green Dragons, Ancient Multi-Hued Dragons and Drolems will start appearing in the dungeon. These should be avoided unless the player has a source of poison resistance as an unresisted breath will often mean instant death."

Basically, I'm proposing a new document containing the sort of essential information that veteran players frequently find themselves posting on the boards or on chardumps.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:16   #38
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It has been largely replaced by the User Manual now.
But the most useful feature of TANG was the strategy advice (carry ?Tele, use ASCs, etc), not the "how to play" part - which I can't find in the User Manual, unless I'm missing something. The problem is that *band strategy has developed since TANG was written (for example, paralysation is still dangerous after 1000', but normal practice now is to detect & run away rather than wait for FA before going past 1000') so it is no longer as useful as it once was.
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 10:24   #39
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
The User Manual does a great job of explaining the interface and how to actually play the game, but it doesn't contain many tips on how to stay alive.
Yes, I see your point. There was a discussion when the manual was being heavily worked on about a tactics guide being written too (in fact, there's mention of it in the to do section of the manual), but I think talk is as far as it got.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:38   #40
Dragonboneman
Adept

I'd be happy to contribute towards such a project if more manpower is what's needed.