Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 12, 2009, 13:05   #41
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
- if you meet something, you should be able to kill it using tactics appropriate to your class.

This is my tactics. I explore each level fully and I kill everything.

I admit that power-diving is a better way to beat the game quickly, but for me, more fun lies in the wrong approach. YMMV.

These forums seems to be habitated purely by power divers. Be wary!
Old January 12, 2009, 13:14   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I admit that power-diving is a better way to beat the game quickly, but for me, more fun lies in the wrong approach. YMMV.
Well said. The only reason to change your style of play is if you're not having fun.
Old January 12, 2009, 13:26   #43
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Save scumming used judiciously *is* a valuable learning tool. But not for boobs.
Still trying to get my head around what that could mean. Makes me laugh every time though
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 14:27   #44
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I'm certainly not playing this game to win in the fewest turns possible (heck, just to win would be novel). I find the game for fulfilling and fun when I explore entire maps. I guess it's the Diablo side of me.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009, 14:45   #45
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
I'm not a fast player as I prefer to hunt down all the uniques, which means my winners all have turncounts running into the millions (I townscum and rest a lot). But I have my moments of recklessness where I'll descend a thousand feet or so.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2009, 00:42   #46
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
That was my iPod touch-I mistyped noob on the tiny keyboard.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 20:46   #47
hillsc
Rookie

hillsc is on a distinguished road
I might be one of those on the "outside" of RL's looking in, and can tell you that the first reply was spot-on about why these will never find a larger audience. Just to avoid this being a "me too" post, I have a case study for you.

Down at 2200 feet, battling a nest of mature dragons, I was doing great keeping them stuck down the hall and only taking on one at a time at the corner. Standard operating procedure.

Then I get my 2% chanced "You failed to get the spell off!" and thinking I'm about to fire a spell, I actually step into the hallway. I hate that. You're going along a top speed, casting spells over and over and over and suddenly this mechanical keystroke sequence which has, until this point, only generated positive results, just this one time, also generates instant (and permanent) death.

I say instant, but no, it actually took about two minutes of hitting return at all the "--more--" prompts before I actually died.

Luckily, I cheat. Unluckily, I left about $1.4M in loot on the ground after dispatching 80% of those buggers.
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 22:47   #48
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsc View Post
Then I get my 2% chanced "You failed to get the spell off!" and thinking I'm about to fire a spell, I actually step into the hallway. I hate that. You're going along a top speed, casting spells over and over and over and suddenly this mechanical keystroke sequence which has, until this point, only generated positive results, just this one time, also generates instant (and permanent) death.
Hmm. There is a simple solution to accidental movement on spell failure. It's allways been considered more trouble than it's worth, but it would be worthwhile to know what you, as an outsider, think of it:

Would you have played the game if the arrow keys if you had to hit the walk command (.) before moving?

If it were an option would you enable it now, knowing it would prevent you from dieing from typing too fast?

Another option is to remove either run (shift+dir) or easy alter (ctrl+dir) functionality and map the modifier so freed to walking while removing the existing walk keymaps. This would also eliminate your form of death by typing too fast.

If the interface is optimized to experienced players in a way that makes it troublesome for new players it needs to change if we're going to get new players to stay around.
Old January 28, 2009, 23:29   #49
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
Hmm. There is a simple solution to accidental movement on spell failure. It's allways been considered more trouble than it's worth, but it would be worthwhile to know what you, as an outsider, think of it:
Not simple, and not that solution, but I did have an idea that could 'solve' that a short while back. In macros / keymappings there is (as far as I know) no 'abort on fail' option. If failed actions aborted macros you wouldn't have the remaining characters misinterpreted.

In other words if the unlucky poster "Fire spell north" (m3dn, or whatever) assigned to a macro instead of
"Fire spell" <failed> "walk north"
he would have had
"Fire spell" <failed><macro aborted>
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2009, 00:15   #50
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
Hmm. There is a simple solution to accidental movement on spell failure.
I have yet another simple solution to offer. Instead of shooting the spell in a direction, target the monster with *t. If your spell fails, you won't move, or even make an action wasting a turn. You can even make a foolproof macro that way: \e\e\em3d*t will likewise never result in a wasted turn (at least, I can't think of any situations in which it would).

There are no doubt some situations where it's more advantageous to provide a direction (light beams come to mind), but it would be better in general for a player's muscle memory to provide a target monster to prevent these kinds of mistakes.