Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 4, 2013, 03:05   #1
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
*acquirement* bought from a store

I bought a scroll of *Acquirement* from a store. I'm a Cl40. Umm... should I word of recall to my lowest last depth in the dungeon and read it there for a better chance of a good item (unless the level has a lousy feeling?) or should I read it in the town where there is no level feeling?
Grotug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 03:55   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I bought a scroll of *Acquirement* from a store. I'm a Cl40. Umm... should I word of recall to my lowest last depth in the dungeon and read it there for a better chance of a good item (unless the level has a lousy feeling?) or should I read it in the town where there is no level feeling?
Deeper is better IIRC. Level feeling doesn't matter. But in actuality, none of this matters because you will invariably end up acquiring something utterly useless to your character.
Old December 4, 2013, 14:54   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, for Acquirement the item level is determined by the dungeon level when you read the scroll.

For chests, the item level is determined by where you found the chest.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 17:29   #4
Grotug
Veteran

Thank you. Buzzkill was right. Nothing useful.

Man, I am a piece of work. When I get nervous, I play *horribly* My mind goes blank, I get punchy and twice now have pressed M > D > D (teleport level) instead of M > D > A (blink self) Because in my nervousness I involuntarily press D twice! Incredible. Was facing off with Mouth of Sauron in a hallway but right in front of him was a silent watcher and of course (just thought of it now) I didn't think to teleport the silent watcher away! Grrrrrr, instead I was trying to blink self on the other side of MoS. Stupid. oh well, no treasures level feeling anyway, so maybe next time I face him it will be a better level feeling. Also, he was cutting my health in half with each storm of ___ he threw at me so it was risky business, but I had the resources to defeat him such as to-dam [+22] long bow of extra shots and [+14] arrows and +18 speed and every kind of saving grace potion. I wish I was the kind of person that performed well under pressure instead of freezing up and becoming pathetic. Protection from fear only gets you so far

Oh, and my melee weapon is the best I've gotten so far: 420 vs evil, 337.5 vs others 502.5 vs orcs and trolls. Fun times. I have a mace of disruption in storage that does over 800 vs dragons, 600+ vs undead and no bonus against evil, so I prefer the speed, dexterity and to-evil bonus of my Lance of Forth Eorlingas.
Old December 4, 2013, 17:32   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Just remember, it's a turn-based game. You don't need to type quickly to win.

The Mouth of Sauron is a pretty nasty customer. I just checked his stats and something like 2/3rds of his spell list is things you really don't want him to cast, plus his melee causes disenchantment and drains charges. My advice would be to just leave him be; some uniques just aren't worth killing!
Old December 4, 2013, 18:17   #6
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

The Mouth of Sauron is a pretty nasty customer. I just checked his stats and something like 2/3rds of his spell list is things you really don't want him to cast, plus his melee causes disenchantment and drains charges. My advice would be to just leave him be; some uniques just aren't worth killing!
He's like a mini-Sauron, only you don't actually have to defeat him.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 19:02   #7
Grotug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

I got a Frodo-amulet from him last time. I think it sustained life force (which I already have presently) and provided rNether (which I don't have) as well as like +3 wisdom. But perhaps you guys are right that it was best I rose up through the ceiling. I tend to try to kill all uniques. You have to understand I come from playing Doom (first person shooter--I like old school games) and in that game there's a tendency to want to clear the levels of all the baddies before proceeding--so it's hard for me to move out of that mindset, but I am learning to flee levels that are just not worth the trouble.

As far as choking under pressure, even when I'm sitting there wondering what to do, even though there is no time pressure, there still is, because I have lousy short term memory, and the more time that goes by, the more I'm afraid I'll forget about what happened in the immediate past. Part of the fun, tho.
Old December 4, 2013, 21:18   #8
Grotug
Veteran

Gee, my cloak of recharge wands sure fails alot for 97.2% success rate. I have destroyed about 5 wands in around 20 tries. It's having closer to a 75% rate of success than 97% (that means it's failing 8X more than it should).
Old December 4, 2013, 22:02   #9
Derakon
Prophet

You're confusing the chance of successfully activating the artifact with the chance that recharging will succeed (admittedly, the activation description is misleading). Any recharging spell has a chance of failure even if you manage to cast it "correctly". For best results, fully-discharge the wand or staff before recharging.
Old December 4, 2013, 22:06   #10
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Gee, my cloak of recharge wands sure fails alot for 97.2% success rate. I have destroyed about 5 wands in around 20 tries. It's having closer to a 75% rate of success than 97% (that means it's failing 8X more than it should).
The fail rate (AFAIA) is purely for whether or not the 'spell' comes off.
If it does, i.e. 97% of the time, there is a further check to see whether you get a recharge or an explosion. I believe the chance of explosion scales up with the level of the wand or staff.

Personally, I'm *convinced* that the priest spell 'Sense Surroundings' fails at least 3 times more often than it should.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote