AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 22, 2021, 17:58   #1
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Blackguard play style.

Currently have a character at DL 38, CL 29, finally up to 1.6 blows after finding a +3 Ring of Dexterity. But I continue to go thru CCW at a ridiculous rate--my recall schedule is limited by the time it takes to use up 20 of them. (If the Berserk spell did a bit of healing, and didn't last so long, this wouldn't be so bad.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2021, 00:02   #2
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Are you just swinging, or are you using your spells like Leap into Battle? By CL 29 you should be getting two swings with Leap into Battle (if you're playing 4.2.1), or Whirlwind Attack (if you're playing 4.2.2). Not only will that let you do more damage most of the time (though perhaps not a *ton* more statistically when accounting for fail rates), but casting also heals you some. I find that spamming Leap into Battle/Whirlwind (depending on version) once I get down to 5% fail rate is a great way to keep my Health up *just enough* that I don't need many healing potions.

Though this probably depends on what race you're using. I tend to play Dunadan and High Elf, and both of them can get down to 5% very quickly. A Half-Troll probably takes longer...

Rings of Open Wound are also very nice for giving you some renewable healing without drawback, since you already have impaired regeneration.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2021, 04:21   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

yes I was using whirlwind a lot. I had 8% fail with Dunadan. But 2 blows isn't much at dl 40, even with a good weapon. A mediocre ring of damage would make a good light weapon do better, not to mention archery that actually hits its targets.
Old April 23, 2021, 07:14   #4
archolewa
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
yes I was using whirlwind a lot. I had 8% fail with Dunadan. But 2 blows isn't much at dl 40, even with a good weapon. A mediocre ring of damage would make a good light weapon do better, not to mention archery that actually hits its targets.
When do you get Werewolf Form, CL 30? So you're just on the cusp of it right? It's true that those levels just before werewolf form are *rough*. Honestly I find just-before-but-not-quite-werewolf-form to be the hardest stage of the game for the Blackguard.

I often have to retrace a few floors in the 30's or 40's until I get it (and some stat gain potions to get my blow count up).

I find the powercurve tends to take off once I get werewolf form though.
Old April 24, 2021, 03:53   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

I died at CL 30 to failed teleport. (I had no scrolls left.) 2 more levels and I would have werewolf form, alas.
Old April 24, 2021, 21:01   #6
DavidMedley
Veteran

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
RIP, Pete. I take it you were finding the Blackguard difficult to adjust to?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2021, 22:49   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Very much so.
Old April 24, 2021, 23:24   #8
Cuboideb
Adept

Cuboideb is on a distinguished road
I have keymaps bound to maim foe (mba'), berserk and whirlwind. I cast them very often to recover some hp. The stun effect provided by maim foe is the best weapon an early bg has.
Cuboideb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021, 12:46   #9
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
I find berserk counter productive (the AC drop) unless you need to remove fear. It's low SP so restores little hps. I like to have pretty decent AC if I'm going to get amonst a group of melee foes and whirlwind.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021, 17:37   #10
archolewa
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I find berserk counter productive (the AC drop) unless you need to remove fear. It's low SP so restores little hps. I like to have pretty decent AC if I'm going to get amonst a group of melee foes and whirlwind.
Really? I find the damage and healing just arent going to be high enough to make up for all the enemies attacking you at once. Early on, I generally rely on Whirlwind Attack for the healing-while-attacking, and eventually for the extra blow, but still fight things in corridors.

At least the way I play, Whirlwind Attack is an awkward space. When its my bread and butter, Im not strong enough to take advantage of its AOE effect. By the time I am, I usually have Werewolf Form, at which point Im a Werewolf for pretty much every fight, shifting back only when I need to heal, refresh Relentless Taunt, or want to stun someone.