AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 5, 2012, 01:24   #111
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Bug report: I was playing a mage in the latest version, and although Stinking Cloud damaged everything immediately, shardstorm had a delay of 1 turn before it started affecting things. So Scorpions were staying asleep in the middle of a shardstorm for a little bit
That may be a feature - not sure

A.
Old June 5, 2012, 01:25   #112
Antoine

Thapper - excellent feedback thanks, keep it coming. Also what do you think you will need to be prepared for endgame?

A.
Old June 5, 2012, 17:57   #113
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Also what do you think you will need to be prepared for endgame?
This is my main problem at the moment, I don't know. I can't expect a better melee weapon I think (ringil) and it seems kind of silly to grind forever for an artifact shooter.

I will need more healing, for sure.

I would like to avoid doing the whole battle in melee so I want some appropriate bolts or arrows, but does "slay evil" exist, I haven't found any.

Then there's the problem with other Uniques, should I try to take out most/all of them before I go for Sauron?
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012, 01:30   #114
Antoine

Slay Evil ammo exists but it doesn't seem to be able to be generated on mithril arrows/bolts - that is a bug for me to fix I think.

A.
Old June 6, 2012, 22:30   #115
thapper
Adept

Quote:
Bug report: I was playing a mage in the latest version, and although Stinking Cloud damaged everything immediately, shardstorm had a delay of 1 turn before it started affecting things. So Scorpions were staying asleep in the middle of a shardstorm for a little bit
I tried this today but I cannot reproduce it. Things got hurt already on the first turn. Playing on windows 7.
Old June 6, 2012, 22:57   #116
thapper
Adept

My hobbit rogue died an avoidable death so I guess it is time to sum up some more of my experiences.

Consumables:
!restoration is hard to come by in the absolute beginning but after that no problem. Could be more rare.

!healing is reasonably common when you get deeper but since it is the only big heal (at least for rogues and warriors) it can also get used up pretty quickly. I spent too many of mine trying to kill the mouth of Sauron and Saruman. I know I said you could make them slightly more rare but I might have been wrong. Sooner or later you have to fight some hard battles and then you're going to burn through the stock fast.

!resistance was very rare, I saw 4 all game. I suppose this is intended. It makes double resistance something you only use if you're trying to fight Saruman, Glaurung and the like. Double resist (for the rogue) just to fight a red wyrm would be an awful waste.

!speed was not a problem for me. Rogues can detect objects and get haste self (and I found Ringil...)

_destruct, and _banish I found a handful. I'm usually not using them, just hoarding them in the home. If they are meant to be really rare, so that you only find like 2-3 all game, then they need to be tweaked. But since I couldn't recharge things until very late in the game they would not have given me unlimited supply to banish or destruct in any way.

_magi and _power I found a few. The magi I "abused" a bit in the end when I had access to a recharge just to get more mana for id.

The wands are nice in the beginning but only -TO and -STM saw some use towards the end. Sometimes I would use a -fire ball to attack something around a corner.

I used rods of recall, no other rod, but I guess the other rods are mostly for warriors to get access to some detection.

Did I forget something?
Old June 7, 2012, 00:10   #117
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
The scorpions were asleep when I cast it. I think it has to do with the speed system or something. WinXP for me. Sadly I didnt save a copy of the savefile. If it appears it was transient / you can ignore. It didn't affect gameplay much, I just thought it was odd when sleeping enemies stayed asleep 1 more turn allowing me to stack stinking cloud on top as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thapper View Post
I tried this today but I cannot reproduce it. Things got hurt already on the first turn. Playing on windows 7.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012, 00:11   #118
Antoine

that's great for consumables . I guess other chars might have different experiences. In particular you presumably didn't suffer from the lack of !Restore Life Levels, which could be a problem for other races.

meant to ask - do you think a high level rogue is too stealthy or about right?

look forward to thoughts on kit and uniques.

thanx ! a

Last edited by Antoine; June 7, 2012 at 01:40.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012, 09:30   #119
thapper
Adept

Quote:
The scorpions were asleep when I cast it. I think it has to do with the speed system or something. WinXP for me. Sadly I didnt save a copy of the savefile. If it appears it was transient / you can ignore. It didn't affect gameplay much, I just thought it was odd when sleeping enemies stayed asleep 1 more turn allowing me to stack stinking cloud on top as well.
I did not have the opportunity to try on scorpions or other fast critters, that might have been the difference...
Old June 7, 2012, 17:04   #120
thapper
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
In particular you presumably didn't suffer from the lack of !Restore Life Levels, which could be a problem for other races.

meant to ask - do you think a high level rogue is too stealthy or about right?
No I did not suffer from the absence of !restore life. You made it part of !healing in Minimal, right? That makes !healing even more valuable for non-hobbits.

A high level rogue is *very* stealthy, I like playing like that way so I don't think it is too much

But seriously, I could tiptoe around, picking up objects or one-hit killing monsters in a group without anything waking up. So perhaps it is too stealthy, and especially perhaps Minimal is too hard if you have no stealth. With the small levels you have to flee the level very often if you cannot kill everything that is around (I should write a comment about level size in the late game as well).

I'm having a CL25 elf mage character running right now with terrible stealth that flees from everything. I could dive down to ~DL20 but then all I would do is flee and I would have to rely on luck to find some good stuff on the ground in the short moments I stay on each level (a bit exaggerated, but basically that would be it). I have to stay much more shallow (~DL10) if I want to explore anything on the levels.