Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 31, 2008, 03:20   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
And while I'm at it, no regeneration either (mana or HP).
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2008, 05:10   #12
buzzkill
Prophet

[FA] Do FA monsters with resistances also have vulnerabilities.

Does a monster which is resistant to cold (such as an ice elemental?) suffer an extra vulnerability to fire based attacks (such as fire bolts). I'm guessing from my limited experience the answer is "no". This would leave me to ask why not?
Old August 8, 2008, 17:02   #13
licker
Rookie

licker is on a distinguished road
New to FA, and just dled 35a, but it seems that I cannot access certain things.

I can't get the macro screen to open for example, it just gives me the 'type ? for help'
licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2008, 17:29   #14
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, in FA you access the macro screen through the options menu, not through @.
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2008, 18:07   #15
licker
Rookie

licker is on a distinguished road
So it is, thanks!
licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008, 02:40   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Does a monster which is resistant to cold (such as an ice elemental?) suffer an extra vulnerability to fire based attacks (such as fire bolts). I'm guessing from my limited experience the answer is "no". This would leave me to ask why not?
The answer is no (as it is for most if not all *bands) - with the exception of evil things being hit harder by holy attacks like Orb of Draining. Why is I guess mostly historical - the game is just balanced that way.
Old August 13, 2008, 06:23   #17
buzzkill
Prophet

Upgrading FA 3.4 to 3.5… When switching from the old to the new, apparently just replacing the executable doesn’t work. I’d like to continue playing as seamlessly as possible, carrying forward my scores, saves, ghosts, and preferences. I copied the bone, save, and user folders which seems to be working OK. Am I missing anything?

Also, is there any device or particular attribute to prevent or minimize ‘confusion’? I recently lost my best character (so far) due to confusion. While fighting Ariel, Queen of Air I found myself confused after each and every round of attack. Although I CCW’ed to cure the confusion, like clockwork, her next attack simply confused me again. I was unable to teleport, run, or effectively fight. After about 6 rounds I was dead. (I’ll admit I was ill equipped on Narognonth 55 without any potions of healing).

And, is there any difference between confusion brought upon by attack vs. confusion from a spell or device? It seems that CON or STR should dictate your resistance to confusion from attacks, and WIS or INT from spell based confusion.

Here’s a tip for masses… Don’t screw around or half heartedly (ya know, let’s just see how this first attack goes) enter battle with any of the Elemental Masters. They are very powerful, fast, and able to deliver massive attacks. They may not have been the most powerful uniques I encountered (or destroyed), but they are the ones I feared the most.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:01   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Upgrading FA 3.4 to 3.5… When switching from the old to the new, apparently just replacing the executable doesn’t work. I’d like to continue playing as seamlessly as possible, carrying forward my scores, saves, ghosts, and preferences. I copied the bone, save, and user folders which seems to be working OK. Am I missing anything?
Also apex, which contains the scores file - but you may have got that already. You probably don't need to copy the pref folder, since any of your own .prf files will be put in the user folder.

Quote:
Also, is there any device or particular attribute to prevent or minimize ‘confusion’?
20% or more confusion resistance will stop you getting confused.

Quote:
And, is there any difference between confusion brought upon by attack vs. confusion from a spell or device?
Melee confusion (from things that 'hit to confuse') works whenever the monster hits you. Confusion by spell has to pass a saving throw, which is affected by your race, class, level and WIS.

Quote:
Here’s a tip for masses… Don’t screw around or half heartedly (ya know, let’s just see how this first attack goes) enter battle with any of the Elemental Masters. They are very powerful, fast, and able to deliver massive attacks. They may not have been the most powerful uniques I encountered (or destroyed), but they are the ones I feared the most.
Indeed. In particular, never fight Ariel without RConf - !CCW will not help because she is too fast, and will get lots of hits in between your turns.
Old August 14, 2008, 02:26   #19
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
20% or more confusion resistance will stop you getting confused.
Can you clarify. Will 20% resistance grant you immunity to ALL confusion? If so, why would I ever want or need more than 20%?
Old August 14, 2008, 04:46   #20
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize 20% was the cut-off point for keeping Mr. At from becoming confused, that's good to know. Having more that 20% would reduce damage from confusion attacks, I assume. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but then again I play hit point healthy characters. ? I would imagine 50% would be a lot of confusion resistance without any sort of data to back that up.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote