Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old August 23, 2008, 16:55   #31
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
And what is this "Black Breath" I am afflicted with and how do I get rid of it?
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2008, 17:30   #32
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
You can get it from various sources, but to break it you need to eat athelas (or maybe a !Life...?).
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 03:59   #33
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
It would be nice to be able to scroll the world (M)ap using the arrow keys, so that you can see where you're headed without viewing memap.txt. You could also view terrain type and distance, something memap.txt doesn't offer. This would be especially useful for new players (unless wandering aimlessly through the wilderness is part of the fun).

and maybe a bug... when recalling to a wilderness level on which I had previously fallen through a trap door the (M)ap incorrectly labels it as a dungeon (although no stairs exist). I've noticed this more than once.
Yeah, this map could certainly be reworked (ie made into something other than the massive hack it is now). I've noticed that dungeon thing too - there must be some portion of the record of that underworld level I'm failing to wipe.
Old August 25, 2008, 04:28   #34
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Improved pseudo-ID

I'm palying a druid, apparently a class with weak pseudo ID. INT 9, WIS 16, LEV 16 and has only pseudo-ID'd 1 item so far. The hard leather he has been wearing for 10's of 1000's of turns has still not been pseudo-ID'd. Keeping up with Staffs of Perception and Scrolls of Identify are sucking away all of my gold and my home has become a stockpile of un-ID'd weapons and armours.

Here's my proposal (actually 3 of them).

1st... an item should be pseudo-ID'd faster (much faster) when you are actually wearing it or wielding it. This is a no-brainer. Maybe even full ID with long term, extended use.

2nd... classes/races should be better able to pseudo-ID items natural to their class/race. Fighters would have a bonus pseudo-IDing swords and heavy armour, mages with robes and staff weapons, elves and rangers with bows and leathers, maybe assassins could p-ID hmmm (maybe poisons and other harmful potions and mushrooms). As for game balance, negative bonuses could be applied to items that are alien to a particular class/race.

3rd... the ability to take some time and actually (X)examine a particular item. Like tunneling, this command would auto-repeat until a result is obtained or 99 turns have passed (that is how tunneling works, isn't it?). HP/MANA would not regenerate (or at a slower rate) while examining an item. AS a result, that particular item would (most-likely) be pseudo-ID'd, "You feel the broadsword you are examining is good" or not "You are still unsure of the nature of the broadsword". As a game-balancer (as if weak or no regeneration wasn't enough) you could make the player so absorbed in his examination that he may not notice approaching creatures until they are already upon him.

As always, feedback is appreciated.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2008, 13:03   #35
Slonk
Rookie

Slonk is on a distinguished road
As for the first suggestion above, it has already been done in at least one other variant (Ey). Ey even goes so far as the full ID after extended wear.
Slonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 10:01   #36
Psi
Knight

Quote:
1st... an item should be pseudo-ID'd faster (much faster) when you are actually wearing it or wielding it. This is a no-brainer.
...and is already the case. Please note that IIRC druids have the slowest pseudo of all classes and they have weak pseudo - so {average} equipment never pseudos at all (which I hate). Also of course, {excellent} and {special} stuff also pseudos as {good}.
Old August 26, 2008, 15:58   #37
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
...and is already the case. Please note that IIRC druids have the slowest pseudo of all classes and they have weak pseudo - so {average} equipment never pseudos at all (which I hate). Also of course, {excellent} and {special} stuff also pseudos as {good}.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What does IIRC mean?
Is there any place where comprehensive information like this exists???

Well, that explains a lot, but I still think that one should be able to take the time to closely examine a particular item and possibly get a "feel" for it.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 16:05   #38
Psi
Knight

Quote:
What does IIRC mean?
If I recall correctly IIRC
Quote:
Is there any place where comprehensive information like this exists???
Yes... but unfortunately it is the source code.
Old August 26, 2008, 16:21   #39
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well, that explains a lot, but I still think that one should be able to take the time to closely examine a particular item and possibly get a "feel" for it.
I am planning to make changes to pseudo-ID in the next version (see, for example this thread in r.g.r.a), and the sort of things that are bothering you are the reason why.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:47   #40
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity, some questions regarding FA:

1) What is the difference between identify and "perilous identify"?

2) What exactly governs where the Staff of the Kelvar will illuminate? Is it a fixed radius around any "animal"-flagged creature?

3) Is there any guideline on where to farm for the advanced spellbooks? I've been hanging around 50-60 looking through vaults but have only found a ton of the Resistances and Escapes, and 1 Grimoire of Power, and I'm almost clvl 50. Itching for more spells... Do I need to go deeper?

4) What's the level limit and guardian of Tol-In-Gaurhoth? Is this info listed somewhere? I couldn't find it anywhere in-game.

Thanks!
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote