Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old May 30, 2021, 19:59   #1
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
One Deck Dungeon: Solo Boardgame Roguelike

I got tired of computers and have been allergic to them for the last while. I got a roguelike craving the other day but didn't want to sit in front of a machine to play one.

It got me wondering: Do people make solo boardgames? How about solo roguelike boardgames?

Of course, the answer is yes. I wonder if any of you have played this game called One Deck Dungeon?

It reminds me a bit of more "swingy" roguelikes like Sil (or Crawl, even), where individual encounters have a fair amount of randomness, but over time you try to make decisions in the large and the small that bend the odds in your favour. I am really enjoying it. I haven't bought the expansions yet, but I will once I've exhausted the base game.

Last edited by debo; May 30, 2021 at 20:31.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2021, 20:54   #2
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
I have this one actually To be honest, I haven't played it yet (my friends and I just buy too many games in too short succession...), but I like how streamlined yet interesting it appears to be. In particular, I like the idea that you can choose whether to convert a dead monster into XP or a weapon or a potion (if I remember correctly). I'll definitely play it with my friends after the pandemic is over.

OT: There is a similar game called Side Quest for 1-4 players, where the different rooms have different effects, and monsters come after you rather than just wait idly. Really a neat pocket-sized dungeon-crawler. Also, there was at least one 7DRL that was a PnP card game: Rogue - The Cardlike. Sadly, it's not even to be found in ArchiveRL anymore... Maybe one can recover it by asking on the Rogue Temple forum.
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2021, 14:14   #3
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I own One Deck Dungeon and Forest of Shadows, but I am terrible at playing the game.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2021, 00:19   #4
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I own One Deck Dungeon and Forest of Shadows, but I am terrible at playing the game.
I've won a few times now! The campaign mode helps a bit, and it's fun to have some character development across session.