Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2021, 05:46   #31
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,124
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I actually like the proposal the way Julian has it in the previous post. Except I don't get what "aim (nearest target)" means when "Fire default ammo at nearest target" is a separate command.
(and I might just use a keymap or something to put "fire" back at 't' because I'm so used to it.)
__________________
Will_Asher
aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2021, 11:03   #32
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pisa / DL0
Posts: 991
fph is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to give the keypad number keys a different meaning from the above-the-letters number keys? I imagine that the answer is yes for most frontends, but maybe not for all of them.

If it is possible, it would be great to keep the above-the-letter numbers free for keymaps. They are in a very comfortable position to reach and there are many of them.

As far as I understand there are some people who use the above-the-letters number keys to move on laptops because they do not want to learn the roguelike keyset; but that seems like a pain.

Then another neat little feature would be that the first time you press a number key like "1" (when the game is expecting a command), you get a prompt to record a keymap. Then you can change the keymap with ctrl-1. This would help making keymaps easier to use.
__________________
Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.
--
You read a scroll labeled 'lol gtfo' of Teleport Level.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2021, 17:04   #33
Julian
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 89
Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I actually like the proposal the way Julian has it in the previous post. Except I don't get what "aim (nearest target)" means when "Fire default ammo at nearest target" is a separate command.
(and I might just use a keymap or something to put "fire" back at 't' because I'm so used to it.)
Aim (target nearest) - target the nearest creature (could be more explicit)
Fire default ammo at target - Actually fire ammo. Also, as written, doesn’t target anything.

Mages would use the former a lot more than the latter.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2021, 17:10   #34
Julian
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 89
Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Is it possible to give the keypad number keys a different meaning from the above-the-letters number keys? I imagine that the answer is yes for most frontends, but maybe not for all of them.

If it is possible, it would be great to keep the above-the-letter numbers free for keymaps. They are in a very comfortable position to reach and there are many of them.
I think that all frontends can differentiate between the two. (Except angband.live, because it doesn’t have a frontend.)

Since my machine defaults to using all the function keys for Stuff, I’ve taken to using the number keys for things, and it works fine. (Though I don’t have a number pad.)

Quote:
As far as I understand there are some people who use the above-the-letters number keys to move on laptops because they do not want to learn the roguelike keyset; but that seems like a pain.
One of Nick’s points was to make life easier for them, since they don’t have to relearn all the other commands.

Quote:
Then another neat little feature would be that the first time you press a number key like "1" (when the game is expecting a command), you get a prompt to record a keymap. Then you can change the keymap with ctrl-1. This would help making keymaps easier to use.
Making keymaps easier to use is a whole other issue.

Last edited by Julian; August 29, 2021 at 17:35.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2021, 18:08   #35
backwardsEric
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 221
backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Is it possible to give the keypad number keys a different meaning from the above-the-letters number keys? I imagine that the answer is yes for most frontends, but maybe not for all of them.
Angband tries to distinguish them, but the implementation on different systems can be problematic. This, https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/4522 , is one example of the problems. SDL2 provides two ways for handling keystrokes, a lower-level one where the application sees the individual keystrokes (with a keycode to represent what key was pressed and indicators for which modifier keys are in effect) and a higher-level one which hands the application an encoded character after processing one or more keystrokes. The SDL2 frontend uses both because it wants to distinguish the keypad from the rest of the keyboard, but then it has to avoid the cases where a keystroke would be passed twice to the core of Angband. With what SDL2 provides, that's hard to do without making assumptions about the keyboard layout.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2021, 20:56   #36
tangar
Knight
 
tangar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 894
tangar is on a distinguished road
I suppose it will be fun to have new 'roguelike' (no numpad) keyset.. cause atm
h/j/k/l/y/u/b/n
doesn't really make sense when everybody get used to wasd movement. Roguelike (no numpad) keyset should use wasd+q(NW)+e(NE)+z(SW)+c(SE)...

I suppose it will be awesome to add 3rd keyset - so we will have two traditional ones and this, new one, for modern gamers... as a lot of people use laptops without NumPad..
__________________
https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ My chars @ angband.oook.cz
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2021, 07:33   #37
ewert
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 599
ewert is on a distinguished road
Just as a quick generic note, remember that using @a @z @u etc. let us make more quicklinks, so if wands/targetable rods are combined, we will lose some customizability.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2021, 16:59   #38
Julian
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 89
Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Just as a quick generic note, remember that using @a @z @u etc. let us make more quicklinks, so if wands/targetable rods are combined, we will lose some customizability.
I use those all the time, so I’m well aware. I don’t _think_ that there’s anyone running around with more than ten inscribed wands and rods, but people have proved me wrong before.

I also suggested splitting targeted and untalented rods into two item types, and then some of them can end up in the staff command.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2021, 17:14   #39
Sideways
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 844
Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Just as a quick generic note, remember that using @a @z @u etc. let us make more quicklinks, so if wands/targetable rods are combined, we will lose some customizability.
While I'm not really sold on combining wands with targetable rods, this potential problem could be solved completely by allowing inscribing items with non-numerical slot labels; which would be a good thing anyway.
__________________
The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
Sideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2021, 18:17   #40
Werbaer
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 172
Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I use those all the time, so I’m well aware. I don’t _think_ that there’s anyone running around with more than ten inscribed wands and rods, but people have proved me wrong before.
While i don't carry that many simultaneously, i have automatic @a# inscriptions set up for 12 different rods via pref file (Probing and Magic Mapping share the same number, and Detection is @a1@a2@a4, so it's an upgrade for several simple detect rods).
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blending and tile sets backwardsEric Development 3 January 26, 2020 22:22
Making randart sets more cohesive Derakon Development 12 December 19, 2017 09:54
Equipment sets OOD Town drunk v4 9 April 5, 2013 18:32
Differences between graphic sets Ghen Vanilla 3 August 28, 2009 05:34
Saving sets of squelched items. Zero Vanilla 6 October 3, 2008 04:44


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.