AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 1, 2018, 03:32   #131
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flauterfiddle View Post
First of all, thanks for keeping the spirit of PosCheng alive and I am loving this variant already!

One question (apologies if this has nothing to do with FrogComposband itself). My dungeon walls look "wrong" in that that they use the characters # and % rather than the usual wall characters I am used to.

Is this deliberate? I find it pretty hard to work out where my character is sometimes.

Update: I found someone had posted something similar on an earlier page in this thread. So, to be specific, I'm seeing what he saw, namely the ASCII character for walls is a solid block in poschengband, but a # sign in FrogComposband (and %).

Would compiling it myself solve the problem (and I'm unfortunately restricted to compiling on Windows at the moment).

Cheers,

Ed
That was very definitely a deliberate change, but if you prefer the old look, there's a very easy way to restore it without any need for recompiling. Edit lib/pref/font-win.prf and you'll find that it has a bunch of lines that have been commented out by adding the # character in front of them (e.g. #F:50:2/127:LIT). The first two such lines (#F:1:1/31:LIT and #F:2:1/31:LIT) were already commented out in PosChengband; all the rest were commented out by me. Simply remove the opening # signs from all the lines I commented out, and you should get your preferred wall look back.

(In case you didn't know, you can also adjust any and all visuals to your heart's content in-game by pressing %; though in this case editing font-win.prf directly is the better solution.)
Old June 1, 2018, 06:44   #132
Flauterfiddle
Rookie

Flauterfiddle is on a distinguished road
Talking *Thank you!*

Developer replies, solves the problem and also adds a bit more information about how to use the game commands...

...RESULT!

Thank you so much for this!

Tbh I could see a use for what you changed, i.e. the "raggedy" look, for a certain kinds of dungeon (maybe the Warrens, since not a "formal" dungeon?) but not permanently for everything :=)

One very happy adventurer, now back to that Spectre/Necromancer...
Flauterfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018, 15:35   #133
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
The game says that a disenchanter mold drains psychic energy from my character, which is a bug as my character has no SP, and is also a bug in the sense that with smart cheat on it shouldn't have made the attempt
The latter is not a bug since smart_cheat doesn't make monsters smarter, it just gives them full smart_learn without having to do any actual learning (the monster equivalent of easy_lore). Smart monsters will avoid draining mana when the player has none, but non-smart monsters (like disenchanter molds) will not, even if smart_cheat or smart_learn is on.

The former is more a case of a really ugly message than a bug, I will tweak it.
Old June 3, 2018, 14:30   #134
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Scrolls of destruction are used up and do nothing in quests (I assume the same is true for staffs), the same is true for scrolls of teleport level
I changed that weeks ago for the scrolls (except where they're un-IDed). Staves still lose a charge, but staves recharge. 7.0.mango will be released in a few days, so if you've never downloaded any of the github development versions you'll get the improved scroll behavior there.

Quote:
The character sheet records how many potions of cure critical wounds were found, but not how many potions of self knowledge
The character sheet doesn't record how many scrolls of the following types were found: crafting, vengeance, madness, wall of stone, scroll of spell, scroll of fire, scroll of ice, scroll of mana
Should the character sheet count things such as scrolls of identify
Adding ?spell (for ?spell-users only) and ?crafting to the list. Considered adding self knowledge, but it feels redundant with !newlife; after all, that's the potion that actually does things.

Listing ?madness feels like something that would only encourage people to read ?madness...
Old June 3, 2018, 22:46   #135
grodrigues
Rookie

grodrigues is on a distinguished road
Question on quests

Hi all,

Been trying this variant since development of Poschengband seems to have stopped; just a small question. Whatever happened to the unique killing quests in Angband? Went down to level 6 or 7 and none was generated. What has changed? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grodrigues; June 3, 2018 at 22:46. Reason: Missed a ?
grodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018, 22:58   #136
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodrigues View Post
Hi all,

Been trying this variant since development of Poschengband seems to have stopped; just a small question. Whatever happened to the unique killing quests in Angband? Went down to level 6 or 7 and none was generated. What has changed? Thanks in advance.
The random Angband quests work the same way they did in PosChengband: there are ten of them, on random levels, and the first of them is somewhere around level 10; you just haven't gone deep enough yet. It is possible (because of the randomness) for the first quest to be on level 7, but usually it's a bit later.
Old June 4, 2018, 15:11   #137
grodrigues
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
The random Angband quests work the same way they did in PosChengband: there are ten of them, on random levels, and the first of them is somewhere around level 10; you just haven't gone deep enough yet. It is possible (because of the randomness) for the first quest to be on level 7, but usually it's a bit later.
Thanks. Last time I played Poscheng, Angband quests were at fixed levels starting at level 6 thus my question.

Lots of small differences: more towns, dungeons and quests, fuzzy tele, different stacking sources for see invis and free action (and probably a few more I have not noticed), Es adds a constant damage factor to damaging spells (great for the High-Elf patient Sorceror I keep playing), getting my thin-paper-frail Sorc one-shotted in *Zul* by an ancient MH dragon -- ancient dragons roaming a town? What the heck? Etc. and etc.

Like it.

Last edited by grodrigues; June 4, 2018 at 15:13. Reason: Forgot the all-important last sentence.
Old June 4, 2018, 20:24   #138
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gloves can now have slays on them, I assume Maulers are the greatest beneficiaries of this
I would imagine Martial Artists would find them useful as well, but haven't done more than dabble with them in Frog yet.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018, 00:16   #139
grodrigues
Rookie

advice

Posted my Sorc here: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21697. As you can see, the drops have been completely schizophrenic. I do not have the basic resists covered, but Smeagol did me a solid one, and just dropped Eriril (which for a Sorc is useless and the One Ring (!!!) at dl level 23 (!!!!!). This raises the question: to wear it or not to wear it? Maybe save for reforge? This is the second time I got it in a *band (the other was in vanilla Angband and already having dispatched Morgoth), and I did not even blinked about wearing it. Any advice? That ancient foul curse sure looks really ugly. Of course this is all kind of moot since the RNG God has already determined my horrible, agonizing death.
Old June 5, 2018, 00:27   #140
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
IMO if you find the One Ring, you should wear it, regardless of how much sense it makes for your character. Such opportunities are rare and always memorable.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband