Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 27, 2018, 01:08   #111
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Gloves of the wizard aren't always bad, or always worth 1 AU. Often they are, but you can get lucky, and the +Md makes them a potential contender not just for mages but any class looking for better device reliability. Not that long ago there were two characters on angband.live (Gwarl's and bostock's, I think) simultaneously or near-simultaneously wearing gloves of the wizard.
Old July 27, 2018, 22:54   #112
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
wizard gloves can be crazy good for a weaponsmith. A golem will device just fine with them & if they have a large pval, then +stealth or +LR or just straight (+,+)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 23:45   #113
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
wizard gloves can be crazy good for a weaponsmith. A golem will device just fine with them & if they have a large pval, then +stealth or +LR or just straight (+,+)
Just never seen good ones that I can recall. All the ones I can remember were as useful as the 'Kick Me' sign on someones back. LOL
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 01:35   #114
budswell
Apprentice

budswell is on a distinguished road
First time trying this Variant. One thing different from Pos. Walls are now # characters, but in Pos they were solid "blocks".
Or is it because I have recently changed to Win10?
In Tome2 there was some font file you could edit, anyone know how to do it here?
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 01:43   #115
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by budswell View Post
First time trying this Variant. One thing different from Pos. Walls are now # characters, but in Pos they were solid "blocks".
Or is it because I have recently changed to Win10?
In Tome2 there was some font file you could edit, anyone know how to do it here?
This has come up before. Walls have always been #, but the Windows version of Pos used a preference file (font-win.prf) to override the default visuals. Follow the instructions in this post if you want the Pos look back, or if you want to interact with visuals in some other way.
Old July 28, 2018, 18:24   #116
Rudiment
Rookie

Rudiment is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Fell Sorcery works on mindcraft spells, but it's not a huge effect (+1 spellpower if you're playing the last official release; +2 spellpower in the dev version). It also reduces your STR, DEX and CON by 1.

(One unit of spellpower is equal to 1/13 of the spell's base power/damage.)
Well, you are late, i taked this not just useless crap, but very ill one. Why in manual says nothing about drawbacks? It is very unfair to the player. Are exist more talents with hidden drawbacks?
Rudiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 20:06   #117
Sideways
Swordsman

I have inherited from previous variants a vast and sprawling codebase (and help file system) with many good things, but also so much room for improvement that doing everything I want to do, and everything other people want me to do, takes a long time and much effort. For every bug or shortcoming I fix, somebody reports a new one. That's incredibly valuable feedback, of course, but it also means my to-do list never gets any shorter. I'm constantly working to make the game better, but it is not and will never be perfect.

The intended target audience of Fell Sorcery is characters who rely on spells for damage and therefore don't melee much (and therefore aren't hurt by a slight hit to their melee stats as much as a melee character would). You are still right, of course, that it and other demigod powers should be better documented (and you are also right that as of the last official release it was basically crap). The manual does suggest Fleet of Foot and Unyielding as safe vanilla choices for new players who aren't sure which demigod power to pick.
Old July 28, 2018, 23:24   #118
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiment View Post
Well, you are late, i taked this not just useless crap, but very ill one. Why in manual says nothing about drawbacks? It is very unfair to the player. Are exist more talents with hidden drawbacks?
Sideways is doing a large job for you free of charge. Being rude about it is not likely to get you what you want.
Old July 29, 2018, 01:03   #119
Sideways
Swordsman

Thanks Nick.

Rudiment (and everybody else) will in fact get improved demigod power descriptions in 7.0.nougat, though. I hope that's what he wants, but if not, they will still help others.
Old July 30, 2018, 05:41   #120
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
So... I was feeling pretty confident. Tonberry Ninja, dual wielding 'Nimthanc' and a Tanto (Craft) (+6,+6) with AC 96 at CL19. (I needed every bit of it)
Went into the 'Clear the Tunnels' a little early, and it was pretty easy, then I opened the doors into HELL, not one or two uniques together, no, there were 5, Lug, Lugdush, Shagrat, Boldog, and Orcogar... Then the usual accompaniments of Captains and Warlords Summoning Kin with Warlocks confusing me. Burned through a ton of potions and scrolls, as it took ages to get them all... went from 19 to almost CL 22 in there. Whew...
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband