Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old December 2, 2014, 23:52   #1
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
YASD - Morgoth reaches out into our world...

So Slapper VI, like his ancestors before him, took the oath to harm nothing with anything other than his fists. He ground down to dlvl99 and on the 26th October, he challenged Sauron to a bout of fisticuffs...

During the VERY long and VERY tedious boxing match, Sauron repeatedly summoned all the uniques Slapper hadn't been able to handle and kept on teleporting around the level. But, eventually, he delivered the killing blow to Sauron's temple with the back of his hand. He'd used 10 of his 23 potions of *Healing*, and he also had 6 potions of Life safely tucked away at home, so he was more or less on target for the final bit of slap and tickle with the Purple P.

So far so good...

At this point I had a choice to make. I was fairly low on Hit points (126HP) and didn't want to waste any healing potions. I was surrounded by (relatively) minor summons so couldn't easily recall. Teleporting was out of the question as there were about 20+ uniques wondering around the level. But I was standing on top of a certain magical staircase...

I'll just pop down, see if there was any equipment very close to grab (better boots of speed would be handy), and then come up again, zap the rod of recall. rest and go home to prepare.

At this point a minor occurrence occurred that would have catastrophic consequences for poor Slapper VI. My two-year old fell out of bed.

After putting her back, unharmed, to bed, I came downstairs, in both planes of existence - Angband and RL. There was an enticing pair of boots just sitting there, two squares away from the stairs...and a Gelugon. Well, it's only a Gelugon - I had forgotten that I wasn't on full health (or anything near).

At this point I like to think that the Gelugon was a little surprised to see this bloodied mess of a Half-troll dragging his ruined body towards him with malice aforethought, armed with nothing but a slightly mad glint in his eye. I like to think that he cocked a supercilious eyebrow before drawing in a huge breath and obliterating me.

So there you have it - my stupidest YASD yet. But maybe it was Morgoth himself who, having seen his most faithful servant fall to my fists, reached out into our world and flung my little daughter from her bed?

I must admit, when I saw those dreaded six little letters, with the space halfway between, I might have lost it a little bit. I slammed the laptop lid down so hard that the battery fell out of the back. Thence followed the longest, and stroppiest, period of rage quit in my Angband career. Until today I couldn't bring myself to load him back up and suicide him, or mark him as dead on the ladder. I didn't even log into the forum for all this time. One thing I did find during this period in the wilderness is that I discovered something called 'Free Time'.

I didn't like it much, so I'm back - Slapper VI is dead, long live Slapper VII!

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16732

[EDIT] I should add, for the sake of Slapper's 'dignity', that it had been such a long break that I'd completely forgotten that Slapper is actually a girl!

Last edited by MattB; December 3, 2014 at 00:02.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014, 02:22   #2
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I'm not a good parent like you. Things like this have happened to me in the past and I always save+quit before I figure out why my child is screaming in pain. Props to you! I have a 2 and a 6 year old myself. With wood floors. Hahahaha. I'm sorry to hear about your loss... I'm amazed!
Old December 5, 2014, 20:39   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Ow ow ow - and not for your daughter (who I'm very glad was unharmed). Total sympathy from a fellow rage sufferer.
Old December 5, 2014, 21:52   #4
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Hey, pls no rage~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ !lol
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2014, 16:24   #5
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
I'd already been quite entertained by your shovel-wielding characters, but this goal is too much -- very impressive.

As a tactical question, I'm very curious how you ended up killing Sauron with hp in the low 100's. Aren't his mana bolt, darkness storms, nether balls etc capable of a few hundred hp damage a pop even with nether/dark resistance? Weren't you at a huge risk of dying if he cast such? Just wondering.

And the hilarious but tragic (hilagic?) Gelugon encounter makes me wish for apropos taunt messages from certain powerful monsters. I think a Gelugon really should be able to cock a supercilious eyebrow at you!
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2014, 21:27   #6
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, does the oath extend to not using any magical attacks such as wands, staves, rods, magic bolts from gloves, breath from armor or potions?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2014, 23:22   #7
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
I'm not a good parent like you. Things like this have happened to me in the past and I always save+quit before I figure out why my child is screaming in pain. Props to you! I have a 2 and a 6 year old myself. With wood floors. Hahahaha. I'm sorry to hear about your loss... I'm amazed!
Thanks HM - save+quit lesson duly learned!
As someone else once posted on one of your dumps, you're my hero!
As for monsterblind - that's just nuts!
Old December 7, 2014, 23:25   #8
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Ow ow ow - and not for your daughter (who I'm very glad was unharmed). Total sympathy from a fellow rage sufferer.
She was fine! Made me think though - how many of my characters die due to factors outside of Middle Earth (hardware/tiredness/distraction/insobriety)?
Old December 7, 2014, 23:25   #9
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Hey, pls no rage~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ !lol
Eek!

~~~
Old December 7, 2014, 23:31   #10
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tom View Post
I'd already been quite entertained by your shovel-wielding characters, but this goal is too much -- very impressive.
In order to avert the tediousness, I'm also running a dynasty called 'Streaker' who is stark naked - so nothing in the g,h,i,j,k,l slots. That is much, much harder. But I reckon it's still possible if I, or anyone else, throw enough monkeys at enough typewriters...

Quote:
As a tactical question, I'm very curious how you ended up killing Sauron with hp in the low 100's. Aren't his mana bolt, darkness storms, nether balls etc capable of a few hundred hp damage a pop even with nether/dark resistance? Weren't you at a huge risk of dying if he cast such? Just wondering.
No, no - I had bucket loads of max HP. I was just down to low hp after taking out Sauron and clearing up all the summons. When I met the Gelugon I just idiotically forgot that important little detail, otherwise I would have scooted straight back up the stairs and recalled (I was trying to save much-needed healing potions).