Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 21, 2009, 21:22   #1
ehertlein
Scout

ehertlein is on a distinguished road
Looking for Advice

Is this the right place to post a link to a dump? I really could use some advice. This character actually has some promise I think. I started the High Elf rogue after reading some posts about them being decent finishing characters. I have never won a game.

I just arrived at dungeon level 30 and thought I would skulk around looking for stat potions.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9123
ehertlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009, 21:52   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
You need Free Action! (or telepathy). I never scum for stats (and never win), but that's just me.
Old July 21, 2009, 22:05   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
You need Free Action! (or telepathy). I never scum for stats (and never win), but that's just me.
IMO FA is not as important as people say it is - at least until you're deep enough to be at serious risk of double moves. There aren't many paralysers, and it's easy enough to learn/remember them and keep away from them until you find it. FA is sufficiently common that there is no point waiting for it - just keep going and it will turn up sooner or later.

I have only ever lost one character to paralysis (not counting accidents with floating eyes) - from reading an unID'd scroll of Summon Undead. So don't read unID'd scrolls after 400' or so until you have FA - but otherwise you should be fine.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009, 22:06   #4
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
What he said. [Edit]That goes for both of the above. You need FA, but with everything in the game, there is no point hanging around for it.[/Edit]

Plus _Teleport (while you don't have rConf), ?TeleportLevel and ?Phase Door.

Also ditch all the non-ego weapons and armour you are carrying. Though if you are stockpiling !ResCharisma at home, I guess you are quite keen on making every last gold piece you can...
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 09:14   #5
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Level 30 is pretty dangerous without free action though. At least if you are not aware of all monsters that can paralyze.

I lost several charcters at level 15 to a homunculus because I forgot that a paralyzing monster could show up so early.

Visit the BM and the weapon and armory shops and the temple every time you are in town. Sometimes a weapon or armor with free action or a ring will show up.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 09:45   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Level 30 is pretty dangerous without free action though.
No, really, it isn't. Not in the grand scheme of things.
Quote:
At least if you are not aware of all monsters that can paralyze.

I lost several charcters at level 15 to a homunculus because I forgot that a paralyzing monster could show up so early.
The homunculus is one of the very first paralysers you'll meet. There are only a handful of others by level 30.
Quote:
Visit the BM and the weapon and armory shops and the temple every time you are in town. Sometimes a weapon or armor with free action or a ring will show up.
Much as I loathe the "game of shopping" aspect, this is actually good advice. FA is often available from shops, and is cheap, and makes a big difference to how you can play, so it's worth shopping for.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 14:17   #7
ehertlein
Scout

Wonderful. I will keep my eye out. I hit the town fairly often right now so hopefully I'll see something soon. I have actually fought quite a few homunculus and I had no idea they could paralyze.
Old July 22, 2009, 18:36   #8
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I tend to play Floating Eye Roulette when I play new characters. "Do I really need to throw spikes at that Floating Eye, or can I walk up and bash it and hope it doesn't paralyze me?"

It's pretty fun. I win the vast majority of them. I think the RNG can somehow detect if I am aware of the Eye; if I'm not then it always paralyzes me, and if I am then it doesn't.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 21:25   #9
ehertlein
Scout

What is the benefit of the Staff of Teleportation over a Scroll of Teleportation. I seem to have a lot of bad luck with staves burning up.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:14   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehertlein View Post
What is the benefit of the Staff of Teleportation over a Scroll of Teleportation. I seem to have a lot of bad luck with staves burning up.
They (may) work when you are confused or blind.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote