AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 18, 2016, 01:51   #11
t4nk
Swordsman

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Right and that's "metrics". Any type of single-number "score" in Angband is completely meaningless.
It's not meaningless if it measures something. Maybe it doesn't measure the things that you're interested in, but it doesn't mean it's meaningless.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016, 02:02   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
I think a lot more people (mostly non players) complain about Angband promoting grinding.
A lot of people complain about Angband promoting grinding because they played it 15 years ago and that was their impression then and they want a reason to ignore it in favour of other games (or, you know, life).

I don't know what to think about scores at this point, but I am increasingly wary of people who say "The thing wrong with Angband is ..." where the ... is usually approximately "It isn't Brogue" (or other roguelike du jour).
Old September 18, 2016, 02:04   #13
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
A lot of people complain about Angband promoting grinding because they played it 15 years ago and that was their impression then and they want a reason to ignore it in favour of other games (or, you know, life).

I don't know what to think about scores at this point, but I am increasingly wary of people who say "The thing wrong with Angband is ..." where the ... is usually approximately "It isn't Brogue" (or other roguelike du jour).
Get off my lawn!
Old September 18, 2016, 02:29   #14
t4nk
Swordsman

Quote:
Hm, I actually think the main reason is the lack of information about monsters... but that's a different topic.

Quote:
Brogue is the proof that graphics is the most important thing in a game (as if the world needed any proof of that).
Old September 18, 2016, 02:47   #15
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Brogue is the proof that graphics is the most important thing in a game (as if the world needed any proof of that).
Lucky you're working on them then
Old September 18, 2016, 03:55   #16
t4nk
Swordsman

Quote:
Lucky you're working on them then
I'm mostly doing things with the ui; better graphics means tiles, and I don't like any of Angband's tilesets. And I'm not going to draw any... As for fancier text mode, there are concerns like "the main problem is figuring out how to use color meaningfully without penalizing the player for not noticing subtle color differences". Brogue solves this issue by using color meaninglessly while penalizing the player for not noticing subtle differences (really, that's exactly what it does). I assume Angband's old timers won't allow that (oh, I just remembered that grey mushroom patches exist. Maybe there is still hope? )
As for score calculations; looking at the ladder, the high scores are from the versions 2.8.3, 3.0.1, 3.0.5, 2.8.2... looks like currently Angband's players don't care about high scores. Why not change it to something that would be more interesting to at least some of them? And what can that be, other than the fact of winning the game, and turncount? So I think that those should be the two main, or only, variables in the score formula.

Last edited by t4nk; September 18, 2016 at 04:05.
Old September 18, 2016, 14:21   #17
xorzac
Adept

xorzac is on a distinguished road
I would go with something along these lines:

( ( (Max depth * max depth * max depth) / (clvl * clvl) ) * 5) - ( (turns / 1000) ) + ( ( depth of lowest unique * 5) )

+ 50% ironman
+ 33% only sauron
+ 100% morgoth

these numbers should be tweaked but it rewards speed and difficulty.

Race and class modifiers could be thrown in too - ex. minus (class or race exp penalty / 5)%
xorzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016, 18:05   #18
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
How about an achievement-based points system, where you get awarded a bonus to your score each time your character breaks a "personal record" like:

- max depth reached
- max character level attained
- number of items and runes identified
- number of uniques killed
- number of artefacts found
- max damage done with a single blow/spell
- max EXP gain for killing a single monster
- highest value or rarest item found
- greatest difference between character level and dungeon depth

etc.

That way score doesn't climb infinitely from grinding repeated actions, but only rewards the player each time they achieve something new/better than they've done before. Plus it would be easy to show the player a scoresheet of all these tracked statistics to give them some feel for what they're getting the points for.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016, 18:37   #19
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How about an achievement-based points system, where you get awarded a bonus to your score each time your character breaks a "personal record" like:
[...]
I like it, but it is quite similar to the "track some stats" thing. (That's a great start for a list of stats worth tracking, though!)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2016, 17:00   #20
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Quote:
Wouldn't a simple solution be to reward winners who do so quickly, so you'd be encouraged not only to play well, but also win quickly? Don't modify scores for players who don't win, though; playing longer if you don't win is a *good* thing because you're surviving longer and doing well! Hoplite does this by giving some sort of score multiplier (not sure how it's computed) based on how quickly you win.
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote