Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 27, 2020, 19:54   #91
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Any reason why electric arc doesn't work like an ordinary beam spell? Destroying rods and wands on the floor can be pretty crippling when taking down a bunch of trolls. Currently there is no true beam spell in the town books.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2020, 21:15   #92
eastwind
Apprentice

eastwind is on a distinguished road
Late to the party on glow suggestions...

What about 'a glow surrounds you'? Or is that effect already in use for something else like blessings?? (that might be why I thought of it, because I'd seen it, lol).

Always wondered how you could tell your hands were gloing inside your elbow-length metal gaunlets....
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2020, 18:07   #93
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
In the latest nightly: c38a249c4

Missing the (Y or N) choice prompt when creating a character in rebirth screen. Yeah, I know to press Y or N, but didn't it used to say that?

Missing the level feeling indicator on the status line. The level feeling indicator for Monster/Treasure by the numbers, e.g., 8-5, is gone. EDIT: Nevermind on this one. The problem was the new build changes the window sizing and the status line is "below the fold".
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; January 30, 2020 at 18:28.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2020, 08:32   #94
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Took a look at new stair placement. I'm not convinced this does what you think it does. At least 3 adjacent walls discounting diagonals. That's corridor ends, 1 square rooms & pillar rooms.

I have an alternative proposal. If you want stairs next to a wall, ram them into a wall.

Find square
Look for adjacent wall (not a diagonal)
Check there isn't space on other side of wall
Check not within x distance of stairs
Place on wall
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2020, 09:57   #95
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Took a look at new stair placement. I'm not convinced this does what you think it does. At least 3 adjacent walls discounting diagonals. That's corridor ends, 1 square rooms & pillar rooms.

I have an alternative proposal. If you want stairs next to a wall, ram them into a wall.

Find square
Look for adjacent wall (not a diagonal)
Check there isn't space on other side of wall
Check not within x distance of stairs
Place on wall
That sounds like it would work well. I'd be happy if this was implemented. Down stairs at least should be easy to find to encourage diving; currently they can be a chore to find
Old February 6, 2020, 04:35   #96
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
I still think the answer is to remove all restrictions on stair generation--let the stairs go to every tile within the connected dungeon area with equal probability.

The restrictions on stair generation were originally added as a hacky way to ensure that characters would enter a dungeon in a safe position. This was always a poor solution. The correct solution is to have player placement be entirely independent from stair generation.

Level generation would proceed as follows:
1. Generate the dungeon map.
2. Place stairs on the dungeon map at completely random positions.
3. Place the player at a "safe" entry location.
4. If connected stairs is enabled and the player entered the level via stairs, generate an additional stair of the appropriate type at the player position.

I'd build a solution myself and send a commit, except that I don't have enough C coding experience to pull it off without f***ing up.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2020, 10:36   #97
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
I still think the answer is to remove all restrictions on stair generation--let the stairs go to every tile within the connected dungeon area with equal probability.

The restrictions on stair generation were originally added as a hacky way to ensure that characters would enter a dungeon in a safe position. This was always a poor solution. The correct solution is to have player placement be entirely independent from stair generation.

Level generation would proceed as follows:
1. Generate the dungeon map.
2. Place stairs on the dungeon map at completely random positions.
3. Place the player at a "safe" entry location.
4. If connected stairs is enabled and the player entered the level via stairs, generate an additional stair of the appropriate type at the player position.

I'd build a solution myself and send a commit, except that I don't have enough C coding experience to pull it off without f***ing up.
This would work as well, it's only the 'arriving' stair that was ever the problem, which can be dealt with separately anyway. What I like about placing the stairs next to a wall is that it's slightly easier to find them in dark rooms. And to encourage diving we should make them as easy to find as possible
Old February 9, 2020, 05:26   #98
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
New builds are up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source is here) with the following changes:
  • Light radius 1 monsters are now illuminated correctly (thanks Powerwyrm)
  • Morgoth now destroys more walls - noticeable change meant to be in 4.2.0 (Powerwyrm again)
  • Code improvements - remove a bunch of possible null pointer dereferences
  • Several more macOS improvements from backwardsEric
Old February 13, 2020, 17:07   #99
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Nightcrawlers, "serpent of chaoses" (sic) and gorgons in "snake" pits feel out of place...
Old February 14, 2020, 16:40   #100
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Commit d10401c reduced the number of books and reverted colors, but also reverted the cool feature that was the reduction of "unwanted" books for casters. Would be nice to have that back so your mage doesn't find countless priest/nature/shadow books.