AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 8, 2018, 15:20   #121
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
- Electric Arc doesn't tell how much damage it does or its range
- Acid Spray doesn't tell how much damage it does
- Tap Magical Energy doesn't restore mana (should probably tell how much mana per charge it restores)
- I may be wrong, but I don't think Mana Channel works as intended (using a bow of ES+1 you can shoot 2 arrows at +0 speed against a +0 speed monster before it acts, but clearly it can act every turn when you cast a spell while FastCast is on)
- Thrust Away doesn't tell how much damage it does

EDIT: my bad... Tap Magical Energy does restore mana, but you need a certain amount of charges to get mana from it (I tried with a staff of summoning with 2 charges and it didn't restore anything, but with a staff of detect invisible with 21 charges it restored roughly 7 mana, so I guess it's number of charges / 3 mana points)
Old January 8, 2018, 16:31   #122
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would assume that the mana restored depends somehow on the level of the item being tapped.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018, 16:34   #123
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
I disagree to your analysis PowerWyrm.

How is the damage calculation done for each class? "Benchmark" is the warrior class in my eyes with 6 attackes per turn and an estimated damage of 100 per hit making it 600 damage per attack sequence (but which can be exceptional higher with a mace of disruption).

I would define the goal that all classes should deliver around the same maximum damage versus Morgoth, because i cannot see why different classes should deliver different damage in the end fight.

So that makes it:
Mana Storm 500-600 total damage
Greater Mana Bolt 200-250 damage
Mana Bolt 100-120 damage
Fire Bolt 60-70 damage
Frost Bolt 30-40 damage
Magic Missle 10-20 damage

Something like that would be an exponential damage increase, always around x2 better damage.

Edit: I agree that a CL 50 mage with MaxInt should have 0% fail for ManaStorm too! Everything else sucks from player point of view (and would be nothing else than an average damage reduction).
The benchmark should be some form of ranged combat. A warrior pays for significantly higher damage with not being able to apply it as consistently (out of melee range) and taking melee hits in retaliation (without even the benefit of a heal spell). I don't know what the benchmark should be, but as a general rule I would suggest that mages should easily outdamage priests at range, should outdamage devices as used by any class except a mage, and should do somewhat less average damage than the top archery class (or classes, potentially), since magic is more reliable (and technically, regenerates, unlike ammo), For the future, I would imagine a mage would do less damage with spells than a necromancer (who would be sacrificing the control the mage spell set gives you), but more than a druid (maybe the druid could have damage over time effects to make them worthwhile?).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018, 16:53   #124
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]New spell in 3rd book, Tap Magical Energy, turns staff and wand charged into mana[*]Detection spell in 4th book[*]Mana Bolt made like PowerWyrm's Lesser Mana Bolt[*]Thrust Away made like PW's Greater Mana Bolt[*]Mana Storm fail rate adjusted[*]New spell in 5th book, Mana Channel, makes spellcasting temporarily twice as fast (like extra shots are done, substitute for haste)[*]Dungeon books start dropping at 30, 40, 60 instead of 30, 50, 70
Cool stuff ... and a very good idea with Mana Channel. I will testplay that later on!

Just that DL 60 as drop start for the last book seems slightly early to me.

The 'old' mage had a 4th meteor as class special. Does the new mage has any class special that will kick in CL dependant (somewhere between 20 and 40)?

Last edited by Tibarius; January 8, 2018 at 17:06.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018, 16:55   #125
Derakon
Prophet

Do also remember that warriors manage maybe an 80% hit rate, and getting to nominal 600 damage/round is the exception, not the norm. I would accept 80% of 500 (that is, 400) damage/round as being a target for damage for characters standing in melee range, and for characters attacking from range to achieve 50-70% of that number (200-280), if they're using "pure" damage that they can sustain basically indefinitely. Expensive and/or gear-dependent abilities would hit harder of course, and for at least some class Morgoth ought to be a victory lap because the real hard part was surviving until the final fight.
Old January 8, 2018, 17:03   #126
Tibarius
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The benchmark should be some form of ranged combat. A warrior pays for significantly higher damage with not being able to apply it as consistently (out of melee range) and taking melee hits in retaliation (without even the benefit of a heal spell). I don't know what the benchmark should be, but as a general rule I would suggest that mages should easily outdamage priests at range, should outdamage devices as used by any class except a mage, and should do somewhat less average damage than the top archery class (or classes, potentially), since magic is more reliable (and technically, regenerates, unlike ammo), For the future, I would imagine a mage would do less damage with spells than a necromancer (who would be sacrificing the control the mage spell set gives you), but more than a druid (maybe the druid could have damage over time effects to make them worthwhile?).
But haven't warriors about 3x as much max HPs as mages have? I thought that compensates for the drawback to have melee attacks only. So that they can (and must) soak up more damage taken before they can start delivering their own.
Old January 8, 2018, 21:34   #127
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Priests should probably do like 200-300 damage in melee, on account of how they have cheap 0% fail healing. In general though, that benchmark ought to hold up quite well, I feel.

Warriors have maybe 1.5x as much HP as mages. Even accounting for how much easier it is for warriors to have max CON, the effects of CON don't care how much HP or hit dice you have, they just give you +hp/level.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018, 17:00   #128
Tibarius
Swordsman

new mage testplay

Hmm, i don't get realy in touch with the new mage. That is not realy a lack of power. But i am so used to the playstyle with light, stone to mud and haste that i always feel there is something missing.
Old January 9, 2018, 18:52   #129
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
Mages have between 900 and 1000 hp. Warriors have 1050 to 1150.
Old January 9, 2018, 19:31   #130
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Hmm, i don't get realy in touch with the new mage. That is not realy a lack of power. But i am so used to the playstyle with light, stone to mud and haste that i always feel there is something missing.
That seems to be Nick's goal. To make each magical realm more distinct, they need to have things they can't do. Hopefully each pure caster ends up feeling like they're really good at some things, can do other things decently, and have to rely on devices or do without for everything else.