Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 10, 2018, 16:05   #141
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
create door

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Wow I use it a lot less often than that. I think I use it less than the detection spells, phase door, and probably even create doors. I'm no pro though, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Heh ... in what situations do you cast create doors? Basically that is one of the spells i never use.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 16:07   #142
Tibarius
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.
Just cool
Old January 10, 2018, 16:29   #143
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Heh ... in what situations do you cast create doors? Basically that is one of the spells i never use.
Although I don't use create doors all that often, there are many who use it quite regularly. Useful for: upon level arrival - giving a little extra time to examine the situation; to cut-off line-of-sight; and as a bunker from which to fire-off ranged attacks and spells.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 16:35   #144
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
I wish there was a "create rock" spell, but it would probaby be overpowered...
Old January 10, 2018, 16:56   #145
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I wish there was a "create rock" spell, but it would probaby be overpowered...
Speaking from experience in variants that had such spells, yes, it would be. Being able to create rock allows you to selectively entomb monsters, which makes it much easier to isolate them and either ignore them or deal with them one-on-one. It's also an easy and very safe escape: you just need to create a single tile of distance between you and the monster, and you can create a wall that they can't get around, giving you plenty of time to rest, drink potions, etc. Then as soon as you're ready, you drop the wall (possibly from a distance with Stone to Mud) and the monster's there to continue the fight.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 19:43   #146
Tibarius
Swordsman

rune of protection

Don't we have already an almost similar spell with rune of protection? I wouldn't say that this spell is overpowered, because of tremendous mana costs.

It is not permanent, because it can be broken, it is almost like a temporary rock, no?
Old January 10, 2018, 19:57   #147
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The differences between Rune and a wall are:

* Rune is temporary -- very temporary against most enemies you'd care to use it on.
* Rune can only be placed underfoot.
* Rune does not block spells or LOS.
* Rune does not affect monster pathing (whereas monsters will attempt to path around walls)

A spell that made a single "opaque" (blocks spells) rune, which could still be broken by monsters, in an adjacent unoccupied tile might be interesting. I don't have a feel for how it would compare to Create Doors (which covers all LOS but is extremely temporary) and the existing rune spell, but I suspect it would still be overpowered.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 20:02   #148
Tibarius
Swordsman

playstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That's a good point. Currently two-thirds of the spells in the new mage dungeon books are not available anywhere else.
I disagree here. Orb of draining is a unique attack spell - true. But it's effect is basically the same like the mages attacks spells, just better for evil targets. Casting Orb of Draining in a row to kill a monster is basically the same as casting acid bolt a couple of times.

Another point that needs considering ... collecting potions of stat raise is basically the same as grinding XP around DL 40 until you have the relevant stats maxed out. I think it would be much better to remove stat raise potions
so that the initial point distribution has a much higher impact. It is better to increase the stat boni (and their maximums) on items instead.
Old January 10, 2018, 20:04   #149
Tibarius
Swordsman

rogue class ?

Someone said that the 'natural' hybrid class of a necromant would be a dark (or death) knight (or antipaladin). After thinking about it, i consider that basically right.

But what about the rogue class then? Is that a unique class like warrior then?

Hmm, and what will the difference in playing style be between a rogue and a death knight?

The more i think about those questions the more i think we should not add new classes ... but look out to update the magic system so that the player somehow can choose spells from certain realms or has advantages and drawbacks dependant on his favorite magic realm.

Last edited by Tibarius; January 10, 2018 at 20:53.
Old January 10, 2018, 20:29   #150
Tibarius
Swordsman

5 books only

I thought a lot about the level and spell distribution of the new mage. I cannot see a smooth exponential power curve - neither in spells nor in books.

I think that is a very important topic Nick, would you please be so kind to post a short summary about what your plans are here? I mean 2 books in shop and 3 in the dungeon ... (besides the fact that i don't like it) how does that fit to the exponential character attack power development?