AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 4, 2019, 15:45   #81
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
powerwyrm-
those declrations are all thru the code, not just in sdl2. And the standard is 20 years old, back to C99.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019, 15:55   #82
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
Ah, it's BCC, not MSVC. That is ancient!
Old July 4, 2019, 22:22   #83
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Trying to port the SDL2 frontend to PWMAngband at this time.
Any improvements you make to this frontend gratefully received
Old July 5, 2019, 02:47   #84
Pete Mack
Prophet

Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick--
I am not convinced that going back to archaic C is an improvement. Variable declarations as needed is a whole lot easier to read.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019, 08:21   #85
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick--
I am not convinced that going back to archaic C is an improvement. Variable declarations as needed is a whole lot easier to read.
Not really. I'm used to declare my variables at the beginning of functions even when using C++ or Java and I find the code much easier to read that way. But of course I'm an old developer... In my time, RAD environments didn't even exist, you had to code everything. Heck, at my time we were coding using Pascal...
Old July 5, 2019, 15:00   #86
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Not really. I'm used to declare my variables at the beginning of functions even when using C++ or Java and I find the code much easier to read that way. But of course I'm an old developer... In my time, RAD environments didn't even exist, you had to code everything. Heck, at my time we were coding using Pascal...
There's a lot of reasons why on-the-fly declarations is the standard these days. The biggest one IMO is that it allows you to scope a variable to just the block of code it is used in. For example, in many languages this:
Code:
for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {
}
means that the `i` variable does not exist outside of that for loop. This is a great way to avoid accidentally using your loop iterator in the wrong context. And if you do need it outside of that context, then it's trivial to explicitly declare it, which is then a signal to the reader that "hey, this loop variable will probably be needed later."
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019, 18:06   #87
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
I guess these days it matters less to me because I tend to write shorter functions than I used to, but in the past I found that putting definitions not at the top of functions was useful for figuring out what was used when. I think Angband is particularly bad in some of its older code for this. You have a 3 page long function with variable names like 'seen' and 'flag' which are defined at the top of a function and used twice somewhere in the middle. It's really difficult to understand what is going on.

Arguably the problem here is that the function is too long and the variables are named badly, rather than that they're not defined as used. But I think Derakon's example of for-scoped variables is the most obviously good use case.

Languages like Elm, F#, Haskell always put their variables at the top of the function. But those are paradigmatically functional languages so it's a lot easier to reason about the code anyway.
Old July 5, 2019, 23:38   #88
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I guess these days it matters less to me because I tend to write shorter functions than I used to, but in the past I found that putting definitions not at the top of functions was useful for figuring out what was used when. I think Angband is particularly bad in some of its older code for this. You have a 3 page long function with variable names like 'seen' and 'flag' which are defined at the top of a function and used twice somewhere in the middle. It's really difficult to understand what is going on.
I tend to be with takkaria on this one (not least because most of the C I write is for Angband). I also agree about the length of the functions, with calc_bonuses() and some of the object handling and targeting functions being among the big offenders.

All that said, my comment to PowerWyrm was mainly to encourage the continued finding of bugs in V code. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the 4.x.y releases where y > 0 are usually heavily loaded with bugfixes provided by PowerWyrm while implementing 4.x.y-1 features into PWMAngband
Old July 8, 2019, 08:28   #89
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately SDL2 is allergic to BCC for some reasons so I gave up porting SDL2 to PWMAngband. And it seems that you would need at least DX8 which isn't available in the header list of the compiler (SDL1 uses DX5 which seems supported).

Tags
libsdl2