[Announce] Composband 7.1.1 release

https://github.com/OwenGHB/composban...ases/tag/7.1.1

Changes since Composband 7.1.0
  • Fixed a bug with using tilesets.
  • Fixed multiple quest bugs
  • Tweaked some egos
  • increased the AC of many (most) monsters and uniques
  • Modified many artifacts, mostly for the better
  • New algorithm for generating coin piles, more coin piles, and reduced gold for selling items. Mining treasure veins may be more worth your time than selling. The idea is that valuable but useless to the character objects can still be sold to gain a leg up in the early game, but continuing to cart loot out of the dungeon will fade into irrelevance as the game progresses. Creeping mithril and adamantite coins are now much deeper and much stronger and low level thieves drop slightly more loot.
  • Added an auto-inscribe for the rare poison immunity object flag added in early composband
  • Made silver dragons and silver draconians playable races (their breath slows enemies and they have innate free action)
  • Replaced hex high mages with a new class "hexblade" (in the hybrids category)
  • Added a new class "chaos-mage", a spellcaster with a chaos patron (magic category)
  • Chaos patrons mark III: in trying to devise patron behaviour that would be more rewarding to magic-users whilst still making use of the original zangband reward tables, a system of differing personalities for the chaos patrons has been established, explained in the in-game helpfile accessible from the character menu. Chaos worshippers should be even more fun than before, and the differences between patrons clearer. This is a big change and feedback is welcomed.
  • Many of the new room templates were overly generous with the loot inside. They are more reasonable now.
  • Fixed King Ghidora not being able to crush mere dungeon walls
  • Fixed bug with removing sense living gear
  • Fixed remaining disconnected rooms using new room templates
  • You can now see (and travel to) staircases with the [ command (prompted by frogcomposband)
  • You can see your proficiency maximums in ~ P (prompted by frogcomposband)
  • ctrl+g no longer automatically picks up whatever you're standing on, you have g for that. it will also helpfully try to ID anything that's on your autopicker list as needing to be ID'd
  • runeswords no longer gain ac penalties upon feeding
  • removed some old debugging output for duelists
  • feedback on elemental brands and slays is more terse.
  • the chance to get extra dice on weapons of sharpness now looks at the number of sides of the weapon and the number of extra dice already given rather than the raw number of dice - before, 1d12 awl pikes were automatically qualifying for their first extra die if the were among the 50% of sharpness weapons allowed to roll for extra dice. This was an unexpected side effect of allowing the ego on polearms. Among sharpness ego weapons, 4d12 awl pikes should be rarer now (from roughly 8% to roughly 0.5%), and 8d6 blades of chaos more common (from less than 0.25% to roughly 3%).

The biggest part of this release is the chaos warrior update. All of the chaos patrons need playtesting. Many will probably not be tried. One big change that hits everyone is the radically new gold distribution algorithm, and feedback would be helpful here.

Last edited by Gwarl; May 12, 2019 at 13:25.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 04:17   #2
MITZE
Apprentice

MITZE is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

also ten characters

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.
MITZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 13:30   #3
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Thanks to Sideways for supplying a windows binary, available from the link above

To use it, download the source .zip and put the .exe in the same directory
Old May 12, 2019, 20:31   #4
TauzentBlitz
Scout

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
Hexblade only ever gets 1 Blow per round? I tried starting out as a nimble balrog hexblade and a warrior mage and while the warrior mage immediately starts off with 2.2 bpr with a short sword the hex blade only got 1, even with a main gauche.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 10:49   #5
Gwarl
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauzentBlitz View Post
Hexblade only ever gets 1 Blow per round? I tried starting out as a nimble balrog hexblade and a warrior mage and while the warrior mage immediately starts off with 2.2 bpr with a short sword the hex blade only got 1, even with a main gauche.
Thanks, I playtested chaos mage to CL50 and hexblade to CL25 or so without noticing their max blows had defaulted to 1.

Fixed in the master branch, but of course that won't be reflected in the downloaded binary. If we ask Sideways nicely he might make us a new one.
Old May 16, 2019, 18:37   #6
TauzentBlitz
Scout

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
Managed to compile it myself... and ran into the "Failed to created temporary file .C:\blahblahblah" error again. So I removed the period in front of the path name and now it works fine.

Quick starting a chaos mage seems to pick a random patron instead of your last patron.
The help file lists "increased abilities" and "augmented abilities" as 2 separate effects on some of the chaos patrons. What's the difference?
Some spells are slightly stronger (ex. mana burst) when used by a mage. Except Chaos mage.

Last edited by TauzentBlitz; May 17, 2019 at 20:14.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 15:20   #7
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
Had a bug playing as a Nexus Q.

Summons at ~dlvl 25 failed a LOT. Orcs nearly always, spiders often, giants often, despite there being dlvl 25 creatures of those types at that depth.

The most consistent summons were dragons, which nearly always gave me a pseudo dragon.

I think something is wrong with the original Pos code for Qs. Everything was working fine until I evolved.

I died soon after because my summons were worse. Sorry no savefile, but it should be easily recreated.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 15:37   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
In a specific dungeon? summons can be dependant on location as well. For instance natures gate has a high chance of summoning chameleons in graveyard just because very few animals can spawn there.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 20:07   #9
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
In quests, in the wilderness, in dungeons, wherever. I shouldve been able to summon orcs in orc caves at least.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 22:10   #10
Gwarl
Knight

Quote:
Quick starting a chaos mage seems to pick a random patron instead of your last patron.
Fixing this will break savefiles.. it'll be fixed in 7.2.0

Quote:
The help file lists "increased abilities" and "augmented abilities" as 2 separate effects on some of the chaos patrons. What's the difference?
increase means + to a single stat, augment means + to all stats

Quote:
Some spells are slightly stronger (ex. mana burst) when used by a mage. Except Chaos mage.
I'll look into that