AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 30, 2009, 17:49   #1
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
Compiling a "Windows Console" version

Hi All,

This is my first post here, but some of you may remember me from a few years ago (I wrote the Cthangband and Hellband variants).

After a long hiatus, I've got into Angband again, but I'm having trouble with the latest source.

I notice on the download page that the older versions (e.g. 3.0.9) have "Windows Console" versions for download, but the latest version (3.1.1 beta) doesn't.

How do I compile the "Windows Console" version for myself? Do I need to include a different "main-???" file other than "main-win"? Or do I include "main-win" but set various compiler options?

I have Visual Studio 2008, if that helps.
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 18:13   #2
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Anderson View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post here, but some of you may remember me from a few years ago (I wrote the Cthangband and Hellband variants).

After a long hiatus, I've got into Angband again, but I'm having trouble with the latest source.

I notice on the download page that the older versions (e.g. 3.0.9) have "Windows Console" versions for download, but the latest version (3.1.1 beta) doesn't.

How do I compile the "Windows Console" version for myself? Do I need to include a different "main-???" file other than "main-win"? Or do I include "main-win" but set various compiler options?

I have Visual Studio 2008, if that helps.

Wow, the man himself
I have sent you several emails to which you never replied so I thought you had fallen from the face of the earth
I kind of took over Hellband, you might want to give it a spin ;]

T.
Old November 30, 2009, 19:22   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Hi. I have a nasty suspicion that you mean main-ibm.c, which was (IIRC) removed during the GPL effort. Also known as the "DOS" port. I noticed only yesterday that it wasn't there any more. Best ask Takkaria if there's any scope for resurrecting it - not sure how much was un-GPL-able.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 19:33   #4
Dean Anderson
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Hi. I have a nasty suspicion that you mean main-ibm.c, which was (IIRC) removed during the GPL effort. Also known as the "DOS" port. I noticed only yesterday that it wasn't there any more. Best ask Takkaria if there's any scope for resurrecting it - not sure how much was un-GPL-able.
It might have been, but I'm doubtful. The "main-ibm.c" version was a DOS version - and should therefore run inside something like DOSBox - but DOSBox refuses to run the "Windows Console" version of 3.0.9 claiming it isn't a DOS executable...

I'll download the 3.0.9 source-code and see if that still includes "main-ibm.c"...

ETA: I've just checked, and the 3.0.9 source doesn't include "main-ibm.c", so it can't have been that unless someone manually patched it.

Last edited by Dean Anderson; November 30, 2009 at 19:39. Reason: Add info
Old November 30, 2009, 19:33   #5
Dean Anderson
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Wow, the man himself
I have sent you several emails to which you never replied so I thought you had fallen from the face of the earth
Sorry about that - I haven't checked that email address in years...

Quote:
I kind of took over Hellband, you might want to give it a spin ;]

T.
I'll do that.
Old November 30, 2009, 19:57   #6
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Dean,

Thanks so much for writing Cthangband. Back in college that variant was my favorite and really got me into Angband variants in general.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Old November 30, 2009, 21:24   #7
Dean Anderson
Adept

Found it (I think!)

The "makefile.win" file allows you to define the "USE_CONSOLE" variable, and that causes it to include "main_gcu.c" instead of "main_win.c". However, it requires the Windows version of the PDCurses library if you want to use it on Windows.

Hopefully, I'll be able to shoehorn that into a Visual Studio project and get it to work (I can't stand makefiles - I much prefer an IDE with an integrated debugger...)
Old November 30, 2009, 21:40   #8
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Quote:
Found it (I think!)

The "makefile.win" file allows you to define the "USE_CONSOLE" variable, and that causes it to include "main_gcu.c" instead of "main_win.c". However, it requires the Windows version of the PDCurses library if you want to use it on Windows.

Hopefully, I'll be able to shoehorn that into a Visual Studio project and get it to work (I can't stand makefiles - I much prefer an IDE with an integrated debugger...)
Awesome, let me know if you can make hellband work in that IDE as well, I could use a debugger as well

T.
Old November 30, 2009, 21:56   #9
Dean Anderson
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Awesome, let me know if you can make hellband work in that IDE as well, I could use a debugger as well

T.
Depends how much you've changed it, but all my Hellband code was written in Visual Studio in the first place, so you should be able to simply create a project (A Win32 Application - make sure you click the "Empty Project" option) and add the files...
Old November 30, 2009, 22:29   #10
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Quote:
Depends how much you've changed it, but all my Hellband code was written in Visual Studio in the first place, so you should be able to simply create a project (A Win32 Application - make sure you click the "Empty Project" option) and add the files...
I did not change much to the structure of the game.
For giggles, I created a new Win32 app, put c files under Source Files, h files under Header Files and angband.res and angband.rc under resource files.

Then I noticed a booboo where MS is less forgiving than GNU

Code:
/*
 * Birth item info
 */
typedef struct birth_item birth_item;
struct birth_item
{
	byte race;				/* Race of the counterpart */
	byte class;			/* Class of the counterpart */
had to become

t
Code:
ypedef struct birth_item birth_item;
struct birth_item
{
	byte prace;				/* Race of the counterpart */
	byte pclass;			/* Class of the counterpart */
Still, it seem that there are header problems, every single variable that is extern cannot be found when linking birth.c

1>birth.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "struct player_race p_race" (?p_race@@3Uplayer_race@@A)
1>birth.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "char reallyTRUE" (?reallyTRUE@@3DA)
1>birth.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "unsigned long __cdecl Rand_div(unsigned long)" (?Rand_div@@YAKK@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl create_random_name(int,unsigned char,char *)" (?create_random_name@@YAXHEPAD@Z)
1>birth.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "unsigned long __cdecl Rand_num(unsigned long)" (?Rand_num@@YAKK@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl create_random_name(int,unsigned char,char *)" (?create_random_name@@YAXHEPAD@Z)
1>birth.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "char rand_unbiased" (?rand_unbiased@@3DA)

And this ad nauseum until 101 thingies are not found, and thats the end of it.

T.