Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old December 16, 2010, 22:47   #1
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Welcome to dl99!

This is what greeted my Dwarven Rogue on reaching dl99 for the first time:

Code:

Dwarf                                                                           
Master Thief                                              #########             
Rogue                                                     #.........            
LEVEL     47                                              #...@.....            
NXT   688265                                              #.........            
AU    328460                                              #.V......             
/}=="~[()]]]                                              ......p.j             
Str:  18/200                                               .......              
INT!  18/130                                                 ...   M            
WIS:  18/152                                                                    
DEX:  18/209                                                                    
CON:  18/***                                                                    
Chr:       3                                                                    

Cur AC   137                                                                    
HP 1020/1020                                                                    
SP  237/ 237                                                                    

[**********]                                                                    

Fast (+29)                                                                      
4950' (L99)  Full Study (4)                                                     
For the record, that's Sauron, Thurwengwethil, the Lernean Hydra, and (just to be cruel) an acidic cytoplasm. 3 of those 4 will be waking up in another part of the dungeon...though I do have acid immunity so maybe I'll leave the j.

Also, sorry if this is RTFM type stuff, but how does one dump a character to put it on the ladder? This guy is my first attempt at diving, and I wanted to share thoughts/get advice along the way but could not for the life of me figure out how to do it. Thx!
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010, 22:55   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
'C' to view character, the 'f' to save the character to a file, then upload the file to the ladder.

And psh, if you can't take all four of those on at once, then you don't deserve to win.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 03:51   #3
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Run away! Don't you know Sauron gets twice as strong when you have very low charisma?

oh sorry, wrong thread

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 05:37   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
'C' to view character, the 'f' to save the character to a file, then upload the file to the ladder.

And psh, if you can't take all four of those on at once, then you don't deserve to win.
That's semi-serious comment. You will be facing much worse opponents against Morgoth, so taking them all at once should not be a problem except that Sauron is a summoner, and open space like that is a murder in this case. Retreat to corridor find a turn and you could take all of them at once.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 21:41   #5
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Dump...

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10908

...and now YASD.

A quick glance both reveals the cause and could have prevented this. Rearranged my kit to use my endgame weapon (Great Axe of Fury +2) and Hammerhand, neglected to notice this left me without R-elec. Totally careless - took the basic 4 for granted since I had so many artifacts my main concern was keeping rConf and poison covered. Could have survived the ensuing Great Wyrm of Many Colours breath anyway by casting resistance, but got distracted setting up to fight Uriel.

This was my first diving attempt, and first death after cl30 since I stopped save scumming, which hurts. It went pretty well though I could have dove faster. I hung around forever once getting to stat-gain depth with limited success procuring potions before giving up and diving again. I had pictured from what I'd read of diving that one could sit at 1500 and pretty much max out stats though did not remotely find that to be the case - so I'm guessing I misinterpreted how most divers do it.

Only real close calls were really early when a baby white dragon ran me around and thankfully held off breathing until I found stairs, and once when I got swamped by Dreads who seemed to cast nether bolt every round around dl 50 - took me down to about 20 hp so I destructed.

I have to give a huge kudos to the devs - amazing new features (I played 3.1.2) and look forward to 3.2 - thanks for the hard work! Didn't see this in the changelog for 3.2, my only pet-peeve that comes to mind with this version is for ID-artifact to occur on pickup, rather than on walk-over. Found myself having to clear out slots just to pick up and drop a bunch of items after clearing demon pits; and there's no "held" flag to indicate which items had been checked already.
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:13   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Whoops! I almost did that with my current character -- I found Thorin, tried it on, said "Score! 100 more HP to play with and acid immunity!" and then checked my resistances and realized I'd left rElec wide open.

As for stat gain, typically my V characters are nowhere near maxed until well, well after stat potions are in-depth. In fact, I've had a couple of winners who didn't max all their stats at all -- generally leaving their non-spell stat and charisma un-maxed. The important thing isn't to have your stats maxed, but to have enough hitpoints to dive and offensive capability to kill select targets.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:44   #7
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
I've done that with free action before, char was probably a winner but I got to see 1000 hp go to zero fighting a gelugon, unable to even move

Pre-paralyze stacking change though.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:53   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
I've done that with free action before, char was probably a winner but I got to see 1000 hp go to zero fighting a gelugon, unable to even move

Pre-paralyze stacking change though.
You can take comfort from the fact that a gelugon doesn't need many rounds to kill you, so the stacking change would probably not have saved you.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 01:47   #9
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Gelugons are nasty. Once a demon summoned a big room full of those. I was going to read ?phase to retreat, but then thought: "what the heck, im immune to cold, i can just walk out."

The Gelugon breathes shards(x6) -more-
You die.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote