AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 20, 2016, 09:07   #11
Will
Apprentice

Will is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Just curious if other people get flustered when things get tough and rush and make mistakes.
I'd say that's a natural reaction that you'd better learn to fight. Angband is turn-based and by rushing you're negating this advantage.

In real time games it's usually better to make a quick, bad decision than no decision at all. In turn-based games you've got infinite time to think about your next move.

When the going gets tough, breathe, look at your inventory, look at your equipment, assess the situation, decide if a consumable or power can help, then act.

I also tend to walk away from the keyboard after a great find (like a great artifact). The elation from finding it is usually bad news. Last time I didn't do that was on my mage who found 2 artifacts on the same level. He died on the next encounter.

Even when powerdiving, angband is a game of patience. Don't play when tired, don't play when unfocused, don't play when excited
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016, 09:49   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Doh! I generally use energy as the basic unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Backwards. At normal speed, every 10 game turns gets you 1 player turn. At +10 speed, every 5 game turns gets you 1 player turn. Game turns are "absolute time", player turns happen in more or fewer game turns depending on player speed.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016, 15:46   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Doh! I generally use energy as the basic unit.
Yeah, the part I left out is that the way game turns work is that in each game turn, every actor (player + monsters) is given some energy dependent on their speed, and when an actor gets to at least 100 speed, they gain an action. At normal speed, you get 10 energy per game turn, thus it takes 10 game turns to get an action. At +10 speed, you get 20 energy per game turn, at +20 speed, you get 30 energy. But starting at +27 speed, you start getting less than 1 energy per additional point in speed, and you can never get above 49 energy per game turn (at something like +70 speed).

Speed has "diminishing returns" in the sense that it's a linear bonus that is usually measured in an exponential fashion (2x as fast, 3x as fast, etc.), but it also has diminishing returns in that you just flat out get less per point past a certain point in the scale.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 10:37   #14
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Killed Bullroarer with two arrows on DL16 (found a short bow of power in the store). He dropped weaponmastery. Not bad... not bad.... WM starts showing up at what DL70 or deeper?
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 11:10   #15
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
not only that, but the amulet slot is practically useless until DL40, as you only get resist fire / frost / lightning / acid until then.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 11:33   #16
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
not only that, but the amulet slot is practically useless until DL40, as you only get resist fire / frost / lightning / acid until then.
Amulets of searching [+7] are nice, too. But yea, can't argue with weaponmastery early on with pFear, rDisenchant (great for those pesky dwarves) and FrAct, the sustains and the damage.

I think the phial should cure blindness upon activation. I keep getting blinded by Dark hounds, and this phial's description says "near it, darkness cannot endure" and yet, unless i quaff a !CLW, I will be in the dark for some time. Seems like a good alternative to giving it rDark which would be OP.

Found a staff of the magi on DL21 1-7 feeling. Not sure how restoring some mana and restoring one stat is valued so high?

Last edited by Grotug; November 22, 2016 at 11:46.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 16:40   #17
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Amulets of searching [+7] are nice, too.
Why? I squelch them right away, finding them nearly as worthless as Adornment. Infravision (unless class has it naturally, and even then to increase the range) or Slow Digestion (especially for Half-trolls) are my early go-to amulets. Lightning or Acid if I don't have the resist, as a swap. Searching? Never. I'm very interested to find why you think it is so good.

Staff of Magi is arguably the best staff out there for casters. Essentially unlimited mana if you have a recharging spell (or stack of scrolls). A mage or priest with unlimited mana, now that's powerful!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 17:15   #18
Will
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Wisdom for priest/paladin, regen for others, both are very nice.
Old November 22, 2016, 18:07   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Wisdom for priest/paladin, regen for others, both are very nice.
Yeah, but I don't consider those the "early" amulets. Those are great early finds for a priest/paladin (Wisdom) or any Non-Half-Troll (Regen).
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016, 19:08   #20
Will
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Yeah, but I don't consider those the "early" amulets. Those are great early finds for a priest/paladin (Wisdom) or any Non-Half-Troll (Regen).
Resist Acid/Lightning, Infra and Searching start from lvl 10 while Wisdom starts from lvl 20 but it's a lot more common (alloc 50 vs 20) than the last 2. Regen is indeed a bit more uncommon and starts to drop deeper.

Tags
secret area, secrets, special room, trap, vault