Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 14, 2011, 15:15   #51
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
So the character is never to know what any of their gear weighs beyond "light", "bulky", etc? They aren't even allowed to say "This weighs just about exactly as much as 10 of my CCW potions"? Given two items to compare, you can act as a pretty accurate scale just by holding the items in your two hands -- and you can devise some means of units. If it's not pounds then it can be something like daggers or potions. This information is readily-available to any character willing to take a few turns to compare the new item to their gear, and given that our characters are already taking notes on everything else they see I have real trouble with them not being willing to weigh their gear too.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011, 18:25   #52
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Eddie: I think I'd notice weight sometimes. Certainly I'd notice the difference between an entirely weightless DSM and a normal one. Even minor variations can be good for flavor, though, regardless of how much of an impact they have on your decision making.
You are talking about impact. I am talking about whether the player notices.

The way to get flavor is if you get a message telling you it weighs less than you think it ought to. If you never notice the difference, it is as if the difference never existed in the first place. People who say the current armors vary by a few ounces could be considered correct, at a minimum they are not incorrect, but because that info is never imparted to the player, it has no flavor.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011, 18:51   #53
Derakon
Prophet

Hm, I'd consider it to add flavor even if the only way to notice was to compare the weights of different items that are nominally the same type. Just because the game doesn't direct your attention to it doesn't mean it's not there. But that's frankly pretty minor.
Old April 15, 2011, 17:57   #54
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
What about a weightless ethereal dragon scale mail? Not an ego, but from the flavor point of view it makes some sense.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2011, 18:43   #55
Derakon
Prophet

We could easily replace Pseudo DSM with Ethereal DSM and, if so desired, make it weightless.
Old April 15, 2011, 21:44   #56
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
We could easily replace Pseudo DSM with Ethereal DSM and, if so desired, make it weightless.
That would be pretty cool... though, I wonder if one could actually "see" Ethereal armor in general without SeeInvis... Kind of like Wonder Woman flying her "invisible jet"; how'd she ever see the controls?

Yes, I am a smart ass (arse).
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote