Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old August 8, 2011, 23:37   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
First 3.4 dev version

Hi all,

Lots of people submitted interesting pull requests during the last few weeks of testing 3.3.0. Although we had the facility to merge them without affecting 3.3, we got busy with RL so nobody did. We've finally caught up on the backlog - with apologies to all the contributors, here's the list of changes for the first 3.4 dev version (which should be available from rephial.org at some point in the next few hours):

- significantly improved tile support thanks to a ton of commits from Blubaron - still work in progress, but we are now well on the way to supporting Shockbolt's tiles

- Nomad's updated 8x16 tiles

- some changes to make stealth less of a no-brainer and harder to rack up, and to make monsters have more rational alertness (thanks to both Jens and fizzix for work on this)

- changes to occurrence of consumables in stacks so certain things aren't so obvious (thanks again to Jens)

- changes to monsters' to-hit vs. AC, redressing the balance slightly against tough melee monsters (Jens once again)

- changes to summoning to make it work better and be less game-breaking (thanks again to fizzix)

- further improvements to pits and nests (thanks CunningGabe)

Please quote that version string in any bug reports etc. You can find this in chardumps, or by pressing V in the game.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:30   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Ooops. That's what I get for assuming that a couple of minor compile warnings on Windows won't hold it up if it builds fine on Linux ...

... we apologise for the delay. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible ...
Old August 12, 2011, 09:52   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Ok - this version has actually been built, but is not yet available from rephial (the "nightlies" page is still tracking the 3.3-release branch). If you want it, the Windows version is here.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:16   #4
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Ok - this version has actually been built, but is not yet available from rephial (the "nightlies" page is still tracking the 3.3-release branch). If you want it, the Windows version is here.
I get an immediate "angband.exe has stopped working" error as soon as I try to start the program. (Windows 7 64-bit.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011, 10:24   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I get an immediate "angband.exe has stopped working" error as soon as I try to start the program. (Windows 7 64-bit.)
Thanks for testing - I did fear as much. We'll fix this ASAP.
Old August 12, 2011, 14:13   #6
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I can replicate this under WINE on an x86_64 Linux machine.

Interestingly, the last two public staging builds (at http://buildbot.rephial.org/builds/staging/builds.html) fail with this error, but the one before it works. So it seems like the PNG transparency changes (or something else in that mix of commits) is to blame.

I can build any of those versions from source and they work fine on my machine (under WINE).

Last edited by d_m; August 12, 2011 at 17:41.
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011, 14:45   #7
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
feedback on monster summons would be greatly appreciated. Right now you should see much less dangerous summons from, say, Lorgan. But Morgoth should be pretty much just as powerful as he was.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 16:25   #8
Blue Baron
Adept

Blue Baron is on a distinguished road
The crash problem (for me) is that a file I added, graphics.txt, is not in the package, and the code I wrote, does not handle the absence well.

For now, attached is a graphics.txt that can be copied to the angband/lib/graf/ directory, and it should work.
Attached Files
File Type: txt graphics.txt (1.5 KB, 127 views)
Blue Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 16:50   #9
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baron View Post
The crash problem (for me) is that a file I added, graphics.txt, is not in the package, and the code I wrote, does not handle the absence well.

For now, attached is a graphics.txt that can be copied to the angband/lib/graf/ directory, and it should work.
Yep, that's fixed the crash for me on Windows 7.

Although I now have a new graphical bug with my tile set where there are random black squares scattered across the town. In ASCII mode they appear to be green dot floor tiles instead of the customary white ones: are they level feeling tiles accidentally made visible?
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 18:19   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
This should be fixed in the latest nightly.

For now, please go to http://buildbot.rephial.org/builds/master/builds.html to download nightly builds. I think Takkaria is on vacation, and the nightlies there are still tracking the 3.3-release branch.