Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 23:50   #1
Twilight
Apprentice
 
Twilight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 58
Twilight is on a distinguished road
Somewhat good start.

While glugging potions for ID on the stairs down at 250ft I got a nice surprise with my new dwarf priest.

First time it's happened this early for me since the limitations on XP-potions were removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Experiencev2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	459  
__________________
It's better to burn out than to fade away!
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2010, 23:55   #2
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,135
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Holy cow, XP potions are a flat 100k every time now? That makes them considerably more awesome in the early game.

Edit: to clarify, they used to be 50% of your current XP, or 100k, whichever was smaller. Which meant that there was a fairly narrow range in which they had significant use, with much less utility on either end (either you didn't get the full benefit, or you had so much experience that all they did was bring you 20% closer to your next level).

Last edited by Derakon; July 1, 2010 at 00:20.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 00:08   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,080
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
While glugging potions for ID on the stairs down at 250ft I got a nice surprise with my new dwarf priest.

First time it's happened this early for me since the limitations on XP-potions were removed.
24 levels in one move. That's hard to beat. Which version is this? Is it flat 100k XP in 3.1.2v2 or is this some DEV-version?

If this is a comp char you got a flying start.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 00:16   #4
Twilight
Apprentice
 
Twilight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 58
Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
24 levels in one move. That's hard to beat. Which version is this? Is it flat 100k XP in 3.1.2v2 or is this some DEV-version?

If this is a comp char you got a flying start.
I don't know if this was in 3.1.2v2. This is dev r1981 and unfortunately not a comp character .

Edit. The cap-removal is implemented in 3.1.2v2 (checked the source).

When checking for the timing of this I found that it was done over a year ago on the dev-site.
__________________
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Last edited by Twilight; July 1, 2010 at 00:22.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 07:32   #5
ewert
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 523
ewert is on a distinguished road
Darn, that's good to know it is not capped anymore. I've saved early xp potions for 200k xp before, not anymore.

As for that screencap, lol.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 07:47   #6
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=1518

Same thing happened to me, it was great fun, but I still ended up dying. *Sigh* Don't let it get to your head!
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 10:03   #7
Twilight
Apprentice
 
Twilight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 58
Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=1518

Same thing happened to me, it was great fun, but I still ended up dying. *Sigh* Don't let it get to your head!
Well - it earns you a couple of hours of safety when you dive, but you'll soon catch up to "your depth". You still have to find the stairs on the way down though ... (and avoid being tempted by anything) to save a few turns in the end.
__________________
It's better to burn out than to fade away!
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 10:39   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,080
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Well - it earns you a couple of hours of safety when you dive, but you'll soon catch up to "your depth". You still have to find the stairs on the way down though ... (and avoid being tempted by anything) to save a few turns in the end.
It also twists the game in a way that your clvl is much higher level than your gear, so it might cause some unexpected problems adjusting your playing style "Hey, I have plenty of HP I can do this and I can do that and I forgot that that one breathes this much because I usually have resists for it and now I'm dead".
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 11:12   #9
Twilight
Apprentice
 
Twilight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 58
Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
It also twists the game in a way that your clvl is much higher level than your gear, so it might cause some unexpected problems adjusting your playing style "Hey, I have plenty of HP I can do this and I can do that and I forgot that that one breathes this much because I usually have resists for it and now I'm dead".
True, but dive-style play makes one hopefully more aware of the risks of overconfidence. At 1800' atm with not much of anything in resists. No FA, but this isn't that unusual at this point of this kind of game. Basically I'm "caught up", or almost anyway.
__________________
It's better to burn out than to fade away!
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 11:49   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,080
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
True, but dive-style play makes one hopefully more aware of the risks of overconfidence. At 1800' atm with not much of anything in resists. No FA, but this isn't that unusual at this point of this kind of game. Basically I'm "caught up", or almost anyway.
FA isn't actually much a problem in current vanilla if you just have high AC and decent saving throw. I made some testing and you can recover from completely surrounded by ghouls if you just have high enough HP, AC somewhere in 75+ and saving throw in 75-80% or something which shouldn't take long to achieve with Dwarf Priest (32 + 9 + (1.2 x 24) = ~70% already without counting WIS-bonus. Against single ghoul in corridor I suspect that much less than that is required to survive. High AC helps to avoid paralyzation attacks and those that get thru has saving throw size chance to fail to paralyze you.

Later in game when even one turn without action can be fatal you would need to be more careful.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start at clvl/dlvl 20 Derakon Vanilla 73 May 14, 2010 17:26
Does start game stats matter anymore after reaching/exploiting stat gain depth?? Nemesis Vanilla 18 October 5, 2009 02:26
Angband doesn't start Narvius Vanilla 15 December 19, 2008 15:18
Can't start 3.0.9 Iren Vanilla 4 February 22, 2008 10:54
[FA] A Good Start! Slonk AAR 0 October 20, 2007 23:20


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.