Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 30, 2010, 23:50   #1
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Somewhat good start.

While glugging potions for ID on the stairs down at 250ft I got a nice surprise with my new dwarf priest.

First time it's happened this early for me since the limitations on XP-potions were removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Experiencev2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	459  
Old June 30, 2010, 23:55   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Holy cow, XP potions are a flat 100k every time now? That makes them considerably more awesome in the early game.

Edit: to clarify, they used to be 50% of your current XP, or 100k, whichever was smaller. Which meant that there was a fairly narrow range in which they had significant use, with much less utility on either end (either you didn't get the full benefit, or you had so much experience that all they did was bring you 20% closer to your next level).

Last edited by Derakon; July 1, 2010 at 00:20.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 00:08   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
While glugging potions for ID on the stairs down at 250ft I got a nice surprise with my new dwarf priest.

First time it's happened this early for me since the limitations on XP-potions were removed.
24 levels in one move. That's hard to beat. Which version is this? Is it flat 100k XP in 3.1.2v2 or is this some DEV-version?

If this is a comp char you got a flying start.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 00:16   #4
Twilight
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
24 levels in one move. That's hard to beat. Which version is this? Is it flat 100k XP in 3.1.2v2 or is this some DEV-version?

If this is a comp char you got a flying start.
I don't know if this was in 3.1.2v2. This is dev r1981 and unfortunately not a comp character .

Edit. The cap-removal is implemented in 3.1.2v2 (checked the source).

When checking for the timing of this I found that it was done over a year ago on the dev-site.

Last edited by Twilight; July 1, 2010 at 00:22.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 07:32   #5
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Darn, that's good to know it is not capped anymore. I've saved early xp potions for 200k xp before, not anymore.

As for that screencap, lol.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 07:47   #6
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=1518

Same thing happened to me, it was great fun, but I still ended up dying. *Sigh* Don't let it get to your head!
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010, 10:03   #7
Twilight
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=1518

Same thing happened to me, it was great fun, but I still ended up dying. *Sigh* Don't let it get to your head!
Well - it earns you a couple of hours of safety when you dive, but you'll soon catch up to "your depth". You still have to find the stairs on the way down though ... (and avoid being tempted by anything) to save a few turns in the end.
Old July 1, 2010, 10:39   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Well - it earns you a couple of hours of safety when you dive, but you'll soon catch up to "your depth". You still have to find the stairs on the way down though ... (and avoid being tempted by anything) to save a few turns in the end.
It also twists the game in a way that your clvl is much higher level than your gear, so it might cause some unexpected problems adjusting your playing style "Hey, I have plenty of HP I can do this and I can do that and I forgot that that one breathes this much because I usually have resists for it and now I'm dead".
Old July 1, 2010, 11:12   #9
Twilight
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
It also twists the game in a way that your clvl is much higher level than your gear, so it might cause some unexpected problems adjusting your playing style "Hey, I have plenty of HP I can do this and I can do that and I forgot that that one breathes this much because I usually have resists for it and now I'm dead".
True, but dive-style play makes one hopefully more aware of the risks of overconfidence. At 1800' atm with not much of anything in resists. No FA, but this isn't that unusual at this point of this kind of game. Basically I'm "caught up", or almost anyway.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:49   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
True, but dive-style play makes one hopefully more aware of the risks of overconfidence. At 1800' atm with not much of anything in resists. No FA, but this isn't that unusual at this point of this kind of game. Basically I'm "caught up", or almost anyway.
FA isn't actually much a problem in current vanilla if you just have high AC and decent saving throw. I made some testing and you can recover from completely surrounded by ghouls if you just have high enough HP, AC somewhere in 75+ and saving throw in 75-80% or something which shouldn't take long to achieve with Dwarf Priest (32 + 9 + (1.2 x 24) = ~70% already without counting WIS-bonus. Against single ghoul in corridor I suspect that much less than that is required to survive. High AC helps to avoid paralyzation attacks and those that get thru has saving throw size chance to fail to paralyze you.

Later in game when even one turn without action can be fatal you would need to be more careful.